Post-Game Talk: Pens get outplayed|going to game 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I haven't seen him "kick a puck into his own net", like he did against the islanders.
I thought his worst goals were whiffs, like unscreened shots from the point, or that weak backhander.
He's done that 3/4 times this series, yes. But I think he looks better than Ryan Miller did for the Blues. And that guy justifies even more money.

Check out this Toews goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_TjRrrQjQ

I'm not saying he has this year. I'm just saying fleury supporters these days, since he hasn't repeated the islanders series its the team and defenses fault. To a certain extent it is, but he hasnt shown brilliance outside of two games this playoffs, one in each series.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think the Issue is Crosby is trying to do too much. I think in this case you need the team to alieviate pressure from him. I think since the olympics he has been trying to prove his worth and he may be worn down from trying too hard... he needs the team to support him and I just dont think they are built to do so...

That may have been a legitimate excuse before Malkin was on his line but not now. It's okay to criticize him when he's not generating much and forcing blind back handed passes to nobody when he has an open lane to shoot. Then when he shoots, they are muffins into lundqvist's chest. For whatever reason (injuries, frustration, etc) he is not playing like a number 1 center, let alone the best in the world.

Last edited:

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
It was the first goal of the series scored by Pouliot, it was very stoppable, it was probably the worst goal he gave up this series.

I thought the McDonough goal was the worst.
The backhander last night made me cringe. He's definitely hasn't been a solution - he gives up weak goals in what seems like the worst possible time. At the same time, I wouldn't describe the goaltending as "atrocious".

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Were we going to win 1-0?????

MAF isnt playing great, but he is playing well enough for us to win... Its just noone else is.

Well if backhanders from the circle were going through Lundqvist or rebounds from routine shots were placed right in front, then we would have had at least 2 goals. So yeah, goaltending made a difference last night.

That said, we still didn't play very well and don't think we deserved to win anyway. But sometimes you need a goalie to steal a game for you. I can't remember the last time that's happened for the Pens.

DeadGator401

Feb 7, 2011
Good post. I agree. However, why are the Pens managment so stupid, ignorant, arrogant and/or stubborn to realize this, and start using the same tactics?? Remember earlier in the series when Borts crosschecked St. Louis a tad after the whistle? That is literally the only time in these entire playoffs that I've seen anything resembling nastiness from this group of puffs. Dubinsky mauled Sid last series. No response from us or the refs. Staal and Moore this series. No response again. Where the hell are our physical players and pests to make life miserable for the other team? Oh that's right, Lemiuex wanted rid of them all. We don't play that way here in Pittsburgh. Hope he's happy

My only gripe with this is that when the Penguins do get engaged in stuff after plays, everyone loses their minds. Philly and Boston come to mind.
People start to complain about that's not how the team is and whatnot. Letang reverts mentally back to a 16 year old whose Xbox was taken from him ect.

I agree Crosby is getting his ass kicked. Game 5, down 4-1 with what 3 mins left. Perfect time to send a message. They didn't.

It sucks, because I'm going to read everything I can, listen to everything possible until game 7 tomorrow, but I know deep down that it's all about want and desire. Screw anyone's analysis about whatever. I just haven't seen any desire to win in the Pens the past 2 games. It's extremely disappointing.

Fire Shero*

The goal that ******* allowed last night was atrocious. 2 goals on the first 7 shots. We came out a bit flat and Fleury took what little else was left out of our tires.

**** face better not be a penguin much longer. 5 years of this garbage is enough, isn't it? Please fire Shero so that Fleury will be gone too.

A competent team wouldn't send their goalie who is a liability to therapy, they would have found a better goalie years ago. What will be Shero's genius idea this summer? Send him to 90 days of treatment?

psu711

Jan 29, 2007
Allentown
The Fleury debate is getting old. Let's say that weak ass backhand doesn't go in. It makes the game very unique and different to the one we see. I hate when they say "But were we going to win 1-0!??!" no... but the Rangers would have been holding on for dear life w/ our pressure as opposed to comfortable w/ a two goal lead.

You mean after their D kicked a puck in their own net right?
Everything is shoulda/coulda/woulda...

We have one goal from Geno on roids and another owngoal in the last 2 games, but everything is flowers fault? <- That is what gets old.

Im not saying he has played great, but he is not the problem right now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm talking about their entire careers here bro. Their entire careers.

We saw Toews have a complete breakdown last year agt Detroit, and he has way more talent and top end coaching around him than Crosby.

This org has surrounded their two generational talents with poor coaching, atrocious goaltending, and their "best" winger has as much heart as the tin man.

I wish Crosby would play better, but he has been a band-aid for this org for years and because of that the roster and proper coaching was allowed to be sup-par.

So no, I'm not turning on him. I appreciate all he has done for this team and people who want to blast him, cool.

I agree with you in general, but it's okay to legitimately criticize a player's performance this year without turning on him or blasting him. He's playing with Malkin right now and still turning pucks over left and right, making poor decisions, looks to be lacking that drive to succeed, and sending muffins on net when he actually decides to shoot. He has been great on faceoffs and played very well in Game 2, but he needs to be better. It's okay to admit that.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
My only gripe with this is that when the Penguins do get engaged in stuff after plays, everyone loses their minds. Philly and Boston come to mind.
People start to complain about that's not how the team is and whatnot. Letang reverts mentally back to a 16 year old whose Xbox was taken from him ect.

I agree Crosby is getting his ass kicked. Game 5, down 4-1 with what 3 mins left. Perfect time to send a message. They didn't.

It sucks, because I'm going to read everything I can, listen to everything possible until game 7 tomorrow, but I know deep down that it's all about want and desire. Screw anyone's analysis about whatever. I just haven't seen any desire to win in the Pens the past 2 games. It's extremely disappointing.

I don't really recall those guys losing their minds all that much a few years ago when we had the Talbots, Roberts, Cooke's, Asham's, Rupp's, etc of the league. Sure Sid, Geno, Letang, etc got into a few dust ups, but going repeatedly off the deep end didn't happen much. That's because we had a team chalked full of guys that took care of that stuff. Sid and Geno could just concentrate on playing.

Fire Shero*

We have one goal from Geno on roids and another owngoal in the last 2 games, but everything is flowers fault? <- That is what gets old.

When the opposing goalie is Lundqvist, we cannot afford for our pathetic goalie to give up such a terrible goal. Fleury dug us a huge hole.

I would get rattled too if my goalie gave up 2 goals on the first 7 shots.

The bottom line is that it is totally unacceptable that he is still on this team.

dvonfunk

Jun 25, 2013
You're spot-on, but that's the way hockey is unfortunately. And players like Crosby are the first to defend the joke NHL culture, so there is nothing we can do

I get that there is nothing we can do, it's just frustrating as hell, and it's just one of the many reasons hockey is not as popular as it potentially could be. Grind-it-out playoff hockey is not every viewer's cup of tea. But that's a whole other issue entirely...

Good post. I agree. However, why are the Pens managment so stupid, ignorant, arrogant and/or stubborn to realize this, and start using the same tactics?? Remember earlier in the series when Borts crosschecked St. Louis a tad after the whistle? That is literally the only time in these entire playoffs that I've seen anything resembling nastiness from this group of puffs. Dubinsky mauled Sid last series. No response from us or the refs. Staal and Moore this series. No response again. Where the hell are our physical players and pests to make life miserable for the other team? Oh that's right, Lemiuex wanted rid of them all. We don't play that way here in Pittsburgh. Hope he's happy

That's what I meant about accountability, from the ownership on down. Knowing that playoff hockey is what is and probably will never change, and seeing teams like the Bruins continually thrive using that blueprint, it's on the management to adapt and construct a team that can succeed under those premises. This management has failed to do so.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
When the opposing goalie is Lundqvist, we cannot afford for our pathetic goalie to give up such a terrible goal. Fleury dug us a huge hole.

The bottom line is that it is totally unacceptable that he is still on this team.

The team was playing like ass from the anthem. Quit acting like this is all MAF's fault.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
The Fleury debate is getting old. Let's say that weak ass backhand doesn't go in. It makes the game very unique and different to the one we see. I hate when they say "But were we going to win 1-0!??!" no... but the Rangers would have been holding on for dear life w/ our pressure as opposed to comfortable w/ a two goal lead.

That isn't really what I'm saying.
I guess one should remove any hindsight bias before watching the Pens, unless they have the need to raise their blood pressure for some reason.

Ehh in all honesty this probably isn't a good time to say anything in Fleury's defense.

Here's a good abstract for everyone to read

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14562872

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I thought the McDonough goal was the worst.
The backhander last night made me cringe. He's definitely hasn't been a solution - he gives up weak goals in what seems like the worst possible time. At the same time, I wouldn't describe the goaltending as "atrocious".

It's hilarious were arguing what goal that MAFlop lets in is most backbreaking- instead of teams like Chi arguing what save Crawford made was the best. Top to bottom this team REAKS mediocrity. Losing is fully acceptable from Shero right on down to the fourth line

(also, for me it was Hagelins goal)

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You are making a strong point if it wasn't so consistent w/ #29. That being said - i still want to see him, Letang, etc. in a defensive style system. I blame DB for too much. I don't know if it's just my rage or what.

Also dvonfunk made one strong point - hard work beats talent when talent doesn't want to work hard. It is the main thing I would say when I send DB packing.

I honestly just wish DB learned his lesson and evolved into a strong Pens coach. He's damn good. The players love him. But the result on the ice is quite obvious.

psu711

Jan 29, 2007
Allentown

Thne suit up and skate tomorrow night bc you are no better than any of these guys making millions.

The slightest sign of adverstiy and this team crumbles. Terrible coaching, no leadership (Im talking to you C, A, A) and no heart.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Who on here has said everything is Flower's fault? The poster said if you reversed goalies we win. I'm not necessarily agreeing (because there are too many variables at play there), but Lundqvist certainly doesn't let in that backhander and likely covers the puck on their 3rd goal. I mean, Fleury hardly battled for that.

The dude is average, which would be fine if his average was consistent. But it's great one game, brutal the next. Great one period, sieve the next. You just can't count on him to show up when it matters. That's the problem.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Thne suit up and skate tomorrow night bc you are no better than any of these guys making millions.

The slightest sign of adverstiy and this team crumbles. Terrible coaching, no leadership (Im talking to you C, A, A) and no heart.

And backbreaking goaltending. Just admit it. It's an all of the above thing. You seem to want to defend Fleury's honor which is really strange.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Just look at Brassard's goal in game 5, the 3rd goal of the game for the Rags.

I don't care that the others are kinda standing around. WTF is he doing on his back? I get having to dive laterally on an east west pass, but the three shot attempts come from the EXACT same spot, straight on, where all he has to do is hold his ground in a butterfly stance.

Yet there he is, flopping around like a dead fish. Same thing on the third goal last night. People are going to blame Letang and Martin, but again, he dives to cover a puck he can't get to instead of holding his ground. Let's not forget that he also allows yet another rebound from a horrible angle.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
You are making a strong point if it wasn't so consistent w/ #29. That being said - i still want to see him, Letang, etc. in a defensive style system. I blame DB for too much. I don't know if it's just my rage or what.

That's why I would want to see Fleury play out the last year of his contract before moving him. You might as well.

An unsound system (or a very, very bad team) can ruin a player. I've seen it happen in a bunch of different sports (lots of NFL 1st Round QB busts, lots of NBA players, all positions)

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
If anyone wants to argue that MAF is even on the top 5 issues with this team especially in this series... they are simply closeminded on him. There are far greater issues at hand here.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I will give Fleury the benefit of the doubt. This has been his best performance in the playoffs in a long time. He hasn't been a huge **** up, but there is no denying that he has let in some soft goals.

Nonetheless, if Pittsburgh is eliminated on Tuesday, Fleury should be sent packing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If anyone wants to argue that MAF is even on the top 5 issues with this team especially in this series... they are simply closeminded on him. There are far greater issues at hand here.

Really? He has given up at least 1 weak goal and a questionable 1 in each of the last 2 losses. How is that not a top 5 issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad