Post-Game Talk: Pens/Devils - Solidifying that top 10 pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, this team has a grand total of zero legit scoring line wingers now. Sid and Geno sure as hell aren't good enough to carry the offense by themselves anymore, and there's no help coming in the form of NHL ready prospects or the FA market. /shrug

They'd need to get Jake back, and land Reinhart, imo. On top of firing the coaching staff and removing/replacing a handful of guys still on contract next year, not the least of which is Jarry.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Todd Reirden extended
Mike Sullivan extended
Jeff Carter extended
Jansen Harkins extended (and made Assistant captain)
I hope they do get extended, it would at least teach many here a lesson.

Absolutely astonishing that no one here other than a handful can admit the age of this team (core) isn't a decided factor as to their demise.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Who gives a s*** what Washington does? Not all teams are designed in the same fashion. If that's the best argument you have it's a pretty flimsy one. Because one team that is older is still having some success, and very marginally I might add. The Penguins core has aged out. Look at their stats compared to five years ago, go on do it. You're just agenda driven. Either that or trolling at this point.
The irony.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I mean, this team has a grand total of zero legit scoring line wingers now. Sid and Geno sure as hell aren't good enough to carry the offense by themselves anymore, and there's no help coming in the form of NHL ready prospects or the FA market. /shrug

They'd need to get Jake back, and land Reinhart, imo. On top of firing the coaching staff and removing/replacing a handful of guys still on contract next year, not the least of which is Jarry.
Even if they do all that they're not a real contender. Watching Carolina has been an eye opener for how far away this team is. No amount of retooling is going to help at this point. We're just delaying the inevitable rebuild.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
I swear I've never seen a team hold on to the puck so long and cycle for minutes at a time just to then have a muffin from the point be all the offense they create.

It'd be like an NBA team's entire offense be passing the ball around the perimeter for 23 seconds of the 24 second shot clock, only to set up a Hail Mary from halfcourt as the end result of all that ball movement every single time.
You forgot option two... the entire team rushes the basket leaving the other team a 2-3 odd man rush.... the highlights of our 2 forcheckers pushing to wall. Can't contest at all... 2 on 1 the other way.

Honestly, i'm just mad I'm not Sullivan.

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Even if they do all that they're not a real contender. Watching Carolina has been an eye opener for how far away this team is. No amount of retooling is going to help at this point. We're just delaying the inevitable rebuild.
We're not delaying anything, we're gonna plummet in the standings no matter what because this core will lead us to the bottom. And it won't be better next year with them getting older. Well, unless they are open to trades but who at this point would really want them?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
NO way Carter is back as Dubas was saying GM speak. Wanted to keep Carter from being 100 percent indifferent. Now Dubas isn't stupid here and was dealt a limited roster with Rust, Rakell and age in Geno. But no question Acciari hasn't been the edge player he signed. Dubas will change what he can and continue the restocking of prospects. I have to think Rust will not wave his NMC and will be gone after next year. Karlsson will be gone as his contract and RD PP will be attractive to a contender. Sid has to either believe things will turn around or he is gone. Geno is here contractually next year but Pens will move him after next year with a salary of 3 million. Sullivan has to go and FSG can't be blind to his lack of success.
Why on earth would we need to tiptoe around Carter's feelings and GM speak it if we didn't believe it? The team already looks totally beat, mentally, and the only reason to keep Carter is because Sid and Sully like him. Not signing him or not talking about him publicly couldn't do any more damage than signing him.

The only reason Dubas would say he wants to sign Carter is if he actually wants to sign Carter (or thinks that signing Carter is a net benefit).

Reactions: Andy99

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Last week Dubas told the press he is open on bring back Carter.
If Dubas is in to watching reruns he needs to learn to spell!
1710940283483.png

• Haha
Reactions: td_ice

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
NO way Carter is back as Dubas was saying GM speak. Wanted to keep Carter from being 100 percent indifferent. Now Dubas isn't stupid here and was dealt a limited roster with Rust, Rakell and age in Geno. But no question Acciari hasn't been the edge player he signed. Dubas will change what he can and continue the restocking of prospects. I have to think Rust will not wave his NMC and will be gone after next year. Karlsson will be gone as his contract and RD PP will be attractive to a contender. Sid has to either believe things will turn around or he is gone. Geno is here contractually next year but Pens will move him after next year with a salary of 3 million. Sullivan has to go and FSG can't be blind to his lack of success.
All i have to say is, look what Washington did. Yes father time has caught up to Ovi a bit, and the rest of the team carried Ovi to know where he can take the load back on his shoulder as he is waking up.

It is clear Crosby cannot carry the pens whatsoever without a top line winger, yet we can Malkin to carry a team or line with AHL wingers for most the year. I honestly think, everyone needs to go not named Crosby and Malkin and maybe Karlson. Yes Letang can go. Two out of the 3 cups the pens won, was without Letang Impact. So we not need him

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Sullivan must be fuming. Losing games is normal but losing them in terms of xG is unforgivable!

Also, five more seasons of Ryan Graves at 4.5 million a year. On the hand, we should be tanking for most of that period and his ineptitude helps a lot for that. On the other hand, he is so bad he makes you want to call the cops to arrest him for fraud.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If Ned stayed at ~.910 then it'd show that it was a TJ problem. What these numbers show is that it's a team problem.
On the one hand, it is…on the other hand, it’s a trend for Jarry and he’s being paid to be consistent and the better goalie, and Ned isn’t …Ned’s decline in part also could be attributed to playing so few games post All Star game, as Jarry has taken the bulk of the work…

Reactions: Gurglesons

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
The fact people hate the Penguins' struggles so much they are holding up the F'ing Capitals, who have a worse goal differential than teams like Arizona, Ottawa, and even the same HORRIBLE PENGUINS as a paragon of how to rebuild is f'ing weird. That team is a total fluke that literally has scored the fewest goals in the Eastern Conference and is 29th overall - bash the Penguins all you want. It's certainly justified. But pointing to that crap is like arguing the 2020 Canadiens were an example of how you should run your organization.

Setting that aside, how anyone could have watched that game last night and thought to themselves that running it back next season with this coaching staff is a good idea is insanity. What a poorly coached team.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The fact people hate the Penguins' struggles so much they are holding up the F'ing Capitals, who have a worse goal differential than teams like Arizona, Ottawa, and even the same HORRIBLE PENGUINS as a paragon of how to rebuild is f'ing weird.
I don't see anyone saying that. People are saying that despite the Capitals' half-assed "rebuild" and shitty roster they still do better than the Pens and this is further proof that our coaches are useless. Nothing more.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
I don't see anyone saying that. People are saying that despite the Capitals' half-assed "rebuild" and shitty roster they still do better than the Pens and this is further proof that our coaches are useless. Nothing more.
AGREEEEEEEDDDD.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
On the one hand, it is…on the other hand, it’s a trend for Jarry and he’s being paid to be consistent and the better goalie, and Ned isn’t …Ned’s decline in part also could be attributed to playing so few games post All Star game, as Jarry has taken the bulk of the work…
If you can show that the team and other goalies don't also drop then I'll accept that it's a TJ problem. The truth is that the team goes to shit late in the season and has been for the past number of years cause Sully's system sucks and our core is too old to play it.

Looking at MoneyPuck (I know that's a scary word for many who don't like to look harder at things than just a goalie's S%) the Pens are 26th in expected goals against and are 19th in actual goals against. That shows a team that gives up a bunch of chances but the goalies have bailed them out for most of the year.

If you can honestly say that the team in front of them hasn't looked like dogshit for the past month or so then I don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: Victor Z

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The fact people hate the Penguins' struggles so much they are holding up the F'ing Capitals, who have a worse goal differential than teams like Arizona, Ottawa, and even the same HORRIBLE PENGUINS as a paragon of how to rebuild is f'ing weird. That team is a total fluke that literally has scored the fewest goals in the Eastern Conference and is 29th overall - bash the Penguins all you want. It's certainly justified. But pointing to that crap is like arguing the 2020 Canadiens were an example of how you should run your organization.

Setting that aside, how anyone could have watched that game last night and thought to themselves that running it back next season with this coaching staff is a good idea is insanity. What a poorly coached team.
The reference to the Caps that I've seen (and I've made) has zero to do with how "great" they are. In fact, it's the opposite. It's an indictment of Sullivan that a shitty roster like the Caps is somehow ahead of us in the standings despite having an inferior (on paper) roster.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Forget the Caps, take a look at the Predators roster and tell me with a straight face that it's significantly better than ours. And yet they have 15 more points than us. They had the same GM since forever and a coach that was the definition of mediocrity but unlike some other team I could name, they changed not just the GM but the coach too. Yes, it helps having Saros in net and not Mr. I Give Up After the All Star Break but it's not like we were in the playoffs back when Jarry was playing great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad