Post-Game Talk: Pens/Caps - That was hockey.... allegedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't know how Kap will work with Crosby or Malkin, and with Sullivan we may never find out, but that was a very fine first game.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Pens have all kinds of problems right now. The biggest is still goaltending. Sorry @ColePens, you know I love you and we're usually of one mind but I gotta with @Empoleon8771 on this one. The team is hugely at fault for their shitty play but nothing is sinking them more than goalies that can't make a save right now. The goaltending HAS to get better for them to at least have a chance.

It's just a bad mix right now of sloppy play and even worse goaltending.

That said the second half of the game was a bit more encouraging on both fronts. Still look far from good, but at least looked better than the dumpster fire that they were in the first.

I've got some bad news for you. Just like Emp, you are very wrong. ;)

But in all seriousness, you are wrong. And I legit laugh because Hasek in his prime wouldn't have to deal with the shit our goalies deal with because of our defense. Point blank chances. DeSmith had to stop a 3 on 0 today. 3 on 0.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
@Tom Hanks

Bro, SO/OT GDT winners!

WetMindlessJabiru.webp

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Team all over the place. That’s really really really weird to see statistically but certainly matches the eye test

upload_2021-1-19_18-51-54.png

Reactions: TySmith4Norris

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
One thing really encouraging: Kapanen looks really good and looks like a natural fit with Crosby.

Zucker-Crosby-Kapanen will f*ck shit up if they get put together.

Absolutely.

Zucker-Sid-Kap
Guentzel-Geno-Rust

I'm not a Fan of McCann playing more than Blueger. Hell even Sceviour tbh. They gotta find a way to get Blueger some more ice time. It it means moving Janko to Wing and Blueger to 3C, so be it.

McCann does nothing out there. Erod is more useful.

Reactions: Krispy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Regardless of the quality of the play, when you're down 4-2 in the second and have to kill about a minute on a 5on 3, and played the entire 3rd down two defensemen. that's pretty damn impressive!

Exactly. Terrible half commitment to playing the full game, but being able to pull this rabbit out of a hat with Crosby and Malkin largely being quiet was huge.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@KIRK Malkin looked alive in the third but him and Zucker are oil and water.

Of course, anyone who isn't blind can see it. As I said, you saw more chemistry with Malkin and Tanev in a period and a half than you've ever seen with Malkin and Zucker. And, as I said (and as you know), Malkin either has pretty instant chemistry with a player or he doesn't. The instant chemistry doesn't guarantee a successful partnership, but it is a prerequisite for it.

That said, you and I both know WHY Zucker is attached to Malkin's hip. You can't stick him on L3, because that doesn't 'validate' his cap hit, etc. And, we both know you can't stick him on L1 because Jake is there forever, no matter how bad L1 looks 5 on 5.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
goalie, effort, support and fix top 6....enough of Zucker Malkin...1 shot for 9 against Corsi in 20s move zucker with Jake and sid....and go from there, don't waste time, that 4th line was awesome all three guys, Janko I don't think he touched the puck all night,
worried about petts, he was really good, I think as the game went 58 and 8 got better...
However, this was against shabby Caps defense...

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Of course, anyone who isn't blind can see it. As I said, you saw more chemistry with Malkin and Tanev in a period and a half than you've ever seen with Malkin and Zucker. And, as I said (and as you know), Malkin either has pretty instant chemistry with a player or he doesn't. The instant chemistry doesn't guarantee a successful partnership, but it is a prerequisite for it.

That said, you and I both know WHY Zucker is attached to Malkin's hip. You can't stick him on L3, because that doesn't 'validate' his cap hit, etc. And, we both know you can't stick him on L1 because Jake is there forever, no matter how bad L1 looks 5 on 5.

Zucker - Crosby - Guentzel
Tanev - Malkin - Kapanen

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
I am glad they saved their best shift for last.

Also I got a fair amount of other stuff done with it on as Noise, I can...work with that going forward? Not excited, but I can work with that.

I still would still not hate to see Sully go. Goodbye, thanks, sincerely, for all the silver, but you just seem lost.

Another thing I'll add - admittedly, I wasn't watching closely after that clownshow first, but I didn't notice Letang much tonight. In this case, especially in a game like this where so much was not working, I was glad he wasn't trying to do Too Much, as is his won't.

Still a not very encouraging game, but some improvement the deeper in they got.

Tick tock, Sully.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
goalie, effort, support and fix top 6....enough of Zucker Malkin...1 shot for 9 against Corsi in 20s move zucker with Jake and sid....and go from there, don't waste time, that 4th line was awesome all three guys, Janko I don't think he touched the puck all night,
worried about petts, he was really good, I think as the game went 58 and 8 got better...
However, this was against shabby Caps defense...

You know what, I actually don't mind that.

IF you're going to experiment . . . Jake-Sid-Zucker and Tanev-Geno-Kappy.

BUT, there's no way in hell Sully will even deign to do that. Geno is stuck with Zucker and Zucker is stuck with Geno, because it's not about doing what's best for the team where that partnership is concerned.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Malkin and Zucker have shown zero chemistry, but you believe otherwise because well, it's been bad. Of course, let's ignore that Tanev showed more chemistry with Malkin in a period and a half than you've seen with Malkin and Zucker in eight games, because there's a narrative of some sort to support. Is that more 'thoughtful' for you?

But, I'll tell you what: Name 1 player with whom Malkin has ever 'developed' chemistry, where there was no sign within a game or two at most that there actually was some chemistry. If you can do that, then I can give your perspective a little credence. Until then, spare me the faux outrage, okay?

Sid and Guentzel have looked crap all season so far? Do they not have any chemistry?

The whole team looked better in the 3rd. If anything that makes my point. Regardless, saying NO BLEH isn't a response. Maybe spare the stupidity and just say "I disagree, I've never seen them show chemistry" instead of spouting crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad