GDT: Pens @ Caps - 3/10/14 7 PM

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The PP plan was to work the right side tonight. I wish we had Kuz in Backstroms spot on PP2 and get a better shooter there, in light of the repeated cresting.

At least Kuz got some PP time, he and laich worked the walk out front play. All right side shots it seemed.

OK i thought getting Kuz out for the 6th man was a no brainer, no surprise there. Instead it was a grinder, I am sure. Ward, Chimera, Troy whoever.

The Pens looked like they were playing 4 on 4 in our offensive zone. Our defensemen are just running around and look lost, and as always, soft as butter.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Tonight they toyed with us, tomorrow they dominate us.

However, at least 8 is waking up from his slumbers and looking like he cares. A bunch of goals is just around the corner. Feel it in my bones.

Burakovsky95*

Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein 5m
#Caps are now 0-6-0 against the #Pens under Oates...they were 11-0-2 in their last 13 regular season games against the Pens under Boudreau

:shakehead:cry::cry::cry::cry:

BUT don't worry because

Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein 10m
That was the angriest I've seen the #Caps locker room after a game this season

Win the ****ing game and you won't have to be angry.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein 5m
#Caps are now 0-6-0 against the #Pens under Oates...they were 11-0-2 in their last 13 regular season games against the Pens under Boudreau

:shakehead:cry::cry::cry::cry:

BUT don't worry because

Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein 10m
That was the angriest I've seen the #Caps locker room after a game this season

Win the ****ing game and you won't have to be angry.

Like I said, we may have just seen their best possible effort. They probably wanted to win this game more than nearly any other game in the Oates era. Frightening.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
So glad they get angry AFTER the game.

They sure talk a lot about hating to lose but sure as hell don't play like they hate losing

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
The PP plan was to work the right side tonight. I wish we had Kuz in Backstroms spot on PP2 and get a better shooter there, in light of the repeated cresting.

At least Kuz got some PP time, he and laich worked the walk out front play. All right side shots it seemed.

OK i thought getting Kuz out for the 6th man was a no brainer, no surprise there. Instead it was a grinder, I am sure. Ward, Chimera, Troy whoever.

The Pens looked like they were playing 4 on 4 in our offensive zone. Our defensemen are just running around and look lost, and as always, soft as butter.

All 3 were on that unit, and not one parked their fat ass in front of the net. :help:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's not the effort that's lacking. It's effective coaching and overall talent that is.

It absolutely has been the effort for much of the season, along with the coaching. The last several games have been marked by horrible inconsistency and only about 10 good minutes of play. Tonight was probably as close as they've gotten to full speed for almost a full game in.... well since Oates has been coach. I can probably count those games on one hand.

He doesnt' motivate. He said so. He doesn't believe in it. And it shows.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Ovie looked especially ornery tonight. The Caps only played for 15 minutes, but it was a darn good 15 minutes.

I'm not impressed with that Pens team at all, particularly their defensemen along the boards.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
All 3 were on that unit, and not one parked their fat ass in front of the net. :help:

It wasnt as bad as the Rangers game 7 "power play" lets call it, but we could not even get pucks towards the net, let alone at the net. Credit to the Pens I guess, but I also think when we go 5 on 3 or 6 on 4, its clearly not practiced enough, and PPs become disorganized and ineffective.

Burakovsky95*

Ovie looked especially ornery tonight. The Caps only played for 15 minutes, but it was a darn good 15 minutes.

I'm not impressed with that Pens team at all, particularly their defensemen along the boards.

Considering they're missing Martin and Letang, I think that's probably going to happen.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
It absolutely has been the effort for much of the season, along with the coaching. The last several games have been marked by horrible inconsistency and only about 10 good minutes of play. Tonight was probably as close as they've gotten to full speed for almost a full game in.... well since Oates has been coach. I can probably count those games on one hand.

He doesnt' motivate. He said so. He doesn't believe in it. And it shows.

Oates doesn't believe in a lot of things, such as:

1) Putting players in position to succeed
2) Effective line combinations
3) Playing the organization's best defensemen
4) Playing wingers on their off-wing
5) Winning games
6) Controlling the puck

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
It wasnt as bad as the Rangers game 7 "power play" lets call it, but we could not even get pucks towards the net, let alone at the net. Credit to the Pens I guess, but I also think when we go 5 on 3 or 6 on 4, its clearly not practiced enough, and PPs become disorganized and ineffective.

Even for that short period where we were set up in their zone, there wasn't anybody within 5 yards of their goalie. If it wasn't on NHLN, I'd go back and screenshot it on Gamecenter, as its just that funny.

THREE grinders, effectively half of our team on the ice, and ZERO in front of the net. Just ridiculous. Every other team with a 6-on-5 (nevermind we actually had a two man adv) parks 1 or two in front of the net and gets slop goals, while we are content to play along the perimeter, thinking a perfect passing play will come across soon.

Burakovsky95*

Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein 3m
#Caps Oates on Green lately "I thought Greenie's played pretty good lately

I don't even know.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009

I don't even know.

apAee7G.gif

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Even for that short period where we were set up in their zone, there wasn't anybody within 5 yards of their goalie. If it wasn't on NHLN, I'd go back and screenshot it on Gamecenter, as its just that funny.

THREE grinders, effectively half of our team on the ice, and ZERO in front of the net. Just ridiculous. Every other team with a 6-on-5 (nevermind we actually had a two man adv) parks 1 or two in front of the net and gets slop goals, while we are content to play along the perimeter, thinking a perfect passing play will come across soon.
Screening the goalie is so undignified. Completely unprofessional.

Why would you suggest such a thing?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Oates doesn't believe in a lot of things, such as:

1) Putting players in position to succeed
2) Effective line combinations
3) Playing the organization's best defensemen
4) Playing wingers on their off-wing
5) Winning games
6) Controlling the puck

7) Keeping shots against down
8) Clearing the crease
9) Empty net goals
10) Putting players with the best hands in the slot on the PP
11) Letting goaltenders play their style
12) Benching or demoting struggling veterans not named Erat
13) Rewarding players with line promotions
14) Beating the Penguins
15) "Amateur psychology"

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Nice season boys...see you again at the draft. Too much ground to make up this year. **** you Oates and your stupid experiments. **** you McPhee you blind idiot. It's called defense and structure....remember that on your way out the door you (Mod Edit).

We like our team. Too bad the people paying for it do not.

Philly put them on the mat and Pittsburgh will go for the KO tomorrow night on national TV of course. Calling it 5-1 right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
This game, to me, was evident of just not having a system. Everyone was up and rolling but they had no way to break into the O Zone. It was dump it in and force a fight, once you did that pass it to the center or point for a one timer. There's nothing else to it.

They did what they did tonight on there own talent/skill, in my opinion. Get an actual system in here and I think they start showing off.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I don't even know.

The Adam Oates Power of Positive Thinking Tour has gone from drama :cry: to comedy :laugh:. He can't possibly believe the things he says. It has to be a put-on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad