GDT: Pens @ Caps - 3/10/14 7 PM

aquablue

May 4, 2010
I don't see this team ever competing with the pens until we get some hard-nose big-ass donkey of a center like they do. We need a horse up the middle, someone who can just power his way through 3 players and keep the puck on a string in the mean time. Mr. Kuznetsov seems to be a floater like OV. Ever since OV got married he ain't hitting no more. We are loading up on soft floaters it seems. We need the opposite approach, power and straight-line hockey. The fancy dan way of playing won't cut it unless we add the necessary elements in the middle. Backstrom is too cerebral, we need a horse boys for 2C. Clear our the rubbish grinders and small pretenders like grabs, brouwer and fehr, and get a powerfoward center and a defenseman who would give his right arm for a cup. The Pens have our number fellas, and it's time to put pressure on Mr. Leonsis. He surely is aware that there is no way a bunch of soft fowards are winning against two stalions like Cros and Malkin. They'll cut through our d like a knife through butter.

Last edited:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I feel as though the Capitals got blown out and out shot badly.

Except they didn't. They played a damn good game, Crosby's goal was deflected by Alzner.

Kuznetsov played a damn good game for his first game.

Just be happy. You guys all seem so hell bent on this idea of the Capitals losing and wanting them to tank, but you guys have a hissy fit about a 3-2 loss where the Capitals kept a team to 20 shots in the whole game. Yeah its the Penguins, that sucks.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I don't see this team ever competing with the pens until we get some hard-nose big-ass donkey of a center like they do. We need a horse up the middle, someone who can just power his way through 3 players and keep the puck on a string in the mean time. Mr. Kuznetsov seems to be a floater like OV. Ever since OV got married he ain't hitting no more. We are loading up on soft floaters it seems. We need the opposite approach, power and straight-line hockey. The fancy dan way of playing won't cut it unless we add the necessary elements in the middle. Backstrom is too cerebral, we need a horse boys for 2C. Clear our the rubbish grinders and small pretenders like grabs, brouwer and fehr, and get a powerfoward center and a defenseman who would give his right arm for a cup. The Pens have our number fellas, and it's time to put pressure on Mr. Leonsis. He surely is aware that there is no way a bunch of soft fowards are winning against two stalions like Cros and Malkin. They'll cut through our d like a knife through butter.

We've brought in nothing but Grinders. Maybe they don't hit, but this team is SEVERELY lacking in skill. This assumption they've got a bunch of finesse floaters is ridiculous.

While we need another top line player (to at least replace Brouwer), what this team needs more is a system to get through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone that isn't "dump and pray someone fast can get their first!"

Capathetic

May 26, 2011

Except they didn't. They played a damn good game, Crosby's goal was deflected by Alzner.

Just be happy. You guys all seem so hell bent on this idea of the Capitals losing and wanting them to tank, but you guys have a hissy fit about a 3-2 loss where the Capitals kept a team to 20 shots in the whole game. Yeah its the Penguins, that sucks.

I think it's the these are basically playoff games from here on out feeling.

Let's see what they're made of tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
I'm not a big anti-Green guy, but if they aren't going to use him on the PP, and this is what he's going to contribute every night, then they should have gotten rid of him as soon as they decided to give Carlson his PP job.

I think 52 is the superior PPQB, but that is also by far his greatest skill as an NHL defenseman. If you aren't going to utilize that part of his skillset then he's overpaid and needs to go.

This. Hes worthless if hes not on the pp.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein 3m
#Caps Oates on Green lately "I thought Greenie's played pretty good lately

I don't even know.

I don't think I ever disliked a coach as much as Oates, not even Wilson, Cassidy, or Hanlon. Both Murrays and Schoenfeld I liked, but good grief with the Oates crew. Sadly, I liked the hiring at the start and now I'm getting what I asked for :(. I don't want another former Cap as a coach or in charge of decisions. I loved Calle as a player, but he is no coach.

Playoffs or not, I want a complete change. I'm not for clearing house on the players, but a retool with a new GM and coaching staff. If this were the 80s, Gretzky would call this the Mickey Mouse club.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein 3m
#Caps Oates on Green lately "I thought Greenie's played pretty good lately

I don't even know.

fizzywizzy+rolls+321+_2a96f8d3011d7b3f57e95c538443dca9.gif

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Personally it's that they couldn't beat a Pens team missing their 2 top D's and starting a backup goalie. Especially when you are fighting for a playoff spot and desperately need to pick up every possible point you can get.

BlueSinceBirth

Jul 4, 2006
Halak looks so shaky, wonder if he's trying too hard because he's a brilliant goaltender as proved in St Louis

His stats are VERY misleading. He started off the year great but after that I would have been more confident in Elliott or even Jake Allen going into the playoffs. Having said that I still think he is an decent starter on the right team.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Personally it's that they couldn't beat a Pens team missing their 2 top D's and starting a backup goalie. Especially when you are fighting for a playoff spot and desperately need to pick up every possible point you can get.

This. We were at home with a buzz in the building because of Kuzy, great time to get some points and build momentum into the second game. But we didn't. Now were facing an even tougher game against that same team and were even farther behind (2 games in hand) that precious playoff spot to play Pitt. Hard to get excited about that.

Vladiator16*

OV isn't hitting? Kuznetsov floater? Grabovsky didn't even play recently. We haven't seen "fancy dan ways" in a while now, there is no ES possession game (although last night it was a bit better) all we have is dump and chase + PP. What games are you watching?
Also, when you find "a horse that just powers his way through 3 players and keeps the puck on a string" consistently let me know, i'd like to see him.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
That was such a winnable game last night: Pens tired after a 5 game West Coast trip; their back-up goalie; no Martin and Letang. Malkin was worthless out there except when he was a flat-out detriment to his team.

And yet . . . nothing. This team has no will to win - they don't know what that is, and Oates and Calle can't instill it. Even against a Penguins team looking very ordinary and worn-out, we still aren't first to loose pucks and can't win board battles (w/excpetion of Chim-Fehr-Ward). Sid pinning the puck in our end for 45 seconds against 2-3 Caps with the game on the line is the essence of this team. Just no hunger - no ability to summon the intensity and commitment necessary to win.

And Mike Green is no now longer a guy with offensive skills that semi-offset his horrible defensive abilities. His D keeps getting worse, but he's an offensive black hole as well - in the 1st period he has the puck in his own end with room in front of him and fowards skating to get open and he lobs a sand wedge to the other blue line, immediately turning puck possession into puck loss. Or he comes down the right side in the offensive zone with some room and half-heartedly throws a muffin into Zatkoff's stomach. The only thing he's getting better at is being unable to protect himself.

This group is past its expiration date. Even for a Pens-Caps game, there wasn't much energy in that building last night (except from Pens fans, who were numerous) - there was a lot of grumpiness and little belief that in this team's ability to come back, even with the Pens not playing very well. This thing could south very quickly for Ted, because it's very hard to sell hope with this team (and putting the burden on Kuznetsov to revive flagging fan hopes is despicable - even the players recognize that and tried to take the pressure off him).

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Well some days you Halak your opponent and other days you take a Halaking from them. Last night we took a Halaking.

As far as Oates comments concerning Green, I don't think any of us here agree with them and I doubt that Oates really believes them. But what's the alternative to go all Tortorella on the guy, how's that working in Vancouver.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Well some days you Halak your opponent and other days you take a Halaking from them. Last night we took a Halaking.

As far as Oates comments concerning Green, I don't think any of us here agree with them and I doubt that Oates really believes them. But what's the alternative to go all Tortorella on the guy, how's that working in Vancouver.

How about something like: "Mike hasn't been playing as assertive as we'd like him to recently, but we know he's better than that and will work hard to step it up"

Acknowledge the poor play and show faith in the player. Not everything has to be one of calling the player out or blindly pumping him up.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Have you seen Holtby play this year?

You could have Dominic Hasek or Ken Dryden in their prime between the posts for us and it wouldn't change all that much. It's not the goalies, it's the defense and defense is both defensemen and forwards forechecking and backchecking and playing a responsible two way game.

Defense wins championships, may be boring to watch but it's effective.

The short time that Dale Hunter and Jim Johnson were behind the Caps bench the team was successful and got as far in the playoffs as BB. Their approach was defense first, block shots. Don't see the Caps block many shots these days. No accident that Holtby had his greatest success when Hunter/Johnson were behind the bench.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
You guys all seem so hell bent on this idea of the Capitals losing and wanting them to tank, but you guys have a hissy fit about a 3-2 loss where the Capitals kept a team to 20 shots in the whole game. Yeah its the Penguins, that sucks.
They were kept to the outside for the entire third period. They had the puck more but it was a wasted advantage because they had little idea what to do with it.

It's past time for them or fans to be content with moral victories or simply competing better. They have so little margin for error the rest of the way that every game ought to be like their backs are against the wall. We know that won't happen because, frankly, they don't have that in them.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
How about something like: "Mike hasn't been playing as assertive as we'd like him to recently, but we know he's better than that and will work hard to step it up"

Acknowledge the poor play and show faith in the player. Not everything has to be one of calling the player out or blindly pumping him up.

As I said, I don't agree with Oates comments and something along the lines of what your saying is fine, "We know what Mike is capable of, and we expect him to play to that capability every night". Folks here want their red meat they want Oates to go Tortorella on the guy, "He sucked tonight as he sucks most nights".

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
To me Green has looked worse since the Philly game. His play before that wasn't overwhelming but there were signs of the old Green. I don't think Orlov is helping. Not in the sense that Orlov is bad. Green just never has known good defense and can't seem to make that "key" play in breaking up a two on one.

Can't Oates seriously consider breaking up Alzner and Carlson.

Alzner - Green
Orlov - Carlson
The Rest

Back to Philly - hurt Green mentally and physically or combination thereof?

Monty

Aug 31, 2004
I was surprised how many Pens fans there were in the crowd tonight, my section in the nosebleeds was outnumbered (though I was on the side where the Pens shot twice) and the upper two levels were split around 50/50.

This. It amazes me that I consistently hear comments by people - less on this site and more on other sites - that Ted is happy because they keep selling out the games. They are not selling out the vast majority of the games this season, except against teams like the Pens whose fans buy up all the extra seats (although it was apparent to me that even this game was not a sellout), and that is obvious whether you are at the game or watching on TV. I was a STH through last season, and last season I began to see regular wide gaps of no fans in the lower corners, and this year it has gotten significantly worse. I went to a few games this season and was shocked as the club level is generally half empty, the corners had a lot of fanless areas, and there are a lot of empty seats in the middle sections of the lower bowls. Now someone might respond that the many empty seats scattered in the middle sections of the lower bowls were probably sold but the STHs didn't come to the game and couldn't sell the seats. But that is a serious problem because I knew quite a lot of STH, particularly in the pricier seats, who counted on selling a fourth or a third of their games for face or better to afford the seats overall, and it is clear that quite a lot of STHs game after game are unable to sell their seats. I foresee plenty of STHs in that category not renewing this Spring because of that unfavorable development. In addition, the ticket brokers who bought numerous STs, particularly in the lower bowl and club level, clearly reduced their ticket allotment this season, and are going to reduce their ticket allotment even more next season. Notice how the promotions for available tickets on TV and on places like the Wash Post website have been significantly increased this season - that is not indicative of a team selling out every game.

If you watch only on TV, during the middle of the second period when the stands should be as full as they are going to get, as the play goes up and down the ice a couple of times, just look at the lower bowl that is at the top of the screen and you will see significant numbers of empty seats, and large gaps of empty seats in the corners. Remember when the Caps were not very good about eight years ago, and fans from the Pens, Wings, Rangers and Sabres use to practically take over the arena, and then that ended in 2008 when the Caps became good. Notice some deja vu this year. I was at the Wings game on Jan 1 and the cheers seemed louder for the Wings goals than for the Caps. That may work for games with the Wings, Pens and teams like that, but it doesn't work for most of the games. The Canucks and Maple Leafs are coming to town next week, and they do not have large local contingents. So next week look at the stands for a moment or two in the second period and get a gander at all the empty seats.

This assumption that the Caps are selling out all their games still is no longer true this season, and so the constant refrain that Ted will keep GM because they're still selling out all the games is simply not true anymore. It's obvious to the naked eye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad