Post-Game Talk: Pens can't beat McJesus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
If there was any doubt in Dubas' mind, that had to have had been erased the last 2 nights.
Waive Harkins, Phillips, Ruhwedel. Bench Carter. Keep Gruden up. Recall Poulin, Smith and anyone else resembling the corpse of a prospect and feed them all the minutes they can handle until the end of the season. See what you have. I'd probably include JP in this since there's not much down in WBS.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I thought you were being snarky, mate, so I looked it up and you are 100% right. Hyman seems like a good egg.
I mean it would be an easy joke...the whole Hyman name and what not.

If there was any doubt in Dubas' mind, that had to have had been erased the last 2 nights.
Waive Harkins, Phillips, Ruhwedel. Bench Carter. Keep Gruden up. Recall Poulin, Smith and anyone else resembling the corpse of a prospect and feed them all the minutes they can handle until the end of the season. See what you have. I'd probably include JP in this since there's not much down in WBS.
Yes, but you assume Dubas will go and tell Sullivan all of that. Sullivan has refused to sit Harkins unless he's injured, keeps playing a tired old Carter and Ruhwedel has been ass for a while but he's like defense Harkins.

The issue is always down to Sullivan and using these lads in any meaningful way.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
• Many fans will be calling for Sullivan’s head, and make no mistake, this season hasn’t been his finest hour. The Penguins hardly look like a well-coached team.

My sense has long been that he won’t be fired because Fenway Sports Group loves him and Crosby loves him.

But why would Sullivan want to stay with this team long-term? Oh, there are millions of reasons, of course. But let’s not act like he couldn’t land a lucrative job immediately upon being made available. It’s hard to feel good about the next couple of years unless Dubas is even smarter than we think.

Josh Yohe’s latest fellatio on Mike Sullivan.
I still laugh at their dear diary article on Hextall and poor poor Mike Sullivan. Those two (Rossi and Yohe) have such a hard on for Sullivan, I am sure their next article will vindicate him from any of this as usual.

Yohe literally claimed Chad Ruhwedel as being great this season. L M F A O

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Sullivan is the epitome of die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. Disco Dan was a fraud and ruined years of Sid/Genos primes and I have no animosity towards him compared to Sullivan.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I mean it would be an easy joke...the whole Hyman name and what not.

Yes, but you assume Dubas will go and tell Sullivan all of that. Sullivan has refused to sit Harkins unless he's injured, keeps playing a tired old Carter and Ruhwedel has been ass for a while but he's like defense Harkins.

The issue is always down to Sullivan and using these lads in any meaningful way.
Actually meant trade Carter. You'd think he'd like 1 more shot at the playoffs. And there's usually a sucker that would gobble up his "experience and leadership" especially at half off for a pittance of a 6th or 7th.
If you waive the aforementioned 3 and send them to WBS and send off Carter, Sully wouldn't have much choice but to utilize the call ups.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Actually meant trade Carter. You'd think he'd like 1 more shot at the playoffs. And there's usually a sucker that would gobble up his "experience and leadership" especially at half off for a pittance of a 6th or 7th.
If you waive the aforementioned 3 and send them to WBS and send off Carter, Sully wouldn't have much choice but to utilize the call ups.
Dubas should be on the phone calling Dallas. They are not a team built on utilizing speed outright. They are an absolute contender. And I feel like Carter would at least stand a chance at actually providing some depth roll addition to that roster if someone got hurt and he had to step in. Just make it a 7th round draft pick for him at 50%. I’m sure Nill would take it for a depth piece forward.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Dubas should be on the phone calling Dallas. They are not a team built on utilizing speed outright. They are an absolute contender. And I feel like Carter would at least stand a chance at actually providing some depth roll addition to that roster if someone got hurt and he had to step in. Just make it a 7th round draft pick for him at 50%. I’m sure Nill would take it for a depth piece forward.
No doubt in my mind Carter can easily be moved here at the deadline, we could get a 5th or 6th especially with 50% retention

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Who cares? If they want out, grant their request. If they're fine languishing around as the team begins the tear down, also cool. Regardless; do what needs to be done and start selling valuable pieces. Sid's playing at like a 90pt pace with an awful PP and this team's barely even an afterthought for the WC discussion. :laugh: It's been over for years, time to turn the page.

FWIW, I don't think Sid would ever ask for a trade because he's so habit driven it's psychotic. Geno may ask out because he apparently really wants to be the only Russian with 4 Cups, but he also adores Sid so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he stuck around. Not sure about Letang, don't much care tbh. :laugh:

Let me put a twist on my question and observation and give some perspective to the point I am trying to make.

AS an oiler fan, we have seen a lot of Hall of famers traded at the peak of their career and may face it again shortly (it is highly unlikely we will keep Leon and McJesus and there is a chance both leave when their current contracts are up)

There is something to be said about the 3 guys playing their entire career with the Pens. Geno and SId are Hall of Famers first ballot. Letang will get in but he may have to wait 3 years. While Bruins fans understand the Ray Bourque trade and were happy he got the cup. Some still refuse to admit he played for any one else. Unless any of the 3 request a trade, I do not see the pens trading them and allowing them to ride off into the sunset together and then you guys truly start the rebuild. IT is a tough pill to swallow but it something we rarely see in sports these days,

Us oiler fans went though 10 years of darkness before we lucked into McJesus. You guys know how it is to go from Mario to Sid the kid. All teams go through it. You guys got 3 cups before this happened. Oilers, it is looking more and more we will end up with nothing to show for having McJesus. Bad trades, worse drafting and having no idea how the cap works.

The one move that the Pens made that has blown up in their face to a point was the EK deal. Oilers were reportedly trying trade for him but Holland was not dynamic enough to pull it off. He has come back to earth getting his normal pts. Last year he was spoon feed all the prime minutes and that is what I was concerned about. SJ had him and really no one else

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The one move that the Pens made that has blown up in their face to a point was the EK deal. Oilers were reportedly trying trade for him but Holland was not dynamic enough to pull it off. He has come back to earth getting his normal pts. Last year he was spoon feed all the prime minutes and that is what I was concerned about. SJ had him and really no one else
Karlsson cost the Pens a 1st and Rutta who's really just a 3rd pairing defenseman. Most people here would have been happy to dump Petry, Granlund, and CDS for nothing. People were even talking about buying out Granlund or paying someone to take him. The Pens also received a 3rd in that deal and will probably be able to recoup more if/when they trade Karlsson in a couple of years. That's pretty good for a defenseman who's baseline is 60 points.

The thing that has blown up in their faces was giving Sullivan a 3 year extension 2 years before his existing deal was over when they hadn't won a playoff round in 4 years.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well they sure play like a team that eats nothing but Filet O Fishes and McFlurrys for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
McJesus? this team couldn’t even beat Ronald McDonald at this point. They do have a clown behind the bench, though.
CnPH8HY.png

Reactions: SomeDude

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
DK is giving a eulogy to Malkin today in his podcast…come on, bro…low hanging fruit…

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Let me put a twist on my question and observation and give some perspective to the point I am trying to make.

AS an oiler fan, we have seen a lot of Hall of famers traded at the peak of their career and may face it again shortly (it is highly unlikely we will keep Leon and McJesus and there is a chance both leave when their current contracts are up)

There is something to be said about the 3 guys playing their entire career with the Pens. Geno and SId are Hall of Famers first ballot. Letang will get in but he may have to wait 3 years. While Bruins fans understand the Ray Bourque trade and were happy he got the cup. Some still refuse to admit he played for any one else. Unless any of the 3 request a trade, I do not see the pens trading them and allowing them to ride off into the sunset together and then you guys truly start the rebuild. IT is a tough pill to swallow but it something we rarely see in sports these days,

Us oiler fans went though 10 years of darkness before we lucked into McJesus. You guys know how it is to go from Mario to Sid the kid. All teams go through it. You guys got 3 cups before this happened. Oilers, it is looking more and more we will end up with nothing to show for having McJesus. Bad trades, worse drafting and having no idea how the cap works.

The only way the EK deal has hurt the Pens is in cap flexibility. EK has not played bad, has he played up to expectations? That depends person to person. I personally knew he wouldn’t be the 100 pt player he was with SJ. I didn’t expect him on the power play to not work out… That has been a disappointing factor with EK. But overall he has been worth what we paid for in the trade which was really a 1st, Rutta, and Granlund. Which I liked Rutta, just didn’t like his contract for what he brought. And universally the entire Pens fan base wanted Granlund strapped to a rocket and shot directly into the sun. The EK trade isn’t what went wrong with the Pens this year he is just an easy target to lock onto. And even if you could make a compelling argument to point a finger at EK he isn’t THE problem.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
- Almost like you need NHL-caliber forwards in a league where offense is way up. Like you can't rely on a single scoring line to pull you through games.
- Especially when you stack your team with vanilla soft forwards/defenders who can't make hard plays and make it hard on the other team, ever.

- Almost like the coaching staff has been stale for 6 calendar years.

- JT Miller was likely available. Tarasenko was absolutely available. NHL forwards were there for the taking who could have made a legitimate offensive impact to a team in desperate need of offense-generating forwards.

... but we were assured Sullivan and Co were good to go. We were assured EK would lift the likes of Harkins into producing 10 goals. We were assured Smith wasn't Zucker 2.0 - a forward prototype that had been shown to not work here.

This teams' issues are not, and HAVE NOT been a mystery to anyone except a delusional front office and coaching staff. The fault lies ENTIRELY on them. Compounding the case is when Sid and Geno still outproduce their contracts. Damn if they're not shilling media to say otherwise - but 14M tied up in those two and you're this freaking awful is utterly pathetic and Sully/Dubas (are they any different from one another?) should take the blame and be ashamed. Scorch one or both on their way out.

You can't bat .100 and win in this league. Karlsson has been okay. But the rest of the moves, mediocre at best. It's ultimately up to Dubas and he's shaping up to be the biggest reason this team sails into oblivion. Right behind him is Sully. You're allowed to make mid-season trades. Isn't that part of the reason he bamboozled his way into becoming President of Hockey Ops AND GM? Just so he could make some deals in the offseason and sit on his hands? Need to evaluate.

A blind man could have evaluated this team plenty - if only this season - about 40 games ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad