Confirmed with Link: Pens bring back Nick Bonino for a 5th and a 7th round pick

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
All that's left to do is bring back Connor Sheary and Marcel Goc

Every time I think 'it's absolutely impossible for this team to get any older and softer', Hextall says 'hold my beer'. It really is something to behold

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If they somehow make the playoffs and matchup against Boston, take a look at how they improved their team.

It's all about screaming success for grabbing the 8th spot.
It's exactly this and I'm not sure how anyone explains this as anything but. It's basically to keep a streak alive to keep fans coming back vs actually trying to match up against the juggernauts in the East, which I don't know if we do. Pens can win 1 or 2 here and there but in a best of 7 against anyone in the top 5 in the east it's a no bueno. Assuming NYR is above Tampa anyway.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It's exactly this and I'm not sure how anyone explains this as anything but. It's basically to keep a streak alive to keep fans coming back vs actually trying to match up against the juggernauts in the East, which I don't know if we do. Pens can win 1 or 2 here and there but in a best of 7 against anyone in the top 5 in the east it's a no bueno. Assuming NYR is above Tampa anyway.
I hate hearing "when you have Crosby, Malkin & Letang, you are going to be in win now mode", and then say with the very next breath "this team has no shot against Boston or Carolina". OK

So maybe we aren't in "win now mode" and we keep crapping away assets for a team that should admit their situation.

Paging Anton Chigurh to the Penguins HQ.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Last time we had Bonino we won the Cup. Coincidences don’t exist. Someone call Chris Kunitz

But really, if he’s gonna be our Cullen, I’m not gonna complain.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Guys I don't like getting into these discussions any more and I try to be a positive fan, but wtf is going on? :laugh:

Go ahead everyone....

48kVzc4.gif

Bonino does help the PK....I think.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Remembering his skating from 7 years ago, I can't imagine what it will look like now. That being said, you need somebody to play 4C, so I guess fine?

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I don't mind Bonino. But what in the actual f*** is Hextall even thinking? Is there literally nobody under the age of 30 that can be had?

And speaking of Hextall, is Burke, FSG, or anyone at all monitoring what he's doing? Don't tell me about what JR did. Hextall has absolutely destroyed this team in 2 years. Aside from Rakell, every thing he's done has been a disaster

Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Can we please fire idiot Sullivan now?
Dec 11, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
All that's left to do is bring back Connor Sheary and Marcel Goc

Every time I think 'it's absolutely impossible for this team to get any older and softer', Hextall says 'hold my beer'. It really is something to behold

I’m thinking that POJ for Gologoski will be in idiot Sullivan’s plans for today.

Edit: Bonino of 5 years ago was passable, but not really sure what good he’ll do now aside from pushing Poehling out of a roster spot. In other words, success for idiot Sullivan I guess.

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Couple of things influenced this:

- Blu's play. Believe they made the right move in getting Blu out of here.
- Have to think Poehling's injury has him not coming back anytime soon

I think this team still suffers from Center PTSD and hasn't recovered since Bones left in FA. So they brought back a known commodity.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I’m thinking that POJ for Gologoski will be in idiot Sullivan’s plans for today.

Edit: Bonino of 5 years ago was passable, but not really sure what good he’ll do now aside from pushing Poehling out of a roster spot. In other words, success for idiot Sullivan I guess.

Poehling’s reoccurring injury has pushed him out of a roster spot.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Interesting and possible. But what I find more interesting is your username.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I am officially on the fire Hextall wagon. If a GM is rendered as powerless as Ron is under the new regime and Mario that he still only picks up retreads for the coach to fix his issues vs I don't know, maybe fighting back on the extension and giving him a final warning for this season, then we need someone with some balls and not afraid to speak out. Burke also needs to go.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Poehling’s reoccurring injury has pushed him out of a roster spot.
Poehling being hurt is fine, getting Bones to replace him isn't. The options we could have brought in vs what they did is just bizarre. So the 4th line got a lot slower because Sullivan needed his wooby.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
I would have been content with this and Blueger being the only trades made by Hextall this TDL. I would have just realized calling him 'sleepy" would have been the narrative. The problem is he gave up a second for Granlund while absolutely blowing the cap the team would have had pooled for next year and beyond.

I've said a bunch of times on this board and many other places that this was the year to make a splash at the TDL for a elite player with term, as the salary cap hit would have been easily handled next year. Don't worry, that's going to be going to Granlund now, who I have no doubt will be a less effective player than Bonino.

Granlund constitutes 6% of the team's cap hit for the next two years. Christ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad