Confirmed with Link: Pens bring back Nick Bonino for a 5th and a 7th round pick

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Hey all. I think the 5th is SJ's for retaining.

Bonino has played his best at wing the last two seasons, but is a big part of why the penalty kill has been great this year. Won't move the needle much, and I'm guessing most of you want a bigger move to be made (understandable), but he's an effective 4th liner being played above his slot the last two years. Streaky when scoring goals.
It should have said Bonino somehow fetches 5th and 7th round picks as he has played his last 2 season of his career.

• Love
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
With Kasperi Kapanen, one of this team's problems was that they weren't fast enough.

So this is nice.

What a take.
We lost a ton of speed due to misuse of the players and gained a solid top 6 winger that will be squandered on the third line with Black Hole Carter and got slower with Bones as the 4c but he gushes sticktoitiveness from all orifices which the coach adores.

Somehow we still have f***ing Heinen on this team and the defense upgrade is Kulikov.

Conclusion: First round exit as usual, then Hextall will be fired, Sully will stay on and continue to do damage until the 4th GM is in place in his tenure and he finally fires him and is also fired after.

This is our fate. I have spoken. Suck it wankers.

Cheap depth move. I don’t mind this. Hex said he was going to tinker with the bottom 6 and has.
I wish we got harder to play against but really we didn't. Sullivan will make sure of that with his usage but mostly harder to watch not play against. Beating struggling teams is one thing. The moment a strong team shows up in our stretch and humble this sack of wankers, no moves will be available.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The first best time to bring back Bonino was summer 2017. Next best time was TDL 2020. Third best time is now I guess.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
I don't hate it - or Bones. My side-eye is reserved for the fact Sully thinks it's still 2016-2017, and bringing one of that team back seems a bit like coddling that mindset.

The price ain't bad, especially given the nail biting about overspending on a rental. Bones *is* a rental, and one Hextall didn't overspend on. We'll see if he slots back in like it's nearly eight years (!!!!!) ago.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Mark Eaton or Scott Hartnell.
Mark Eaton was seen working out at a local Anytime fitness.

I don't hate it - or Bones. My side-eye is reserved for the fact Sully thinks it's still 2016-2017, and bringing one of that team back seems a bit like coddling that mindset.

The price ain't bad, especially given the nail biting about overspending on a rental. Bones *is* a rental, and one Hextall didn't overspend on. We'll see if he slots back in like it's nearly eight years (!!!!!) ago.
I mean mate it makes sense doesn't it?

Sullivan is still using the same coaching style, system, and philosophy as 2015-2017. The only issue is literally everyone has evolved and moved on with their strategies.

So why not being back Archie and now Bones. I bet they also tried to get the Matt Murray from Dallas since he would be cheaper just for more luck.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Sullivan is still using the same coaching style, system, and philosophy as 2015-2017. The only issue is literally everyone has evolved and moved on with their strategies.

So why not being back Archie and now Bones. I bet they also tried to get the Matt Murray from Dallas since he would be cheaper just for more luck.
That's why Sully's so frustrating; to me, at least. Until he gets an entirely new team in a different city, he's resting on those coaching laurels.

Changing his style is going to require force. If he lands with the right group of players, he may well find that old magic, but I don't see it happening here, anymore. The question is if anyone with power in the org comes around on that, too.

ETA: another thing about Sully that's so frustrating is how much was made of him always trying to learn and better himself early on. *No one* on the beat is asking where that is for him now.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That's why Sully's so frustrating; to me, at least. Until he gets an entirely new team in a different city, he's resting on those coaching laurels.

Changing his style is going to require force. If he lands with the right group of players, he may well find that old magic, but I don't see it happening here, anymore. The question is if anyone with power in the org comes around on that, too.
Thing is JR kind of warned him about the style or rather maybe believed Sullivan that his style was fine but his assistants weren't and so he's on his second set and the same problems persist with his style.

They can revamp this roster however many times they want with the best GM available after Hextall and the results will still be the same if the coach approaches it the same way. That to me has been the problem for a while. He just feels players aren't the right fit because they can't play the insane deployment he has for them in a system that is so brutally disjointed that we celebrate wins vs struggling teams as "turning a corner."

Sully is on what, year 7? If he's failed to show big improvements in his strategizing, coaching philosophy, etc, what is going to change in year 8? Or 9-10?

Nothing - we will just bleed picks and talents to keep finding him the right mix that doesn't exist in an outdated approach by a stubborn coach. He is every bit of Tortorella's student as we all feared.

BTW - good post, can't like posts because warning points.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Thing is JR kind of warned him about the style or rather maybe believed Sullivan that his style was fine but his assistants weren't and so he's on his second set and the same problems persist with his style.

They can revamp this roster however many times they want with the best GM available after Hextall and the results will still be the same if the coach approaches it the same way. That to me has been the problem for a while. He just feels players aren't the right fit because they can't play the insane deployment he has for them in a system that is so brutally disjointed that we celebrate wins vs struggling teams as "turning a corner."

Sully is on what, year 7? If he's failed to show big improvements in his strategizing, coaching philosophy, etc, what is going to change in year 8? Or 9-10?

Nothing - we will just bleed picks and talents to keep finding him the right mix that doesn't exist in an outdated approach by a stubborn coach. He is every bit of Tortorella's student as we all feared.
:laugh: I just edited that post to say almost exactly this.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
:laugh: I just edited that post to say almost exactly this.
Yeah just saw the edit. I agree. The problem is Burke saying what he said hurts this team far more than anything Hextall does to appease Sullivan.

To go out and publicly state how much he loves Sullivan and personally takes offense to anything negative said about him is some of the most ridiculous things I've heard from any pens exec. Even dumber than Shero vouching for Bylsma which cost him his job.

Like I am pretty sure Sullivan will begrudgingly try Granlund with Zucker and Malkin when he is desperately trying to find any spark and if it works he will keep it for a bit until it doesn't to throw Rust right back there. He just has no out of the box thinking in him whatsoever.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Yeah just saw the edit. I agree. The problem is Burke saying what he said hurts this team far more than anything Hextall does to appease Sullivan.

To go out and publicly state how much he loves Sullivan and personally takes offense to anything negative said about him is some of the most ridiculous things I've heard from any pens exec. Even dumber than Shero vouching for Bylsma which cost him his job.
Oh, ffs, I hadn't seen that. It's fine to be devoted to someone, but blind devotion in a professional sphere is messed up. Sully the person may be great, but he's a bad fit as a coach for this team, at this time.

It's GMJR with JMFJ all over again, but instead of one player at issue, it's the guys overseeing all of them. Super.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh, ffs, I hadn't seen that. It's fine to be devoted to someone, but blind devotion in a professional sphere is messed up. Sully the person may be great, but he's a bad fit as a coach for this team, at this time.

It's GMJR with JMFJ all over again, but instead of one player at issue, it's the guys overseeing all of them. Super.
This was in 2021, June.

Burke was especially defensive of head coach Mike Sullivan. He soundly rejected any idea that Penguins upper management was considering a coaching change. “We think he should be Coach of the Year. We think he did a phenomenal job,” Burke said.

This was his comments in 2022 - Brian Burke on Crosby's 500th goal, the job Mike Sullivan has done & concern for training too much at a young age

Here's a recent one for 2023

He also forcefully rejected the idea that Mike Sullivan might be culpable, even to a small degree, for the Pittsburgh Penguins’ up-and-down season to date.

“I think we have a really good coach, and that includes the assistant coaches,” Burke said. “I like our three coaches who are on the bench (Todd Reirden, Mike Vellucci and Ty Hennes). I like Andy Chiodo, on the goaltenders. I like our coaching staff immensely. I think they’re doing a great job.”

He then made it clear that management is as likely to consider a coaching change as the coaches are to install Casey DeSmith on the point of the No. 1 power play.

“The answer is ‘No,’ ” Burke said. “I’m just shy of offended by the question. I’m flabbergasted by the question. And I’m a little annoyed by the question. It’s not been discussed. It’s not an answer. It’s not a solution. And it’s absurd.”

The problem is less Hextall and more FSG and Mario including Burke.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
The other side of that coin is that Burke, when the winds change, will faithfully say the opposite when it is canning Sully time. Adding any zest needed if it is required to hang on to a job, should he still want it.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I didn't even realize just how poor of a season Carter is having until I looked up that Bonino has more goals than he does.
yeah, honestly, I would have far fewer problems with Granlund here if he wasn't going to be stapled to Carter which sucks. and also lol that we actually added money to the 3rd line.

Also, you gotta admit, Pittsburgh loves mediocre coaches in ALL sports. It's a local thing.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
This was in 2021, June.

This was his comments in 2022 - Brian Burke on Crosby's 500th goal, the job Mike Sullivan has done & concern for training too much at a young age

Here's a recent one for 2023

The problem is less Hextall and more FSG and Mario including Burke.
It's looked like that for awhile, even without the quotes. With them, though... massive yikes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad