Pre-Game Talk: Pens at Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
do the Flyers have any chance of making the playoffs?

43 points, and they've got 35 games left.

Figure they're going to need to hit a minimum of the mid 90's in points, say 95 should be safe.

That means 52 points in 35 games, something like 24-7-4.

A chance?

Yes, but they may be in a hole every bit as big if not bigger than the Pens in 2009, and you know what it took in terms of a finish to turn that around.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
43 points, and they've got 35 games left.

Figure they're going to need to hit a minimum of the mid 90's in points, say 95 should be safe.

That means 52 points in 35 games, something like 24-7-4.

A chance?

Yes, but they may be in a hole every bit as big if not bigger than the Pens in 2009, and you know what it took in terms of a finish to turn that around.

It's kind of crazy that the 1st wild card team in the east is currently on pace for 100pts. That would have been 2nd in the Metro last season. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2nd wild card will need something like 98pts.

In the end it really shouldn't be in the interest of the Flyers organisation to pull that off - just draft as high as you can.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
This sums up most feelings:

tumblr_n1e8sp0hE11rsrbdko4_r1_500.gif

Yup.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's kind of crazy that the 1st wild card team in the east is currently on pace for 100pts. That would have been 2nd in the Metro last season. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2nd wild card will need something like 98pts.

In the end it really shouldn't be in the interest of the Flyers organisation to pull that off - just draft as high as you can.

Unless they make some significant move here in the next 3-4 weeks, I concur with your assessment.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
The Pens desperately need some secondary scoring. A goal once in a while that doesn't require Sid/Geno shouldn't be an impossible task. Not (m)any goals from the D lately either.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
You're *** Damn Right they did!
Now dress him.

Last game on Sunday vs the Providence Bruins, i listened to on the radio, and he mentioned that Farnham was playing like a man possessed. Trying to will his team to victory.

Probably fill in for Arcobello or Sill.
ETA: It'll be for Arco for sure. MJ loves Sill.
Unless theres an injury.

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I see you're trying to have some sort of reverse mojo to work for you. I am on to your ruse.

Sadly, I'm not a superstitious man. I can't see the Flyers winning this game, or even keeping it close. I mean, Lauridsen's a bottom pairing defenseman in the AHL.

I take it that means Colaiacovo was not hurt prior to (yesterday). Never would have seen that coming. At least all is right in the universe again.

It's been shocking, but yes, this is Cola's first injury as a Flyer. It had to happen eventually, right?

I actually am rooting for the Pens to lose tomorrow.

As I have often said the regular season is meaningless for us. We are not missing the playoffs and are going to win a lot of the remaining games.

However the Flyers currently are 6th from the bottom of the overall standings. Good chance to get a top player or even move into that top two position, which is unacceptable.

Put a dent in that tank of theirs and give them a meaningless (to us, not to them and their tank job) win in January. Logically we should hope for a loss, it screws them which is what I always wish for, and is almost meaningless except for a quickly forgotten annoyance at another loss to a hated team.

I must admit that if by some struck of luck the Flyers win the McDavid sweepstakes, the resulting disgust from Pens fans will be extremely amusing.

do the Flyers have any chance of making the playoffs?

Nope. We're cooked. We just don't have the horses and our coach is a complete idiot.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yay for Farnham. Sill will also probably play and Adams' spot is pretty much guaranteed so Arco will likely sit. Sill-Sutter-Downie with Farnham-Goc-Adams is my guess for the bottom 6.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
The more Johnston talks about players - Sill, Farnham, Adams, Scuderi, Kunitz, Sutter, etc - and line combinations - Sutter-Malkin, Sutter-Goc, Kunitz-Crosby-Perron, Arcobello with Malkin - and the more I watch his player usage and TOI, the less I like him. Please stop doing stupid things with personnel decisions.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I must admit that if by some struck of luck the Flyers win the McDavid sweepstakes, the resulting disgust from Pens fans will be extremely amusing.

I have friends that are Flyers fans, and I'll never hear the end of it. I much prefer to be the only team with two superstars centers. McDavid to Buffalo please!!!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Of all the games to wish for a loss this year this is the one. Flyer fans want to lose, so by inverse logic our biggest desire should be to deny them that pleasure.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The more Johnston talks about players - Sill, Farnham, Adams, Scuderi, Kunitz, Sutter, etc - and line combinations - Sutter-Malkin, Sutter-Goc, Kunitz-Crosby-Perron, Arcobello with Malkin - and the more I watch his player usage and TOI, the less I like him. Please stop doing stupid things with personnel decisions.

To each his own I guess. Every coach will tinker with things. He ends up getting the big things right. Malkin back at center. Beau tried with Malkin. Perron with Crosby. Hornqvist isn't even healthy yet. Who else would you have with Perron other than Kunitz?

Arco with Malkin lasted like 1 period. He didn't know much about the player and wanted to see what he could do with Geno. How can you complain about that?

As far as how he talks about players, I think he is pretty honest when it comes to the positive attributes each player brings. He focuses on the positives because that's his nature. Nothing wrong with that. I don't like all his player usage, but he is miles better than Bylsma IMO.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah, there are legit things you can critizice Johnston for. Trying to see if Goc can wake up his offensive side on another line, or seeing if Arcobello is magically Comeau 2.0, and only for a period? Really? That's what you don't like?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Not that Arcabello has done much. But tell me again why Sill and Adams are unscratchable?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
There may come a day when Johnson runs his course here and we all hate him, but it is not this day.

There may come a day where we lose 7 in a row with horrible coaching decisions and posters look to jump off of the Clemente bridge, but it is not this day.

lotr-rotk-aragorn-black-gate.png

Seriously though, we are less than a season in. The guy is trying things out. Some things work, and some things don't. Some of you people are just absolutely ruined by Bylsma being the last coach.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Yeah, there are legit things you can critizice Johnston for. Trying to see if Goc can wake up his offensive side on another line, or seeing if Arcobello is magically Comeau 2.0, and only for a period? Really? That's what you don't like?

Did you even read what I wrote?

Johnston has made multiple questionable personnel, player usage and playing time decisions. It is not any one decision that makes me like him less (I still hope he can make it work). It is the continuing and repeated questionable decisions and his justifications for them that make me doubtful. And yes Sutter centering Goc was completely stupid as was Arcobello on a line that needs a shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad