Salary Cap: Pens Add Streit & Corrado; Subtract Fehr & 4th Rounders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
So pouliot was called up to play 15 minutes and sit around.

I swear this organization's biggest Achilles Heel is prospect development. I kind of understand that since they are in a win now mode. But if aren't going to patient with a kid like Pouliot and let him grow from playing time, they should have simply traded him during the offseason. They won't trade him until his value is completely destroyed.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Not caring makes you cool.

No one made anything up. The person had an opinion that differed from yours. You "do not care" so much, you took the time to absolutely tear into the person. Again, because you "do not care." This is a sports message board if I'm not mistaken. People are going to voice their opinions. Perhaps their opinions aren't going to be as spectacular as yours, but they're entitled to them just the same.

First, lets be clear, what i dont care about is your defender of opinions shtick.

Which is completely hypocritical considering your doing the exact same thing. If i think that guy is a giant *sshat by your standard i have every right to say it.

But lets forget all that. What he said was completely baseless. Yes, people are entitled to form an opinion, people are free to enjoy mustard, wear leather pants and countless other thing i could never understand without a single peep out of me. But if someone makes something up about something that should be relegated to facts and hides behind "its my opinion" they not only deserved called out, that calling out should be as embarrassing as humanly possible.

If some says the Holocaust or Dinosaurs or Water doesnt exist. And their entire defense of that opinion is..."well its my opinion, im entitled to it" its wrong. Even if their opinion is correct, its still wrong.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.†Harlan Ellison.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I swear this organization's biggest Achilles Heel is prospect development. I kind of understand that since they are in a win now mode. But if aren't going to patient with a kid like Pouliot and let him grow from playing time, they should have simply traded him during the offseason. They won't trade him until his value is completely destroyed.

You can't get blood from a stone. Also how are they not being patient with him? Being impatient would be thrusting him into the NHL lineup where he clearly doesn't belong. They've been letting him develop so I don't know what you want. Seems like you're just hellbent on blaming anyone but Pouliot.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No question Olli is the elephant in the room here. Contract is a major blunder by GMJR as to timing. No news there. Knowing Dumo needed to be signed and now Schultz, That means Pens have Letang, Dumo, Olli, Schultz at 30 million next year. Only Schultz offer PP and skating and health. Dumo is next in importance as to fit. Letang is simply to susceptible to injury to count on. Hainsey as a 6 guy and Cole is fine. Again unless Olli finds a way to upgrade his skating and speed, he is at best 5/6 making over 4 million.

No it was not. Hindsight is 20/20 but allow me to explain a few more things.

Maatta was signed well before Schultz emerge as a viable top 4 dman. When Olli was resigned it was Feb 26th. We traded for Schultz on Feb 27th. At that time, Schultz was a struggling (to put it nicely) dman who was having a horrendous season. His uptick in play or even his potential to reach the level he was at was completely unknown at the time of Maatta's extension. You can't put that on JR.

Next, it comes down to the expansion draft. If that damn draft wasn't here the Penguins would have one HELL of a roster in the short and long term. The current situation we are in is not Maatta's fault and it's not Schultz's fault nor is it JR's fault. We should be happy that a guy like Schultz is playing well enough to usurp a guy like Maatta. That's a good problem to have so to speak. Maybe not for the exp draft though.

I like what Rust, Wilson, Kuhnhackl, and Sheary have brough though. Our big name draft picks: Pouliot, Morrow, Harrington, Despres, Maatta (the last two only to a certain extent) haven't panned out...

Seems like our sweet spot is the 3rd and 4th round and given how many good players we've gotten from that, I say our "development" has been decent.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Gaunce & Sestito recalled, Pouliot re-assigned as per PG.

Sucks that Pouliot is getting sent back. I thought he played decently enough against Chicago. But I guess we're still kinda full, and it makes more sense for him to be in WBS playing, then being a scratch up here.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
No question Olli is the elephant in the room here. Contract is a major blunder by GMJR as to timing. No news there. Knowing Dumo needed to be signed and now Schultz, That means Pens have Letang, Dumo, Olli, Schultz at 30 million next year. Only Schultz offer PP and skating and health. Dumo is next in importance as to fit. Letang is simply to susceptible to injury to count on. Hainsey as a 6 guy and Cole is fine. Again unless Olli finds a way to upgrade his skating and speed, he is at best 5/6 making over 4 million.

Disagree. 1.5 years ago (Maatta signed in Feb 2016), half this board said I was nuts when I said that Maatta would sign for 6x4m. Everyone said he could get more than that if he waited a year or two before signing the LT contract (or that we'd have to pay him more to sign LT). Clearly that's not the case right now. But to be honest? I don't think he'd be that much cheaper. The bridge contracts this board was throwing out (if he hadn't signed LT) was in the 3m range. Which means while he'd be slightly cheaper, it wouldn't be by much. Besides, him signed with term, carries it's own value - especially when discussing him in trades.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
You can't get blood from a stone. Also how are they not being patient with him? Being impatient would be thrusting him into the NHL lineup where he clearly doesn't belong. They've been letting him develop so I don't know what you want. Seems like you're just hellbent on blaming anyone but Pouliot.

The Pens aren't fighting for a playoff spot right now so I would much rather see them ride Pouliot for the last month instead of playing a guy like Guance.

You can grow more as a prospect by competing with and against the best. For all we know the kid's biggest problem right now is confidence and the way the Pens are yanking him around wouldn't be helping that one bit.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
The Pens aren't fighting for a playoff spot right now so I would much rather see them ride Pouliot for the last month instead of playing a guy like Guance.

You can grow more as a prospect by competing with and against the best. For all we know the kid's biggest problem right now is confidence and the way the Pens are yanking him around wouldn't be helping that one bit.

Neither one of them is playing unless there's another injury. It's likely they just preferred to have Pouliot play in WBS rather than travel with the team and sit in the pressbox.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Sucks that Pouliot is getting sent back. I thought he played decently enough against Chicago. But I guess we're still kinda full, and it makes more sense for him to be in WBS playing, then being a scratch up here.

I thought Pouliot looked like garbage. Kinda wish we grabbed 1 more D for cheap at the TDL though.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Neither one of them is playing unless there's another injury. It's likely they just preferred to have Pouliot play in WBS rather than travel with the team and sit in the pressbox.

I shouldn't have mentioned Guance, my main point is that they should ride Pouliot the last month and see what happens.

I believe you would have a much better idea what you have playing here for a month and that helps you with roster decisions for next season.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

I don't prescribe to the whole idea of "yanking" a prospect around. Guys get brought up and sent down during their development. It is just a thing that happens as the team learns more about and watches the player grow.

I shouldn't have mentioned Guance, my main point is that they should ride Pouliot the last month and see what happens.

I believe you would have a much better idea what you have playing here for a month and that helps you with roster decisions for next season.

I think they have a very good idea of what they have, at least to this point: a guy who can't put it all together yet with very questionable foot speed. The fact that they have done just about everything in their power through other call ups and trades to keep him out of the every day lineup tells me that the above is what they see, and I'm inclined to agree.

He got called up recently because they wanted to see how he looked thus far in an NHL game and so it wouldn't count against the limited call ups from here on in. It's just a blip on the radar. By and large he is in WBS honing his game at this point in his career.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Over Ruhwedel? I get the point, but neither does it bother me all that much that he was sent back. But regardless of how one thinks he did in the Chicago game, him sitting the next two (TB/BUF) doesn't make sense for him either. He needs to play, and our NHL team is very full as it is, and will only get fuller as we start getting bodies back.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I don't prescribe to the whole idea of "yanking" a prospect around. Guys get brought up and sent down during their development. It is just a thing that happens as the team learns more about and watches the player grow.

I think they have a very good idea of what they have, at least to this point: a guy who can't put it all together yet with very questionable foot speed. The fact that they have done just about everything in their power through other call ups and trades to keep him out of the every day lineup tells me that the above is what they see, and I'm inclined to agree.

He got called up recently because they wanted to see how he looked thus far in an NHL game and so it wouldn't count against the limited call ups from here on in. It's just a blip on the radar. By and large he is in WBS honing his game at this point in his career.

Well that's the positive spin on it, but to me, it seems eerily similar to the very same path for growth they put Despres on.

Going into next year, they will be exactly in the same spot with Pouliot that they they were heading into this season, only he will have less value as trade chip.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

The Pens got where they were last year on the back of guys they have developed. It is very possible Sid's linemates are Sheary and Guentzel - two developmental prospects. They weren't high draft picks, and they certainly weren't given anything. Without Bryan Rust, we don't win the Cup last season. Kuhnhackl is an NHL player. We developed Schultz into one of the best offensive defensemen in the league this season while refining his defensive game.

At some point in time, people need to start looking at the player and questioning if they really want it. Pouliot doesn't seem to want it.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Had a couple off-season ideas rattlin' around in the old noggin, wanted to bounce em off you guys to see if I'm crazy to think the other teams would go for either of these:

Maatta+? to CGY for Backlund or TOR for Kadri. Thoughts?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Well that's the positive spin on it, but to me, it seems eerily similar to the very same path for growth they put Despres on.

Going into next year, they will be exactly in the same spot with Pouliot that they they were heading into this season, only he will have less value as trade chip.

I think it's different for the simple facts that a) that was a different regime and b) Despres looked solid so it was justified that people were annoyed with his playing time.

When I look at Pouliot I'm only coming up with crumbs as far as why he should be playing at the NHL level right now. The majority of time Pouliot has been up here he's been mistake prone, slow, or both.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The Pens got where they were last year on the back of guys they have developed. It is very possible Sid's linemates are Sheary and Guentzel - two developmental prospects. They weren't high draft picks, and they certainly weren't given anything. Without Bryan Rust, we don't win the Cup last season. Kuhnhackl is an NHL player. We developed Schultz into one of the best offensive defensemen in the league this season while refining his defensive game.

At some point in time, people need to start looking at the player and questioning if they really want it. Pouliot doesn't seem to want it.

Ok, but it begs to ask the question why haven't they traded him? So very dumb that they didn't trade him last offseason and now his value is plummeting.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

One can argue that they should have sent him down last year after the Schultz transaction, but they didn't really have a better number 8 and if we had a few injuries they needed him. Still, I'll call it a mistake.

Other than that, the rest is on Pouliot. He has sucked or been outplayed by other WBS call ups in any opportunity given this year. He deserves to be sent back down.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Gaunce is up here to sit in the press box. That's why they sent Pouliot back down.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ok, but it begs to ask the question why haven't they traded him? So very dumb that they didn't trade him last offseason and now his value is plummeting.

You need a buyer. If he develops he would be exactly what this organization needs. And defensemen can be notoriously slow to develop. If the return was underwhelming it likely was better to let it play out here and see what happens. Still could happen actually though with each passing year the chances lessen. Dumoulin came into his own at 24 and Pouliot is 23 now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Major difference. Despres was NHL ready but they refused to play him and signed Mark Eaton from retirement to play over him. I know Streit is old, but he's no Mark Eaton and he's currently better at whatever Pouliot is supposed to excel at.

Pouliot just isn't good enough for this team right now. It's time for the team to get ready for the playoffs, not "let's see what we've got with this kid" time. That time was training camp and early in the season. Unfortunately for Pouliot, he was injured in the early going and then struggled when he did play.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Why should have traded him last off season? Schultz proving himself as an every day difference maker last summer was far from a given. Pouliot could/should have competed and challenged him for a spot. He didn't do that for a variety of reasons (injury, suckage, Schultz better than expected). Now his value is at an all time low and with expansion, he's worth more to the Pens than in a trade.

Next year is his make or break year.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Why should have traded him last off season? Schultz proving himself as an every day difference maker last summer was far from a given. Pouliot could/should have competed and challenged him for a spot. He didn't do that for a variety of reasons (injury, suckage, Schultz better than expected). Now his value is at an all time low and with expansion, he's worth more to the Pens than in a trade.

Next year is his make or break year.

I think it's in both parties best interests to facilitate a trade with a similar dman or forward.

Duclair rings a bell.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think it's in both parties best interests to facilitate a trade with a similar dman or forward.

Duclair rings a bell.

I'm not opposed and I have been on record saying I don't think it will end up working out with the Pens. That said, if JR and Co. think he has a real chance next year and with potentially losing someone in expansion, then I'm fine keeping him. If we exit expansion with Letang, Dumo, Maatta, Schultz, and Cole still around, I'd consider trading him as you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad