Salary Cap: Pens Add Streit & Corrado; Subtract Fehr & 4th Rounders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Absolutely, but Pouliot doesn't fit that bill imo.

Obviously I hope you're wrong but can't really argue it at the moment.

However, I'd persist, simply because I don't see getting any return that justifies not taking the gamble at the moment. Shame we didn't trade him at the start of the season.

My question... with Schultz becoming a great two way RHD (not to mention the love this website has for him), is Letang expendable? Between the draft of this year and next year, assuming Schultz signs a 1-year RFA contract, what would the return for Letang look like?

No, he's not expendable, particularly if Schultz is only one a one year deal. Schultz would have to be on a looooong deal to make that even worth considering.

Letang's only going somewhere for a ridiculous overpay and that's how it should be.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Obviously I hope you're wrong but can't really argue it at the moment.

However, I'd persist, simply because I don't see getting any return that justifies not taking the gamble at the moment. Shame we didn't trade him at the start of the season

The disconnect with me is that I don't think it's a gamble. Even with our defense in bad shape and losing several guys this summer, I don't see moving Pouliot before his stock hits rock bottom is a gamble at all. Especially if we can get back a prospect in a similar rut, maybe someone like Duclair from Arizona (popular pick, just off the top of my head).

Maybe a change of scenery or a shift to a slower team/conference does wonders for Pouliot, but I would be hard pressed to imagine that he rounds out to even a serviceable bottom pairing guy for this team. I just don't see anything whatsoever in his game, offensively or defensively, that leads me to believe he'll turn that corner in his organization.

And now we have this Corrado kid that was by all accounts in the same situation Pouliot is in now while up in Toronto. So if Pouliot is moved and we end up needing someone, we have another fallback option with a similar style.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
My question... with Schultz becoming a great two way RHD (not to mention the love this website has for him), is Letang expendable? Between the draft of this year and next year, assuming Schultz signs a 1-year RFA contract, what would the return for Letang look like?

Not without signing some other high end RD who is mobile and can move the puck like Letang/Schultz can. Now if Shattenkirk (or someone similar) would actually consider coming to Pittsburgh for something semi reasonable (say 7x6.25m), then I'd at least consider moving Letang and signing Shatty (assuming Schultz would sign a LT extension as well). But that's a lot of IFs and assumptions that would have to happen before I'd go that route.

Could it be something that could be looked at under the right circumstances? Yes. But those would have to be some pretty specific circumstances. And even then you have to wonder. Letang when he's even close to on, is one hell of a D. When he's on on, he's among the best in the league. The downsides, are his constant injury woes that get tiring after a while, and his ups and downs - although I think almost every D has their down moments - we just do not see them as much due to how little we watch other teams/players.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'd rather keep Letang over Shattenkirk. I mean we would get a sweet haul for Letang but i'll wait and see what Letang turns into once he's 100%. We live and die by Letang, maybe we should find someone that plays LD that can be awesome for Letang as a partner.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The disconnect with me is that I don't think it's a gamble. Even with our defense in bad shape and losing several guys this summer, I don't see moving Pouliot before his stock hits rock bottom is a gamble at all. Especially if we can get back a prospect in a similar rut, maybe someone like Duclair from Arizona (popular pick, just off the top of my head).

Maybe a change of scenery or a shift to a slower team/conference does wonders for Pouliot, but I would be hard pressed to imagine that he rounds out to even a serviceable bottom pairing guy for this team. I just don't see anything whatsoever in his game, offensively or defensively, that leads me to believe he'll turn that corner in his organization.

And now we have this Corrado kid that was by all accounts in the same situation Pouliot is in now while up in Toronto. So if Pouliot is moved and we end up needing someone, we have another fallback option with a similar style.

My opinion is based on his trade value being pretty much rock bottom. If there's a decent return out there, a damaged goods prospect swap or something, then sure.

If there isn't though, I'd rather keep him, even if he is a long shot. There's space for him, Corrado and Bengtsson in WBS after all.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sheary (2.50) - Crosby (8.70) - Hornqvist (4.25)
Guentzel (.925) - Malkin (9.50) - Sprong (.925)
Rust (.640) - XXXX - Kessel (6.80)
Wilson (.625) - Sundqvist (.925) - Kuhnhackl (.625)

Dumo (3.25) - Letang (7.25)
XXXX - Schultz (5.00)
Maatta (4.08) - XXXX

Murray (3.75)
XXXX

That's the foundation I'd go with moving forward. It leaves a ton of work to be done, but not all of the moves need to be made at once.

I'd be fine parting ways with Hagelin as we have Rust who essentially does the same thing but for a fraction of the price. I think that'd be much more apparent this season if Rust hadn't gotten injured. I love Hagelin, but not at $4M/yr.

Bonino's hat trick tonight doesn't outweigh his first 60ish terrible games this season. I'll wait to see what he does come playoff time, but I think what we're seeing is a lot closer to what Bonino is as opposed to what we saw down the stretch last season and through the playoffs.

I'm ready to move on from Maatta. I'm not saying I'd dump him for peanuts, but if we can use him in a 1-for-1 or as part of a significant package to land a guy that helps this team now and moving forward, I'd go for it. His skating is just something I can't get past, especially on this team which is built entirely on speed and transition. The NHL is a copycat league so I'd expect more teams to shift to a more speed oriented game, and that doesn't bode well for Maatta's chances at regaining the level of play we saw from him for the first half of his rookie season. I know his advanced stats aren't bad, but I think this is one of those situations where you have to take that stuff with a grain of salt.

Daley overachieved like crazy after being traded here, but the honeymoon is over. Time to move on.

Cole is a pretty bad defenseman and it's apparent that the success of the Cole-Schultz pairing was squarely on the shoulders of the latter player.

Sheary (2.50) - Crosby (8.70) - Hornqvist (4.25)
Guentzel (.925) - Malkin (9.50) - Sprong (.925)
Rust (.640) - XXXX - Kessel (6.80)
Wilson (.625) - Sundqvist (.925) - Kuhnhackl (.625)

Dumo (3.25) - Letang (7.25)
Alzner (5.25) - Schultz (5.00)
Maatta (4.08) - Kulikov (3.00)

Murray (3.75)
XXXX

I'd like to see us go after Alzner (I think he'd be great alongside Schultz) and Kulikov (we have a knack for rebuilding underachieving blueliners' careers). Could also put Alzner with Letang and put Dumo with Schultz. Solid balance on the blueline there, and a top-4 I really like a lot (assuming Dumo can right the ship, which I think he will). Move Hagelin and Cole, let Bonino/Kunitz/Daley walk.

That's $67.995M, with a 3C and backup to sign. Assuming the cap goes up to something like $73M, that's a ton of room. Could even slide Sundqvist up (assuming he impresses in camp/pre-season) and put someone like Rowney at 4C.

I would love a guy like Duchene here, but I think the blueline's a much, much more glaring need. That's tough to type out... :laugh: I would love to see Duchene on Sid's wing, and I think they'd be absolutely incredible together.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't think Cole is a bad defenseman, I just think he's a bottom pairing guy who gets exposed when he's used higher up the lineup than that. I also don't know about paying Alzner over $5 million. That's a hefty price for a strictly stay-at-home who adds very little offense.

In a lot of ways, I think the best off-season moves JR can make are the subtractions. Move Fleury (finally) and let Kunitz walk (finally), and what's left over is easier to then evaluate. For instance, do we still need to pay big for Duchene if Guentzel/Sheary actually get a fair shot on Sid's wing, and aren't just used in mop-up duty when Kunitz wastes 2 periods of scoring chances? That money might be better spent getting a defenseman who can add offense so we have insurance when Letang misses his inevitable 15+ games.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Bonino's hat trick tonight doesn't outweigh his first 60ish terrible games this season. I'll wait to see what he does come playoff time, but I think what we're seeing is a lot closer to what Bonino is as opposed to what we saw down the stretch last season and through the playoffs.

I don't disagree... but we still need someone in that role, and the options we'll get in FA are not very appealing. I mean if we can trade for one, then by all means. But if it's true that Sakic was looking for both Sprong and Guentzel as the starting point for Duchene, then that's a pretty easy deal to walk away from. Which means we still need someone to fill those minutes. And looking at the FA options, other than pure desperation and going after someone who'll sign a 1 year deal, little appeals to me there. Honestly, I'd almost rather re-sign Bonino (yes even after this season). But then that comes down to cap and term, and I just struggle with seeing him willing to sign something I'd be comfortable with (sub 3.5m, 4 or less years).

I'm ready to move on from Maatta. I'm not saying I'd dump him for peanuts, but if we can use him in a 1-for-1 or as part of a significant package to land a guy that helps this team now and moving forward, I'd go for it. His skating is just something I can't get past, especially on this team which is built entirely on speed and transition. The NHL is a copycat league so I'd expect more teams to shift to a more speed oriented game, and that doesn't bode well for Maatta's chances at regaining the level of play we saw from him for the first half of his rookie season. I know his advanced stats aren't bad, but I think this is one of those situations where you have to take that stuff with a grain of salt.

Cole is a pretty bad defenseman and it's apparent that the success of the Cole-Schultz pairing was squarely on the shoulders of the latter player.

Maatta I'd move (especially before the ED) for the right player coming back. It would almost certainly have to be a center or a good young winger with term. Perhaps there's a deal to be had with Boston? Most of their D are RD, and only 1 will be under 25 come Oct 2017. Would you move Maatta for Spooner+? Not sure they'd like the cap hit, or whether they'd want to move Backes to their #3C spot. And I do not think they'd have any centers in their system ready to move up. But that still might be something worth exploring.

As for Cole, I see little reason to move him. Is he great? No. But as an affordable 3rd pairing defensive D who can skate, move the puck and play up in the lineup if needed, I'm fine with him.

I'd like to see us go after Alzner (I think he'd be great alongside Schultz) and Kulikov (we have a knack for rebuilding underachieving blueliners' careers). Could also put Alzner with Letang and put Dumo with Schultz. Solid balance on the blueline there, and a top-4 I really like a lot (assuming Dumo can right the ship, which I think he will). Move Hagelin and Cole, let Bonino/Kunitz/Daley walk.

I would love a guy like Duchene here, but I think the blueline's a much, much more glaring need. That's tough to type out... :laugh: I would love to see Duchene on Sid's wing, and I think they'd be absolutely incredible together.

While I agree we need to make some changes to the blueline... I'm hesitant (even if we move Maatta and Hagelin) to commit to someone long term (like Alzner). It's easy right now to say, sure we can afford to spend 6x5.5m on Alzner... but in 2 years we'll have to resign the following players: Rust, Sheary (assuming we do not give him 3+ years this summer) & Sprong. The year after (3 years) we'll need to resign Murray & Guentzel.

I think the safe move is to lock up Schultz (~5m), Dumoulin (3-4m) and Sheary (3.5-4m) long term. It'll cost a little more up front, but give us a few more options over the next few years. As for fixing our blueline, it depends on whether Maatta goes or not. If he does, I'd look into what Smith and Kulikov want. I'd also look into re-signing Hainsey (1 year). If Maatta doesn't go (and our top 4 are all still here past the ED), I'm not sure what to do, as there's not really much room on the blueline. But my main concern is to ensure that nothing we do this summer handcuffs us in 2-3 years. Sure, it's a few years away, but it's not like we have a ton of contracts coming off the books over that time frame that would be opening up cap space for us. It's a little different if Hagelin isn't moved, but then if that's the case, we really do not have much money to spend shopping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad