Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Habs 3 (OT) - Canadian Bacon II: CBC Calls Kunitz Lazy, Steigy Declares War

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah... I haven't seen Malkin rifle one quite like that in a good while. Though he was obviously feeling it all night. Phil really put that one right in his wheelhouse, too. I feel like we'd see that shot more often if those two played catch while rotating up top like they did during that play... culminating in the one-timer. It works especially well because the D has to respect Phil's shot potentially coming from up top through traffic.

Also... so far it's looking like KIRK was on to something with Malkin and Hornqvist being together as dumb enough to work. I'm still not sold on it but results are results. And Hagelin on the opposite side over Kunitz obviously helps out immensely. I'd still prefer to simply go back to HMK but this has the look of success about it, as well. And it's also helping Hagelin out of his rut (getting away form Bonino will do that, it seems) which is also very important. Hagelin and Malkin seem to work fairly well together.

Hell... Malkin and anyone seems to be working together pretty well this year. I have to give the guy full credit. He's having a hell of a season.

EDIT: Major plus -- they kept Letang off the top powerplay unit in favor of Schultz. Hope it stays that way. It won't but I can hope.

I always chalked up Malkin and Hornqvist not working up to reps and time together, but we never really had the time to get things going because the team has always been so injured. We always talk about how Sid likes to play with ham and eggers, but we never bring up how well Geno did with Fedotenko and Talbot flanking him. I think Hornqvist has potential to be good for Geno as good as he is for Sid. Hornqvist's game is pretty universal.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I always chalked up Malkin and Hornqvist not working up to reps and time together, but we never really had the time to get things going because the team has always been so injured. We always talk about how Sid likes to play with ham and eggers, but we never bring up how well Geno did with Fedotenko and Talbot flanking him. I think Hornqvist has potential to be good for Geno as good as he is for Sid. Hornqvist's game is pretty universal.

I mean... I think it's been tried a good bit. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I feel like Malkin and Horns have been given more than just a handful of games together the last few years. BUT a lot of that was under a total boob of a coach. And you're right that injuries create inconsistency issues when trying to gel lines... and Malkin has certainly had plenty of injuries.

In theory it was always something that SHOULD work. Hornqvist creates room for his linemates. That's what he does. Particularly in front of the net. As creative as Malkin is, as heavy/accurate a shot as he has and owing to his history of "hard worker" types that he's had success with... you'd think it would be 2/3rds of a natural fit.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I mean... I think it's been tried a good bit. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I feel like Malkin and Horns have been given more than just a handful of games together the last few years. BUT a lot of that was under a total boob of a coach. And you're right that injuries create inconsistency issues when trying to gel lines... and Malkin has certainly had plenty of injuries.

In theory it was always something that SHOULD work. Hornqvist creates room for his linemates. That's what he does. Particularly in front of the net. As creative as Malkin is, as heavy/accurate a shot as he has and owing to his history of "hard worker" types that he's had success with... you'd think it would be 2/3rds of a natural fit.

has the winger on the other side ever had speed? I honestly don't remember who its been tried with, other than Perron and Kunitz.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
As an anti Malkin Hornqvist guy, I do think it can work if Hornqvist isn't the primary winger playing give and gos with Geno up the ice. If he just goes straight to the net and let's Geno and the other linemates work their magic up high. I like Hagelin but that doesn't seem like a long term fit. I'd try Guentzel-Malkin-Hornqvist and either bump Hagelin up with Sid and Rust with Bones-Kessel or just go back to HBK. Alternatively, you could try Sheary-Crosby-Kessel but I have my doubts about that line.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
As an anti Malkin Hornqvist guy, I do think it can work if Hornqvist isn't the primary winger playing give and gos with Geno up the ice. If he just goes straight to the net and let's Geno and the other linemates work their magic up high. I like Hagelin but that doesn't seem like a long term fit. I'd try Guentzel-Malkin-Hornqvist and either bump Hagelin up with Sid and Rust with Bones-Kessel or just go back to HBK. Alternatively, you could try Sheary-Crosby-Kessel but I have my doubts about that line.

I think Hags and Geno work really well together actually. I think he's why its working with Horny this time. If we are going to break up HGH I'd be moving Horny still, not Hags. Either for Kessel or Rust. I wouldn't touch it right now, but if I was going to change it I would love to see Geno with both Rust and Hagelin.

Its also far more likely to work when our D situation is better. Having one of Letang, Daley, or Schultz on the ice at all times will do wonders for our offense.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
has the winger on the other side ever had speed? I honestly don't remember who its been tried with, other than Perron and Kunitz.

No. I don't think so. I mean... with any sort of consistency.

I think Hags and Geno work really well together actually. I think he's why its working with Horny this time.

Yeah, I agree. I actually like Hornqvist the least out of the two on that line. I think Hagelin and Malkin actually work well together and is the primary reason the line looks dangerous. Hagelin simply causes chaos/mistakes with his speed and tenacity. Which is dangerous when you have Malkin lurking around.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No. I don't think so. I mean... with any sort of consistency.

Yeah, I agree. I actually like Hornqvist the least out of the two on that line. I think Hagelin and Malkin actually work well together and is the primary reason the line looks dangerous. Hagelin simply causes chaos/mistakes with his speed and tenacity. Which is dangerous when you have Malkin lurking around.

Hags and Hornqvist do the things that 2012 Kunitz did to help Geno win an Art Ross. Neither is as well rounded as Kunitz was, but they are each better at the part that they do well. Hags is faster than Kunitz ever was, and Hornqvist is a better board battler/net front guy than Kunitz ever was.

Sadly, neither of them has anything resembling James Neal's shot. Actually, neither of them even has 2012 Kunitz's shot. This line will need to rely more on Geno as the shooter and score a lot of greasy goals.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This is true. And regrettable.

But if Malkin keeps shooting the puck the way he has this year, it doesn't matter much. He's simply found ways to score all season long.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This is true. And regrettable.

But if Malkin keeps shooting the puck the way he has this year, it doesn't matter much. He's simply found ways to score all season long.

I'm actually OK with it. This setup may result in less goals, but it also likely results in Geno playing along the boards less often.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
And, once again, MAJOR PROPS to CBC for specifically using the word LAZY to describe Kunitz's **** backcheck on the Habs third goal. Brings a tear to the eye to think at least someone in the sports media sees the truth.

Really enjoyed CBC's coverage -- so refreshing to get actual thoughtful analysis of the game.

The CBC guys thought Fleury overplayed that first goal but, to be fair, ithe shot came from a fairly high percentage area.

HNY all!

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
I'm still saddened that Kessel is wasting away on a 3rd line with degenerates when he could easily be the fix to the RW situation on Sid's line.

We need to at least try Kessel and Sid together. They played like 8 games together under Mike ****ing Johnston, which we all know may as well have not even counted.

Isn't this the first time Malkin has been with Hornqvist with Sully as coach? Pretty sure the rest came under Johnston.. though I could be mistaken.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm still saddened that Kessel is wasting away on a 3rd line with degenerates when he could easily be the fix to the RW situation on Sid's line.

We need to at least try Kessel and Sid together. They played like 8 games together under Mike ****ing Johnston, which we all know may as well have not even counted.

Isn't this the first time Malkin has been with Hornqvist with Sully as coach? Pretty sure the rest came under Johnston.. though I could be mistaken.

wasting away :laugh: Dude's scoring a point per game and is tied for 5th in scoring in the league :laugh: The funny thing is, I actually agree we don't have him in a good spot. But its really hard to argue with the results when you think about it. But I would like to see Kessel with Sid. That has only happened for maybe a combined 4 or 5 periods under Sully. Horny and Geno have been tried under Sully a decent bit actually though. I can't remember it ever being with a wing with speed.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... I don't completely disagree, though.

Bonino/Kessel isn't some super secret powerhouse duo regardless of how badly the coaching staff/fans wants it to be.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I mean... I don't completely disagree, though.

Bonino/Kessel isn't some super secret powerhouse duo regardless of how badly the coaching staff/fans wants it to be.

oh for sure. Bonino really needs to get himself going. Hags and Horny have stepped up lately. Now its time for Bonino and Daley to do the same.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Hags and Hornqvist do the things that 2012 Kunitz did to help Geno win an Art Ross. Neither is as well rounded as Kunitz was, but they are each better at the part that they do well. Hags is faster than Kunitz ever was, and Hornqvist is a better board battler/net front guy than Kunitz ever was.

Sadly, neither of them has anything resembling James Neal's shot. Actually, neither of them even has 2012 Kunitz's shot. This line will need to rely more on Geno as the shooter and score a lot of greasy goals.

Geno as the shooter is a good thing. He has 2 of our best guys for dumping the puck too. Hags will create space with his speed and Horny will attract attention with his net and board work.

Those 2 aren't the most skilful guys but at least Hagelin can carry the puck up the ice with speed if they try to focus on Geno too much.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
wasting away :laugh: Dude's scoring a point per game and is tied for 5th in scoring in the league :laugh: The funny thing is, I actually agree we don't have him in a good spot. But its really hard to argue with the results when you think about it. But I would like to see Kessel with Sid. That has only happened for maybe a combined 4 or 5 periods under Sully. Horny and Geno have been tried under Sully a decent bit actually though. I can't remember it ever being with a wing with speed.

Bit of a hyperbole by me :laugh:

Too lazy to look up the raw numbers, but Kessel seems to have amassed a lot of his points on the powerplay this season. At even strength he has seemed neutered playing with Bonino. Kessel has been fine, I just think we can get even more out of him (and possibly out of Sid) if we played them together, especially with the way Kessel has been dishing passes out to everyone.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oddly enough, I liked the look of the Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist line. It's kinda funny though, because my first two thoughts would be "you can't play Malkin and Hornqvist together" and "you can't play Hagelin and Hornqvist together", yet both of those were proven false last night. But at the same point, HMH just screams KCD to me and I'd be really concerned about their ability to produce in the playoffs.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Oddly enough, I liked the look of the Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist line. It's kinda funny though, because my first two thoughts would be "you can't play Malkin and Hornqvist together" and "you can't play Hagelin and Hornqvist together", yet both of those were proven false last night. But at the same point, HMH just screams KCD to me and I'd be really concerned about their ability to produce in the playoffs.

The big thing I see that makes that different is that they will see 2nd D coverage while KCD saw top D units.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016

Yeah I can see that but it's a little different to KCD. Hagelins pace will attract attention. One of the quickest in the league. Hornqvist work around the net/boards (one of the best in the league) will also attract attention.

It'll give Geno some space. If they double team him. He can just dump it while those two create some chaos. Or Hagelin skates the puck up the ice and with his speed it will keep the D back a bit.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah I can see that but it's a little different to KCD. Hagelins pace will attract attention. One of the quickest in the league. Hornqvist work around the net/boards (one of the best in the league) will also attract attention.

It'll give Geno some space. If they double team him. He can just dump it while those two create some chaos. Or Hagelin skates the puck up the ice and with his speed it will keep the D back a bit.

Yeah, I think they are a bitter different than KCD. While neither set of wings has much in the way of puck skills, Hags and Horny are both better at their main strength than Kunitz or Dupuis. Those two are more well rounded guys, but Dupuis isn't as fast as Hags and Kunitz isn't as strong as Horny. So they aren't as versatile maybe, but their top attribute is much harder to keep in check I think. Especially for a 2nd D unit.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I still don't like Hornqvist on Geno's line. He's a relative afterthought there and Rust isn't doing Sid any favours in PH's usual spot.

But coach is trying stuff. We're winning and it's December, so whatever.

Good on Sully for keeping Schultz on PP1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad