Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Panthers 2 - Now THAT Is What A 6M Winger Looks Like

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
Letang isn't a forward. IMO, The other players aren't better than Jake...and I don't think it's close.

Oh I missed the forward part. Maybe Morozov or Hirdina. Kraft had a couple okay seasons. Erik Christensen was a top 9 forward. TK, even though he loved to shoot it at the goalies logo, still had some big goals for us. Dont sleep on Rust and Sundquvist. And the jury is still out on Kapenan.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Oh I missed the forward part. Maybe Morozov or Hirdina. Kraft had a couple okay seasons. Erik Christensen was a top 9 forward. TK, even though he loved to shoot it at the goalies logo, still had some big goals for us. Dont sleep on Rust and Sundquvist. And the jury is still out on Kapenan.

Are you drunk right now, sir?

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Here's what a bargain Jake Guentzel is:

He now has 29 ES goals. Kane leads the league with 31. Ovechkin and Tavares are tied with 30.

Guentzel's younger than the youngest of them by 4 years and cheaper than the cheapest of them by 3.5 mil per.
Even crazier when you consider that he's still on his ELC

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Are you drunk right now, sir?
Even crazier when you consider that he's still on his ELC

And what others his age(and production) are making whove signed recently. He easily could have waited and gotten over 7...8. Nylander has done nothing yet in the playoffs and the guy holds out.

Jake should be a fan fav. Hes making 500k more than Brooks Orpik

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Meh water finds its level... just like with Rust earlier... all those guys are snakebit... when the floodgates open that won’t be an issue
Hopefully that'll be the case. I feel sure Phil will break out. A little concerned about Horny and a couple others however.

Gotta be happy with the blue line though, even with injury these guys are holding their own. Nothing special but we just need them to play strong fundamentally and have Shultz effectively fuel the transition. Which he's done.

I also like our team speed. We're a bit faster now.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I wasn't saying we haven't developed other good/passable forwards. Just that none of them has been as good as Jake since Naslund (or maybe even Jagr)! *Again this doesn't count Sid or Geno who were both "best player not in NHL" when they came to the Penguins in the NHL.

I do miss Christensen in a "fun to remember" kinda way...guy had skill and was really nice in the shootouts for a couple years. Letang was, too, before he took up permanent residence in his own head. In the shootout anyway. He is a great player at actual hockey but not an automatic shootout selection like he was early in his career.

Reactions: pokey10

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Have to give credit to Sully for breaking up Geno and Phil in OT. That's just too much defensive suck to have on one line.

Also, Petts leading the team in corsi/fenwick. Simon right there as well.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Geno is too good to let that continue. Playoff time him and The Elephantine Thrill will light **** up. Just watch.

Yeah not even worried about Malkin tbh(unless some injury we dont know about). He will get it going. He knows when hes at the top of his game...Sid sudddenly falls off...and vice versa. So just being a good teammate lol.

But seriously, Kessel is the one they have to mix things up to get the most out of him. If Rust comes back..he goes with Malkin. Put Kessel with Bjusgtad and McCann. Thats the best possible pair to get him going.

Or dress 7 dmen(Guds for his fighting of course) and sit Wilson finally. Cullen/ZAR/Simon/Blueger are 4th line options with Crosby/Malkin/Kessel getting time . maybe Kessel would do well with Cullen and Blueger...two guys who play the right way. Do all the work and set him up.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007

Christensen was always bottom six. Jury is definitely not out on Kappy, the kid is a stud.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Sid & Jake, man.

Guentzel is the best forward this organization has developed since...uh...um...like I think it's legit been 20 years. Sid & Geno weren't actually developed here - well Geno a little bit. They were destined for superstardom from the time they entered the NHL.

Someone who's more of a Penguin historian, legit question of the last forward we've developed (not counting #87 and #71) who is better than Jake. Jake has now surpassed Staal easily.
A lot of this probably had to do with the fact we didn’t give budding superstars like sprong or plotnikov a fair chance

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah not even worried about Malkin tbh(unless some injury we dont know about). He will get it going. He knows when hes at the top of his game...Sid sudddenly falls off...and vice versa. So just being a good teammate lol.

But seriously, Kessel is the one they have to mix things up to get the most out of him. If Rust comes back..he goes with Malkin. Put Kessel with Bjusgtad and McCann. Thats the best possible pair to get him going.

Or dress 7 dmen(Guds for his fighting of course) and sit Wilson finally. Cullen/ZAR/Simon/Blueger are 4th line options with Crosby/Malkin/Kessel getting time . maybe Kessel would do well with Cullen and Blueger...two guys who play the right way. Do all the work and set him up.
Yeah they need to really sort that out.

Guentzel, Crosby, McCann - I like this mix.
Simon, Malkin, Hornqvist
Aston-Reese, Bjugstad, Kessel

I'd give that top 9 a whirl.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'd put Morozov close to him, but thats about it.

Closest for sure. Should have stayed.

We really are spoiled with Guentzel tho. Hes the type of player we always wanted to add in FA for big money. Parise...Bobby Ryan(back then)..etc. And he allows us to trade Kessel(having him doesnt mean we dont need Phil all of a sudden, you want as much talent as you can get) since he could take over on 1st PP without us missing a beat. Without Guentzel we would have to keep Phil unless some GM offered a 1 for 1 trade like Neal for Hornqvist for example. But our options have now expanded. Could even move Phil at the draft like we did Staal. I dont think Pouliot has a brother in this draft so should be fine. Imagine getting a top 4-6 forward for example(theres way more forwards at top of draft than dmen this year...dont go dman just because we need a top one) and a top tier prospect. Then we could sign a player who helps us now for those worried about our window.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
And what others his age(and production) are making whove signed recently. He easily could have waited and gotten over 7...8. Nylander has done nothing yet in the playoffs and the guy holds out.

Jake should be a fan fav. Hes making 500k more than Brooks Orpik
Toronto’s core is actually a bunch of divas other than Captain Morgan

Jake is arguably the best thing that could have happened for this orginizations. A player who excels in big moments who can take some pressure off Sid and Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad