Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Panthers 2 - Now THAT Is What A 6M Winger Looks Like

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Sid & Jake, man.

Guentzel is the best forward this organization has developed since...uh...um...like I think it's legit been 20 years. Sid & Geno weren't actually developed here - well Geno a little bit. They were destined for superstardom from the time they entered the NHL.

Someone who's more of a Penguin historian, legit question of the last forward we've developed (not counting #87 and #71) who is better than Jake. Jake has now surpassed Staal easily.

Maybe Kevin Stevens or Mark Recchi? I am not counting Jagr since he was a high draft pick and went directly to the Pens.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don’t see him winning a Selke over Barkov or O’Reilly, but if he continues to produce and gets into the top 3 in terms of points, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets the Hart and Lindsey which would be so great and basically solidify him as a top five legacy player.

I don't think Barkov's getting it with a GA/60 of 2.98 and a negative plus/minus, right or wrong. O'Reilly is a good shout though.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Dubinsky made it.........

Jake might be captain at this rate.

You never know what kind of stupid Team USA will pull though. They'd probably leave him off in favor of Kris Draper (who I realize is Canadian...for now).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Great to see Dad so happy.

I know I said I'd be fine if the Pens missed and got a better pick but no...Cullen is f***ing awesome and I loved the signing before the two cups back to back and I'm glad he's back and will retire a Penguin.

I just hope it's with a summer of celebrating with the cup before he starts his eventual coaching career next season back in Minnesota.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Maybe Kevin Stevens or Mark Recchi? I am not counting Jagr since he was a high draft pick and went directly to the Pens.

Stevens wasn’t a Pens draft pick though, so not sure if he counts or not. They acquired his rights from the Kings. He was mostly developed by the Pens though and came through their system.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Stevens wasn’t a Pens draft pick though, so not sure if he counts or not. He was mostly developed by the Pens though.

He was drafted by the Kings, but I don't think they ever signed him. Coud be wrong though, that was a long time ago and the rules were different.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He was drafted by the Kings, but I don't think they ever signed him. Coud be wrong though, that was a long time ago and the rules were different.

Ya, I ninja edited my post about them acquiring his rights from the Kings.

If we are talking draft picks, then he’s technically out.

Picks that weren’t top five selections that the Pens drafted and developed into top six fwds are a very short list over the last 30 years.. but some damn good players. Guentzel has just gotten started so he’s hard to rank, but of the other guys I’d rank them:

Recchi
Naslund
Straka
Shawn McEachern
Malone

Each guy came through their system and played at least 100 games as a Pen before moving on and becoming really good players like Naslund and McEachern. Naslund was having a really good season when he got moved and McEachern already had a 28 goal, 60+ point season before he was shipped off.

But that is about the list we are working with, all depends on how much people feel the Pens developed a few of these guys.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
@Soggy Biscuit made a proposal at $8.5M that was in the "showering with money" category. For a player like Skinner, $8.5M is inflated but realistic for July 1st prices. Panarin however would be closer to $11M but he's a step up from Skinner.

Now having said that, we have to still land this player. That Stone is already off the board is disconcerting. Visions of Zach Parise 2012 dance around in my head.

I think we can also upgrade Phil with a less flashy, but more 2-way type ala Ferland or Dzingel. That increases our potential player pool by a lot.
I really hope you don't consider Dzingel as a two way type. He is probably even more one dimensional than Kessel. Someone like Donskoi would likely be better.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That’s too much dreaming/speculation for me.

It's certainly not something I would count on. But we're a marquee team with marquee players, and he'd fit us like a glove. I think it'd be worth pursuing if Buffalo doesn't re-sign him.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
It's certainly not something I would count on. But we're a marquee team with marquee players, and he'd fit us like a glove. I think it'd be worth pursuing if Buffalo doesn't re-sign him.

Also I don’t believe 8 year contracts are legal anymore for UFAs.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
He didn't reach Eric Tangradi (fan) poll levels until after he consistently performed well every season at UNO. That doesn't change the fact that he was always a highly skilled hockey player, even pre-draft.

He was that popular here?

Dude was absolute trash. Then whined after he was traded about "not getting a chance."

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
He was that popular here?

Dude was absolute trash. Then whined after he was traded about "not getting a chance."

No one named Eric or Erik was ever good on the Pens. Tell me I am wrong.

The closest to effective would be Fehr. Gudbranson is way too new here (and from what I have seen, just parks his *** in front of the crease all game, but whatever, if it works I'll take it).

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
No one named Eric or Erik was ever good on the Pens. Tell me I am wrong.

The closest to effective would be Fehr. Gudbranson is way too new here (and from what I have seen, just parks his *** in front of the crease all game, but whatever, if it works I'll take it).
You obviously have forgotten about the great Erik Christensen!

:sarcasm:

Reactions: TheTang58

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
You obviously have forgotten about the great Erik Christensen!

:sarcasm:

During his illustrious career in Pittsburgh, my apartment was #16. I sadly thought of him every single time I got home. And...even now when I see the number 16...there wasn't much of the X-Generation that hasn't given us all our own form of PTSD.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad