Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Caps 2 (OT): Me So Horny, Me So Horny

Status
Not open for further replies.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Give credit to Sullivan. There were a lot of reasons to slot Cullen in between Hagelin and Kessel when Malkin went down, but he recognized that a productive and effective Bonino was necessary for this team going forward and put him in the best position to get his game in order.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Why can't it be both?

To my mind the Kessel-Bones-Haglin line is a microcosm of the entire team.

Good to great players that fit incredibly well together. The whole is much more than the sum of the parts.

It is why when people wanted to move Malkin in for Bones I and some others rebelled. Those three just work, because each knows their role and plays it very well.

Again, a microcosm of the entire team and what has been working for them. Everyone is on the same page.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
i dont dispute that, but bonino also had a grand total of 8 assists before march, with the caveat being his missing a good amount of time in february
Offensively, Sutter does one thing well -- skate down the right boards and unleash a high shot. That's it, that's his one thing. The guy plays with blinders on out there, and IMO he's the exact opposite of a guy you want centering Hags and Bones.

OTOH Sutter worked well with Bennett in a very limited showing because Bennett with his great vision and playmaking could effectively play the center role off the wing for him.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I was willing to say that Trotz' gamble paid off with the Letang suspension, but now you have to really wonder if it didn't amplify the Pens getting in the Caps' heads with yesterday's game. That was supposed to be their shot at tying it up, now they're behind the 8 ball, Orpik's still out, they shot themselves in the foot in OT, the Caps' physicality isn't provoking the right response, and Letang (who is their Satan incarnate this season) is back.

I'll be shocked if we don't see Ovie implode again on Saturday.

IMO, they would have been "better off" had Tang not been suspended so they could feel like its was "us vs the league" kind of thing. With the suspension, they felt the pressure of a must win. And we all know hoe well the Caps handle pressure.

BigBadBoris

Apr 3, 2012
sutter mightve looked like a better playmaker with kessel and hagelin though too. bonino was a huge disappointment until being given those two as wingers.
Probably not. He would just do his skating fast down the right wing and shoot routine.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
i dont dispute that, but bonino also had a grand total of 8 assists before march, with the caveat being his missing a good amount of time in february

Oh yeah he definitely had a rough first half of the season. No doubt about it. So did at least half of the rest of the Pens.

BigBadBoris

Apr 3, 2012
If Bonino had another gear speed wise, he'd be a legit, no doubt about it top six center.

Three months ago I was calling him Nick Spaling. Yikes.
It seems like he thrives in pressure situations. Wasn't there talk about him being a good playoff performer? Or am I remembering wrong?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You know what's been HUGE this series? Malkin's composure. So many times in the past he goes psychotic. You know the Caps have been trying to throw him off his game with after the whistle BS. Malkin is the bigger man and just skated away. Absolutely frustrating the Caps. Hope it continues!

He's a poster child for what the team is doing. Between that and Murray, it's driving the Caps over the edge.

EDIT: Isolated on Daley last night. He was giving Oshie the business all game. Was driving Oshie bonkers.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
To be fair, noone saw that in 2012 or 2013. Especially noone on this board.

Most of those posters are the last stragglers in the "In Shero We Trust" club.

Speak for yourself. I knew what Bylsma was within a year of the cup win. I think Cole was a pretty early member of that club too.

And, pretty sure MTL was starting to sour on Shero really early.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
He's a poster child for what the team is doing. Between that and Murray, it's driving the Caps over the edge.

EDIT: Isolated on Daley last night. He was giving Oshie the business all game. Was driving Oshie bonkers.

Let's be honest. Until Sully arrived we had a LOT of poster children for lack of discipline hurting the team. They jettisoned some of them (I STILL would have loved to see if Sully could have made Neal not a moron. I have my doubts) but they still have several who have been surprisingly able to restrain themselves. Letang being the second after Malkin who comes to mind, but certainly not alone.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
You know what's been HUGE this series? Malkin's composure. So many times in the past he goes psychotic. You know the Caps have been trying to throw him off his game with after the whistle BS. Malkin is the bigger man and just skated away. Absolutely frustrating the Caps. Hope it continues!

Gone is turning it up a notch, and that hit on Wilson to start OT, just destroyed him physically as well as talking out Winnik, it's 2 pretty big bodies that he rag dolled!!!!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Let's be honest. Until Sully arrived we had a LOT of poster children for lack of discipline hurting the team. They jettisoned some of them (I STILL would have loved to see if Sully could have made Neal not a moron. I have my doubts) but they still have several who have been surprisingly able to restrain themselves. Letang being the second after Malkin who comes to mind, but certainly not alone.

Oh, Tom Wilson and Geno . . . who's trolling whom at this point? I have never seen Malkin this composed. And not just composed. I mean, I've seen him dial it back to the point he looks like he's been sedated. I mean where he's playing with an edge but not going over it. Letang too.

It's just another thing that's infectious. Cullen's ageless wonder. The exuberance of the young guys.

Really the only sad thing is Kunitz, and even there I kind of get why Sully has him with Geno. Geno still thinks he's a good player and wants to make it that way for him (took a few games, but Geno quietly has adjusted a little to account for where Kunitz's game really is). Kind of like where you're playing golf with your old uncle, he drives into the rough, he can't find the ball, you see it and kick it into the fairway when he's not looking . . . :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If Bonino had another gear speed wise, he'd be a legit, no doubt about it top six center.

Three months ago I was calling him Nick Spaling. Yikes.

Three months ago, Spaling could've sued you for libel for making the comparison. :laugh:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Oh, Tom Wilson and Geno . . . who's trolling whom at this point? I have never seen Malkin this composed. And not just composed. I mean, I've seen him dial it back to the point he looks like he's been sedated. I mean where he's playing with an edge but not going over it. Letang too.

It's just another thing that's infectious. Cullen's ageless wonder. The exuberance of the young guys.

Really the only sad thing is Kunitz, and even there I kind of get why Sully has him with Geno. Geno still thinks he's a good player and wants to make it that way for him. Kind of like where you're playing golf with your old uncle, he drives into the rough, he can't find the ball, you see it and kick it into the fairway when he's not looking . . . :laugh:

I do not get why when they finally moved Kunitz from the top line to the third line people are still upset. It is exactly what we asked for, and he has not looked horrid there. It is not like you are going to break up the Bones line or the fourth line. Geno is gonna Geno and he has looked dominant at times this series. I have no problem with Kunitz there.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Speak for yourself. I knew what Bylsma was within a year of the cup win. I think Cole was a pretty early member of that club too.

And, pretty sure MTL was starting to sour on Shero really early.

I guess you missed the joke. There was a strong contingent of posters who turned on Shero and DB in 2012 or 2013.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I do not get why when they finally moved Kunitz from the top line to the third line people are still upset. It is exactly what we asked for, and he has not looked horrid there. It is not like you are going to break up the Bones line or the fourth line. Geno is gonna Geno and he has looked dominant at times this series. I have no problem with Kunitz there.

He's sort of been a handicap for Geno if you're being honest about it, but it's also the least destructive place to play Kunitz if you must play him.

Thing is, I still think there's going to come a point where Sully is going to have to find a way to be a little more constructive in his use of Malkin, even if it means giving him a 5 on 5 shift without Kunitz.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
He's sort of been a handicap for Geno if you're being honest about it, but it's also the least destructive place to play Kunitz if you must play him.

Thing is, I still think there's going to come a point where Sully is going to have to find a way to be a little more constructive in his use of Malkin, even if it means giving him a 5 on 5 shift without Kunitz.

You are kinda operating on fumes when it comes to replacement wing options at that point though. Who would be such a huge upgrade over Kuntiz if you are not changing lines 1,2 and 4 at all? You may as well keep him there.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You are kinda operating on fumes when it comes to replacement wing options at that point though. Who would be such a huge upgrade over Kuntiz if you are not changing lines 1,2 and 4 at all? You may as well keep him there.

I didn't say otherwise. There really isn't another option save Sundqvist when Fehr plays, and they won't even think of going there.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I didn't say otherwise. There really isn't another option save Sundqvist when Fehr plays, and they won't even think of going there.

Sullivan, and JR as well, are removing things for us to complain about. I never thought that would happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad