Post-Game Talk: Pens 3, Caps 2 (OT): Me So Horny, Me So Horny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
i just dont understand the whining penguins narrative at this point in time. seems like an idea running on fumes. someone cited hornqvist wanting a call last night as some kind of egregious example of penguins arrogance and entitlement. have the capitals truly not looked for calls at all in this series? is this black and gold glasses on my part or the opposite?

Yeah, Cap players, coaches and fans should be careful with the Pens are whiners arguments.

pot_kettle_black.jpg

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't understand how Lovejoy is a liability but Pouliot isn't a huge, glaring, terrifying, transparently not ready for prime time liability. He could've lost us last night's game if Murray doesn't make a few huge saves. You can't say the same for Lovejoy.

He took a bad angle in hitting Richards and allowed him to get past him. Stuff happens. That's why the goaltender in hockey was invented...to save when a skater makes a mistake.

Pouliot isn't bad enough that he needs to be sat. He needs to be taught and he needs to stop being jerked around.

Again, you sit him when there's a better option. Not for Ben frickin' Lovejoy.

i just dont understand the whining penguins narrative at this point in time. seems like an idea running on fumes. someone cited hornqvist wanting a call last night as some kind of egregious example of penguins arrogance and entitlement. have the capitals truly not looked for calls at all in this series? is this black and gold glasses on my part or the opposite?

It's not you. Definitely not you.

Barry Trotz is coming out of this series with a sullied reputation if you ask me. If we somehow manage to win the series on Saturday, I would not be surprised if they fired Trotz. That's how whiny he has sounded throughout this series.

MacLellan strikes me as less patient than McPhee, so you never know.

First things first, let's finish the job.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He took a bad angle in hitting Richards and allowed him to get past him. Stuff happens. That's why the goaltender in hockey was invented...to save when a skater makes a mistake.

Pouliot isn't bad enough that he needs to be sat. He needs to be taught and he needs to stop being jerked around.

Again, you sit him when there's a better option. Not for Ben frickin' Lovejoy.

It's not Pouliot vs Lovejoy. It's Pouliot vs Schultz. Sully and co. clearly want 3 guys they feel confident in as defensive dmen. Those players are Dumo, Lovejoy, Cole.

Schultz is a better player than Pouliot right now and should be in over him. Say what you want about Lovejoy, but Pouliot has caused more odd man rushes against in 2 games than Lovejoy has allowed in 9 games this playoffs. Pouliot is the long term better player, for sure, but we don't have time right now to work through his kinks if we have enough healthy dmen to sit him.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If Maatta is healthy, then I would agree that Pouliot should sit. But if Maatta can't go then we don't have six healthy defense options better than 51. Enough with the Lovejoy already. He's a liability, and unlike Pouliot he has reached his peak performance. It's all downhill from here.

Whatever. It's not really that big of a deal. We're a win away from the Final Four. That's all that matters now.

Lovejoy makes his share of moron plays too but I can't recall any gift wrapped turnovers. With Lovejoy my frustration more stems from the fact that he often can't move the puck well at all. He'll get it in the d-zone with time and just ice it or chip it away and give up possession. He's got no vision.

Pouliot generally makes a good pass when he has it on his stick and isn't being heavily pressured. Trouble is he has those one to three brutal turnovers a game that are so bad that they can lead directly to goals. So even though he may be generally better at moving the puck than LJ it's a question of whether you can live with those brutal giveaways. I think given how tight the playoffs are, you can't.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
I think Lovejoy played really well for us last night, considering the circumstances and increased ice time. As far as Pouliot learning, well, I think he learned enough from the last two games :D We are 7 wins in with 9 to go, we are too deep in it to think about anything from a player development angle.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Lovejoy makes his share of moron plays too but I can't recall any gift wrapped turnovers. With Lovejoy my frustration more stems from the fact that he often can't move the puck well at all. He'll get it in the d-zone with time and just ice it or chip it away and give up possession. He's got no vision.

Pouliot generally makes a good pass when he has it on his stick and isn't being heavily pressured. Trouble is he has those one to three brutal turnovers a game that are so bad that they can lead directly to goals. So even though he may be generally better at moving the puck than LJ it's a question of whether you can live with those brutal giveaways. I think given how tight the playoffs are, you can't.

Agreed. Pouliot's biggest problem is a lack of urgency IMO. I've thought he's had that problem since he's been in the NHL and the playoffs are just faster and more intense. Lackadaisical is too strong a word, but he doesn't make decisions quickly enough for my liking. If he can get to pucks, process the play, and move the puck quicker, he'd be fine.

Once given time in the O zone with the puck, he makes really good plays, but I'd rather have the guy chipping the puck off the glass under pressure than the guy getting stripped of the puck or turning it over in the middle of the ice.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012

Again, you sit him when there's a better option.

TBH Lovejoy has played with more poise than Pouliot. But like someone else said, with Maatta out it becomes Pouliot vs Schultz for that lineup spot, not vs Lovejoy. The Rev is there to stay, sink or swim.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Agreed. Pouliot's biggest problem is a lack of urgency IMO. I've thought he's had that problem since he's been in the NHL and the playoffs are just faster and more intense. Lackadaisical is too strong a word, but he doesn't make decisions quickly enough for my liking. If he can get to pucks, process the play, and move the puck quicker, he'd be fine.

Once given time in the O zone with the puck, he makes really good plays, but I'd rather have the guy chipping the puck off the glass under pressure than the guy getting stripped of the puck or turning it over in the middle of the ice.

In fairness to Pouliot too, he's coming in cold and at as high an intensity environment as you can imagine. Not only that but he was probably playing more minutes last night than he ideally would have. So all of that is tough on a young kid like him. IMO even with the brutal turnovers he actually did okay. I was fearing/expecting much worse just due to how hard the Caps were forechecking and the stakes of the game.

I just hope if he does come out that it doesn't ruin his confidence. Kid didn't play a terrible game he's just gotta clean up a few things.

BigBadBoris

Apr 3, 2012
You remember when Sullivan said Bonino is a cerebral player? He was absolutely right. He's a damn smart hockey player.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Regarding acquiring Daley:

"[What he did in] Chicago was just a real small snapshot of [Daley],'' Rutherford said Wednesday night after his team's 3-2 overtime victory that gave it a 3-1 series lead. "I've liked Trevor his whole career. My friend Bobby Orr had been telling me for five years how good he is. I've always agreed with him, but just could never swing a deal for him. It's our good fortune that things didn't work out for him in Chicago. He became available; we were looking for more speed to our defense and get a better transition game.

Full article is here

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
In fairness to Pouliot too, he's coming in cold and at as high an intensity environment as you can imagine. Not only that but he was probably playing more minutes last night than he ideally would have. So all of that is tough on a young kid like him. IMO even with the brutal turnovers he actually did okay. I was fearing/expecting much worse just due to how hard the Caps were forechecking and the stakes of the game.

I just hope if he does come out that it doesn't ruin his confidence. Kid didn't play a terrible game he's just gotta clean up a few things.

Yeah I'm not even blaming Pouliot really. He obviously has a lot of talent and potential, but now is not the time to work on his game unless we don't have a choice. Schultz is a similar player that makes less mistakes. It's an easy call for me. You may need Pouliot later on, but when Letang comes back in, Pouliot should come out.

BigBadBoris

Apr 3, 2012
Yep he knows his role. He knows where to be and what needs to be done and when to burn some extra energy.

Reason why I was so pumped to get him.
He really seems to be a playoff type of player. He's also a really good playmaker.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Except Bonino is a good playmaker which can't be said about Sutter.

sutter mightve looked like a better playmaker with kessel and hagelin though too. bonino was a huge disappointment until being given those two as wingers.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
like sutter, expect the body is able and the spirit is willing

Actually nothing like Sutter. Sutter had good positioning, straight line speed, and a money shot off the rush when wide open.

Bones is equally smart with positioning, slower, a better shot blocker, really good passer, good stick handler in traffic, crafty player. He's a much better center than Sutter because he can distribute the puck to his wingers. Sutter sort of played on his own island.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
If Bonino had another gear speed wise, he'd be a legit, no doubt about it top six center.

Three months ago I was calling him Nick Spaling. Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad