Salary Cap: Pens '23-'24 Salary Cap Thread: "Youth movement is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's tough to win a Stanley Cup.

It sure is. And as a Penguins fan I'm thankful.

But this team has left a little too much on the table since then for my liking. Were it a matter of the players of consequence being washed for years that would be one thing. But perhaps until this season that's not the issue. So this team isn't doing all it can to win. And therefore they are basically shrugging their way to the finish line every season. White flag... just disguised as "hey no really we're COMPETING guys! It's true because I said it!"

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
May not but it’s pretty clear by now that we need changes in top six and on the PP to compete with our lack of finishing and complete dogshit of a PP…and I definitely don’t want to take on Huberdeau’s ridiculous contract even with a small amount retained
It's high risk for sure but, again, when I look at underperforming players I try to assess "why". The whole trade thing did not go well for him. This isn't injury related. I don't think he suddenly regressed from a 100+pt player to a 40pt player overnight. Yes, the contract is a major risk, but really, so was Kessel at the time. Kessel was obviously a smidge better in Toronto but we had to pony up to get him. I think Hubs is in "cap dump" territory right now where Calgary may be willing to just cut ties. We might be able to "rectify" a questionable signing in Graves as well. Given how many guys Calgary will likely be losing - Zadorov, Tanev, maybe Hanafin - I could see them having an interest in Graves and some cap space.

I think these are the high-risk, high-reward moves you need to make. We shouldn't be doling out picks or prospects. So really, our hands are tied. I certainly don't think trading Jake and signing Bertuzzi in FA is magically going to make them good again. Other avenues have to be explored while we are, at the same time, cautious to not ruin the development of guys like Yager and Pickering by forcing them too fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99 and Pens1566

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It sure is. And as a Penguins fan I'm thankful.

But this team has left a little too much on the table since then for my liking. Were it a matter of the players of consequence being washed for years that would be one thing. But perhaps until this season that's not the issue. So this team isn't doing all it can to win. And therefore they are basically shrugging their way to the finish line every season. White flag... just disguised as "hey no really we're COMPETING guys! It's true because I said it!"
Coaching. I think looking back from 2018 to 2025 (or whenever the window is "closed"), I think the majority will agree that coaching played too prominent of a role in the long-term failure.

There's no "good" time to let Sullivan go now. Fact is, no matter when they do it's already "too late".

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Coaching. I think looking back from 2018 to 2025 (or whenever the window is "closed"), I think the majority will agree that coaching played too prominent of a role in the long-term failure.

There's no "good" time to let Sullivan go now. Fact is, no matter when they do it's already "too late".

Yup.

This is really the root of my frustration. It isn't so much NOW as it is what has already been irrecoverably lost. For what? An NHL coach? Bah.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yup.

This is really the root of my frustration. It isn't so much NOW as it is what has already been irrecoverably lost. For what? An NHL coach? Bah.
They got 3 cups. In dark times, both present and foreseeable, we at least need to be appreciative of what they did accomplish. 2015-2016 maybe be my favorite year of hockey ever. That season man...what a ride.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They got 3 cups. In dark times, both present and foreseeable, we at least need to be appreciative of what they did accomplish. 2015-2016 maybe be my favorite year of hockey ever. That season man...what a ride.

No doubt. I know I complain but in the end the Penguins are a hell of a success story.

But I can't just let go of the fact that Sid has this much in the tank at this stage of his career and the team wants to hem and haw their way through it. It's a real shame.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No doubt. I know I complain but in the end the Penguins are a hell of a success story.

But I can't just let go of the fact that Sid has this much in the tank at this stage of his career and the team wants to hem and haw their way through it. It's a real shame.
I think there comes a point when we will shift from cups to just enjoying Sid climb the ladders and pass other greats in the game on individual performances. Maybe not unlike Washington fans and Ovechkin. I highly doubt any of them think they are winning a cup any time soon. They want Ovi to get to 895 though. Even me personally, I'd love to see 900.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yeah I get what SEAL is saying but sorry that doesn't really satiate me when Crosby can clearly still play at such a high level. OV looks mostly dusted. Not such much Sid.

Or like, one player at a top 15-20 player level for forwards means very little in the grand scheme of having a contending team.

If we can't construct a good enough team around him, we should reset.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yeah I get what SEAL is saying but sorry that doesn't really satiate me when Crosby can clearly still play at such a high level. OV looks mostly dusted. Not such much Sid.
I mean, I don't care what point totals are being reached. If the team's not in contention, you simply move it in the right direction until it is.
A team should never do what Washington is doing right now, burning years for sentiment when they know they're f***ed.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I mean, I don't care what point totals are being reached. If the team's not in contention, you simply move it in the right direction until it is.
A team should never do what Washington is doing right now, burning years for sentiment when they know they're f***ed.

If Crosby is going to insist on staying here, he can simply accumulate points on a rebuilding team. Oh the horror.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
This is how I view it:
It doesn't matter if you win 10 Cups in a row or miss the playoffs 10 consecutive years. In year 11 you do everything you can to progress the franchise, just the same.
There are no exceptions. Wasting any year, like Pitt and Washington are doing right now, is inexcusable.

If Crosby is going to insist on staying here, he can simply accumulate points on a rebuilding team. Oh the horror.
Yeah that's fine, as long as the team has the right goal in mind.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Oh god. Worst case scenario. What a waste of time for the franchise.
To be fair, I didn't say that is our current situation, nor should it be, but with each new year, I'd say it's reasonable to suggest that the likelihood starts to go down unless we find some sort of miracle. Especially with Sullivan as a coach. Fire him, and that might reinvigorate my passion.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Legacy matters and I do care about it.

But the team has already fiddlefarted around way too long. I was happy at the attempt made this year but they look largely the exact same. I couldn't possibly speculate as to WHY... it's just a big old mystery. But at this point you better start having some very serious conversations with the core about this whole mess and how they feel about what should happen next and their place or non-place in that next phase.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
To be fair, I didn't say that is our current situation, nor should it be, but with each new year, I'd say it's reasonable to suggest that the likelihood starts to go down unless we find some sort of miracle. Especially with Sullivan as a coach. Fire him, and that might reinvigorate my passion.
Yeah it isn't our current situation. The Caps don't hide the fact that they're trying to honor their core, and that they know they're toast. The Pens still pretend.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This is how I view it:
It doesn't matter if you win 10 Cups in a row or miss the playoffs 10 consecutive years. In year 11 you do everything you can to progress the franchise, just the same.
There are no exceptions. Wasting any year, like Pitt and Washington are doing right now, is inexcusable.

Yeah that's fine, as long as the team has the right goal in mind.

Completely agree. Crosby can still accumulate points at like 90% of his current level, especially if the other core/star hindrances are removed from the PP.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm gonna laugh for days when the team finally dumps Malkin off the powerplay and it still sucks ass.

I mean punish guys if you want. I don't care at this point. But that's all that is.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Legacy matters and I do care about it.

But the team has already fiddlefarted around way too long. I was happy at the attempt made this year but they look largely the exact same. I couldn't possibly speculate as to WHY... it's just a big old mystery. But at this point you better start having some very serious conversations with the core about this whole mess and how they feel about what should happen next and their place or non-place in that next phase.

That's the thing. This was legitimately about contending for about 3 years post-Cup then it has switched to "legacy servicing" ever since. If the team crashes out this year in the RS or the 1st round, talk to the core + Karlsson + Rust and inform them the rebuild is happening and they can either be a part of it or not. But we won't be pretending to contend and sacrificing assets on their behalf any more.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
To Calgary: Ryan Graves, Noel Acciari
To Pittsburgh: Huberdeau ($ 1 million retained), Dube (yes, knowing his situation full well).
Anything but this.

Yes would he be a buy low option. Sure.

The guy doesn't score goals and is a soft winger that we would pay 9.5 for another 7 years. Anything but this.

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
We're #7 in GA/G. #7 on the PK.
Graves is on pace for a +28. He's on pace to allow 35 fewer 5v5 goals than Dumoulin last year, in a similar role.
He's not the problem people claim he is. If he was, the defensive results would be worse. The goaltending numbers would be worse.

We don't need to blow up the defense. We need to trade Reilly Smith, since he's not feeling it here. And Malkin just needs to play better, straight up.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I’m just pissed the team got Erik Karlsson and just can’t use him offensively besides inflating xG even more. Where’s the rushes, dangles on the blue line? Boring ass shit, you can tell Tochett had a lot of influence on how those Cup teams played offensively.

his stick to itivness and his conscientious play on both sides of the puck is off the charts.

Plus Bryan Rust likes Mike Sullivan. Read the quotes from our impartial scribe Josh Yohe.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese