Salary Cap: Pens '23-'24 Salary Cap Thread: "Youth movement is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
strangelove.jpg

Repetitive conversations were prevalent when our team was good too. There's only so many topics to bring up for one hockey team.
Actually I'd say there's less to talk about when the team is doing well, cuz there's fewer problem areas.
The issue here now is that the Pens play is leading to apathy for the users. The more creative, vocal posters of the past are offering less, and steering convos in interesting directions less frequently. So the inmates are running the asylum in their stead, so to speak.

It's difficult to get excited for a team that will either scrape a 1st round entry and lose, or miss the playoffs altogether. That's especially true when the team is accomplishing nothing for the organization while doing so. This is not a case of a team on the rise, steadily progressing annually.
What they're doing right now is honoring the core and pretending to be something they're not.

That is what's draining. The futility of it. The falsity of it.

A lot of people claim that they are satisfied with the 3 Cups and will roll with whatever happens now. That's bullshit. If they were truly satisfied they'd be happy. They're not. They are very unhappy with current results, coaching and management.

Paying for a Ylonen type when you have guys in the minors you’ve never tried gives me Jim Rutherford asset management flashbacks.

There are just too many AHL guys who are AHL guys. Pens really have no one with a couple players who have the size, assets to be an NHL caliber roster player. Poulin, Pickering, maybe White in a limited role as 4th line center. I am hopeful the LD French Canadian from the juniors who has decent size and skill can develop. Dubas to me will consider the long term and short-term issues and Karlsson is in his prime here and has a 4-year contract remaining. That was a deal I was not 100% on board but still he can be a really good add. From Shero to Dubas, every GM was all in. Maybe dubas is now looking to the future as well. Pens need prospects, picks ect from here. If Sid retires after next year, the dump has to happen.

Why does he seem like a nothing player?

Also, the Penguins literally don't have any money, so any sort of "established" player is going to be extremely difficult to acquire.

Updates from Mike Sullivan: - Tristan Jarry starts in Nashville - Bryan Rust will be available after missing the last three games with a lower-body injury - P.O Joseph is taking part in the team's optional skate. He's been sidelined for 10 games with a nagging lower-body injury

I would still like to see Puusy get a cup of coffee with the team before moving assets.

Or I would like to see Gruden to be the 4th line center and move Accari to 3rd line RW. I think Gruden can be an effective 4th line center and Accari is better at wing.

Point is they should find out if these guys are worth keeping before moving assets.

Those two aren't competing for the same role. Puustinen is a top-6 injury replacement, while Ylonen is a bottom-6 scorer. Puustinen's competing for the role that Nylander is in right now.

There's no reason to say no to paying a modest price for proven assets (or more proven assets) just because you have other young guys in the organization who might (but probably won't) have the same impact if you give them a chance.

I mean, that's fair. I'm not on the Sullivan train by any stretch but I at least tip my hat him when they adjusted the system to provide additional NZ support. They we were winning IF we got the goaltending. When the roster is 100% healthy AND they execute and perform, it's a winning team. Keeping all of those things in check every single day is proving to be tough. Like I said, now that adjustments have been made and they still lose, that is shifting my blame to the players, primarily Jarry. As Emp has pointed out, with the lack of cap space and assets, you can only expect so much from the bottom 6.

Now if you want to suggest we fire Reirden and get a better PP coach just to see, then yes 100%, yes. Sullivan is a maybe and part of me is skeptical of available coaches being any better (again, that coming AFTER Sullivan made system changes that were more in line with team abilities. My criticism to him still remains "you don't have to ride stubborn decisions into the f***ing dirt before making a change".)

Yeah, that kind of puts it into perspective a bit. I will continue to knock Sullivan for Kapanen. Riding McGinn-Carter-Kapanen into the ground is a blemish on his coaching career. There were options available which turns out could have been "literally anything". I don't think Kapanen got the fair shake here but he obviously did himself no favors.

As I mentioned in previous posts I think anyone brought in will have been well-discussed and scouted by Dubas and Sullivan (and the staff) before a trade is made so I don't see issues with a potential "but Sullivan won't play him!".

I would worry more about HF making that statement after a period of time where he's sucked and been demoted. Maybe similar to a Harkins situation.

Puustinen needs to figure the AHL out at the moment. He's having a terrible year, unfortunately.

I am not disagreeing with your idea. I just think with injuries now is the time to see what you have in those guys. harkin and Nylander arent bringing anything. So sawp the forwards and see what you have. make the trade in couple weeks.

POJ cant be traded anyways since he is hurt.

Agreed but he has been picking up pace. 1 pt in his first 9 games. 6 in his last 6.

WBS has also been thrashed with injuries and call ups. This lineup is awful and Puustinen was number 2 start with 2 points. Gruden also had 2pts. I would like to see him get a chance on the 4th line soon.

View attachment 774484

View attachment 774492

Hopefully EK can stop this negative momentum lately with the poor defense, That pairing has been steadfast so far, as a whole.
Smith-Malkin-Rakell easily the most disappointing of all these combinations.

Perhaps Shea-Ludvig is a solution. Faced 2 strong teams. So far, so good.
I'd like to see our good L3 reunited today.

No idea why Hinostroza's getting HS'd, if he is tonight.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Darren McCord said:
Agreed but he has been picking up pace. 1 pt in his first 9 games. 6 in his last 6.

WBS has also been thrashed with injuries and call ups. This lineup is awful and Puustinen was number 2 start with 2 points. Gruden also had 2pts. I would like to see him get a chance on the 4th line soon.

View attachment 774484
I think that also speaks to "get put in the top 6, score like the top 6". Someone has to score.

I would say he needed to score in that 15 in 10gp rate to get a look. Unfortunately, we have Carter. And then we have Hinostranza who has been good and has a much broader NHL pedigree. You have an injury to Nylander or DOC, I can see him in. Or if Nylander under performs, maybe send him down and Puustinen up.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Fordy

May 28, 2008
we have no idea whether puustinen's flaws would be a factor at the nhl level in any number of potential roles because he's never been tried. every players has flaws and they present differently based on the level of play and the role they are placed in, same goes for their strengths. no one can claim to know how puustinen's assets and deficiencies would play out because he's never been tried. in the one game he played he seemed like a net positive. we could find out he sucks and move on from him finally, or we could find out eller and zohorna, much better players than he's lining up with in the ahl, are able to make up for his defensive liabilities and enable him to play his game in a way that boosts our production more than the f***ing jansen harkinses of the world ever will

there's no reason to rush out and acquire an outsider borderline guy when we haven't even attempted to use our own. but whatever, all our guys like zohorna suck and haven't "proven" themselves, let's keep running what we have and grabbing other teams' bargain bin guys

nylander and harkins have done jack shit. hino is not setting the world on fire. there's literally no reason not to try someone else

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Well Perry was cut by Chicago, poor man’s hornqvist that the pp is missing?

He can bring the jam on the third line… (insert Bedard’s mom joke). (insert joke about perry hearing puustinen’s nickname and rushing to call dubas)

before they sign him, make sure Jake’s mom isn’t hot.

but I’m only like 25% serious in my interest in taking him on a 1yr league min deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
League min, yes. At $4mil, we can't.
Wait, I missed for "contract termination".

Yes, if he wants to come here for league minimum, then yes I would take him. I can't think of a better possible 3RW than him at the moment.

Zohorna-Eller-Perry would be a bear of a 3rd line and Perry as a net front presence would be very helpful on the PP.

This comes with the disclaimer that I have no idea why he's being cast off so this is purely based on on-ice performance and 0% on anything that happened off the ice. That said...if we bring him in and him and Carter get into a fight...that could be a nice low-key, coy move by Dubas. Win-Win-Win.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I'm sure that Perry isn't being cut for hockey related reasons. I'd assume he isn't going to play hockey for a while either it's a personal issue or a legal issue

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Just speculating but maybe he signed that contract because they gave him an insane amount after he had several years playing for a million or less. Maybe he’s a negative influence to their young guys and he’s frustrated with the team he’s on knowing he’s closer to the end of his career.

Edit- similar to the Melvin Ingram and the Lagarette Blount signings for the Steelers both guys basically forced their way off the teams and signed immediately after due to not playing how they were expecting to be used.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Just speculating but maybe he signed that contract because they gave him an insane amount after he had several years playing for a million or less. Maybe he’s a negative influence to their young guys and he’s frustrated with the team he’s on knowing he’s closer to the end of his career.

Edit- similar to the Melvin Ingram and the Lagarette Blount signings for the Steelers both guys basically forced their way off the teams and signed immediately after due to not playing how they were expecting to be used.

His previous game, Perry was got 14 mins of ice time. I don't think that's the case

Reactions: Maninthebox87

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This team is so bad at finding diamonds in the rough it is amazing.
Ummmmmmmmmmmm...I'm not sure I totally agree with that.

ZAR, DOC, Marino, Shea, Sprong for Pettersson...we have a decent track record of it. Just as good, if not better than other teams.

If they could find the next Panarin hiding out in the KHL or other European league, that would be great.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
No on Perry. Rakell has to return at 100% and he makes that line work. Smith has been crap since he went out. But I move both up to Sid and cycle down low with some players who can handle physical in close play. I think extending Jake is a mistake at say 8 for 7. He has played with Sid and that is a unknown to me that he can do without him. Secondly, Since his shoulder injury he is no longer going to the net like he was before that. Look once Sid retire after next year, blow it up and move all these pieces anyway. Get a nice package for Jake and move on.

Reactions: Andy99

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Perry from a few years ago I'd be all over, but last year was too ugly to ignore. 25 points and -29 on the Lightning. That's -19 worse than the next regular on the team. Yikes.

He's been better this year considering his - is good for only 7th worst on the team, but what the f*** happened last year? And what's happening this year that he's getting terminated? And how'd he fit in a Mike Sullivan bottom 6? I don't know. Too many questions for him to maybe, possibly help the PP.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
we have no idea whether puustinen's flaws would be a factor at the nhl level in any number of potential roles because he's never been tried. every players has flaws and they present differently based on the level of play and the role they are placed in, same goes for their strengths. no one can claim to know how puustinen's assets and deficiencies would play out because he's never been tried. in the one game he played he seemed like a net positive. we could find out he sucks and move on from him finally, or we could find out eller and zohorna, much better players than he's lining up with in the ahl, are able to make up for his defensive liabilities and enable him to play his game in a way that boosts our production more than the f***ing jansen harkinses of the world ever will

there's no reason to rush out and acquire an outsider borderline guy when we haven't even attempted to use our own. but whatever, all our guys like zohorna suck and haven't "proven" themselves, let's keep running what we have and grabbing other teams' bargain bin guys

nylander and harkins have done jack shit. hino is not setting the world on fire. there's literally no reason not to try someone else

That's moronic. We can look at his reported strengths/weaknesses from his scouting report and easily conclude he won't work in that role.

Just like I don't want to play Smith with Karlsson, I can look at Puustinen and say "I don't want this guy anywhere even near a defensive focused line". There's a reason they haven't tried it: it's because it's a comically stupid idea.

Puustinen is a top-6 or bust guy. If they want to tell Nylander to piss off and try Puustinen in Nylander's spot, I'm all for that. If they want to play Puustinen in a bottom-6 role, going outside of the organization is a stupidly easy decision because nothing in Puustinen's game suggests he fits the role.

Your appeal to ignorance argument of "you can't say he wouldn't work there because he hasn't been tried" is just a fallacious argument.

Reactions: Headshot77

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022

BUTCHER ON WAIVERS​

The Penguins put defenseman Will Butcher on waivers at 2 p.m. Tuesday. If he clears he can be assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton at 2 p.m. on Wednesday.
Butcher signed a one-year, two-way deal worth the league-minimum $775,000 at the NHL level in the season. He was injured prior to training camp and has been on season-opening injured reserve since, because injured players cannot be re-assigned to the minors until healthy. Butcher going on waivers indicates that he's finally healthy.
Players on season-opening injured reserve do not count toward the salary cap — as opposed to how long-term injured reserve operates, where a team gets a new, temporary upper limit. Since Butcher never counted toward the cap, him clearing and being sent down will have no bearing on the Penguins’ salary cap situation.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Enough of the Perry rumor garbage. It’s been debunked by numerous sources, including the team. Any further posts about it will be given an infraction and a thread ban.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Ummmmmmmmmmmm...I'm not sure I totally agree with that.

ZAR, DOC, Marino, Shea, Sprong for Pettersson...we have a decent track record of it. Just as good, if not better than other teams.

If they could find the next Panarin hiding out in the KHL or other European league, that would be great.

Also it wasn't very long ago this team had a great track record when it came to rehabbing struggling defensemen. Schultz was basically our #1 dman during the 2017 run and what did we pay for him again, a 3rd?

Reactions: Extra Texture
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln