Salary Cap: Pens '23-'24 Salary Cap Thread: "Youth movement is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Pens should somehow get Lindholm to be Geno's C and help the PP, keep Guentzel, screw over Van.
I don't know if they could swing it with Lindholm, but regardless of who coaches this team or who is moved, the Pens should find a solid two-way center like Lindholm to play with Malkin.

Ease the burden on Malkin by moving him to wing. It's time.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don't know if they could swing it with Lindholm, but regardless of who coaches this team or who is moved, the Pens should find a solid two-way center like Lindholm to play with Malkin.

Ease the burden on Malkin by moving him to wing. It's time.
Yup. I thought it was time two years ago. It's staring you in the face now.

Reactions: molon labe

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I'd be interested in Lindholm, Duclair from SJ, Kubalik from Ottawa and Lyubushkin from Anaheim as potential adds. Lindholm would be the only one who costs much.

I'd prefer Duclair or someone similar over someone as streaky as Kubalik, but Kubalik would be a fallback option.

Move out Rakell, Smith and POJ, either as part of a deal or separately for assets.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Malkin-Lindholm-Duclair
Poulin-Eller-DOC
Nieto-Acciari-Puljujarvi
Carter

Pettersson-Letang
Lyubushkin-Karlsson
Graves-Ludvig
Ruhwedel

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah it isn't our current situation. The Caps don't hide the fact that they're trying to honor their core, and that they know they're toast. The Pens still pretend.
And that's a good point - I think they think they can still do it. It's hard to look at the roster and think they can't make a little noise. It's just that...it doesn't happen for them on some nights.

I’m just pissed the team got Erik Karlsson and just can’t use him offensively besides inflating xG even more. Where’s the rushes, dangles on the blue line? Boring ass shit, you can tell Tochett had a lot of influence on how those Cup teams played offensively.
There's a balance I think they need to maintain and EK is an interesting addition to the team. They can't run and gun anymore and they don't have the legs to support ultra-aggressive forechecks. They get eaten alive give up odd man rushes like crazy. So they opt for a passive forecheck and NZ support system which, in my estimation, has been the best they've looked in awhile. But what comes with that is a complete neutering of high-end offensive talent from the likes of EK.

At the end of the day, he's the one on the ice with the puck. If he thinks a rush up the ice is the best play, he could do it. Take your licks afterwards if you botch it but the decision is ultimately his.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It would be absurd if we didn't give SJS the pick this year.
Guarantee our 2025 1st has way higher value anyway, even in a trade, vs. the 14th overall.
If we finish below 10th they don’t get it anyway, or can we give them say 9th or 8th overall? Top 10 protected.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
And that's a good point - I think they think they can still do it. It's hard to look at the roster and think they can't make a little noise. It's just that...it doesn't happen for them on some nights.
I'll respect the optimism. I'm having a hard time getting there mentally, when watching this team. So many holes.
Beating Carolina, NYR or Boston 4 outta 7 seems like a mountainous task.

Reactions: SEALBound

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I'll respect the optimism. I'm having a hard time getting there mentally, when watching this team. So many holes.
Beating Carolina, NYR or Boston 4 outta 7 seems like a mountainous task.
No disagreement there. It's just the fact the Flyers and Caps are also in the mix, which irks me.

I hate how relatively beatable the East is, yet we can't do anything with it.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It would be absurd if we didn't give SJS the pick this year.
Guarantee our 2025 1st has way higher value anyway, even in a trade, vs. the 14th overall.
Yeah, I dunno if next year's pick is gonna be like a top-5 or anything but this team's not going to be getting better. They've been on a steady decline for more than half a decade and that ain't changing. :laugh:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
If we finish below 10th they don’t get it anyway, or can we give them say 9th or 8th overall? Top 10 protected.
I don't think you can give it

A "protected" pick just means there's a condition on the pick that if it ends up being in a certain slot, that pick is not traded. For example, if a first round pick is Top 10 Protected, it means that if the pick ends up being in the Top 10, that pick isn't traded, and instead a different pick is traded. The most common example would be that the first round pick the following year is traded instead.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jake to Vancouver rumors are very obvious given JR/Allvin/Sarge/Tocchet/Yeo/Boeser/Blueger/Lafferty/Cole as ties to the Pens for rumors being an easy target...

But a lot are saying "that young russian player" and it's like, Podkolzin? While that would be fine (I'd want another forward with him and a pick), the assumption is Sullivan would even use that player in a position to succeed. Like a Russian lad that would be better to start with Geno to feel comfortable would likely have Sullivan forcing him to Sid's line instead.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Yeah it isn't our current situation. The Caps don't hide the fact that they're trying to honor their core, and that they know they're toast. The Pens still pretend.
True, but they also were a little smarter than us when it came time to manage their assets going forward. They have drafted a lot more than us in the past 5 years for example while we were still giving away 2nd round picks for Granlunds of the world

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I'd be interested in Lindholm, Duclair from SJ, Kubalik from Ottawa and Lyubushkin from Anaheim as potential adds. Lindholm would be the only one who costs much.

I'd prefer Duclair or someone similar over someone as streaky as Kubalik, but Kubalik would be a fallback option.

Move out Rakell, Smith and POJ, either as part of a deal or separately for assets.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Malkin-Lindholm-Duclair
Poulin-Eller-DOC
Nieto-Acciari-Puljujarvi
Carter

Pettersson-Letang
Lyubushkin-Karlsson
Graves-Ludvig
Ruhwedel
I have no issues with those moves, everything done during the trade deadline, draft or summer though shouldn't cost us any assets. That's what I would do. We are in no position to trade any picks or prospects while trying to stock up for 2-3 years. Sign UFA players, even if it's for 1 season and then flip them for more assets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad