GDT: Pens 2024 Trade Deadline Thread: Jake Shake Talk here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think Koivunen could be better than Yager, but I'd definitely rank him above Pickering. Not so sure about that pick.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Apologies if this has been addressed before, but if the Pens do finish bottom 10, is it still at their discretion whether or not to turn their first rounder this year over to SJS? If it is, does anyone really think Dubas would turn it over with the thought being we'll be much worse next year?

Our understanding is that we can give it to SJS.

My bet would be on Dubas taking it if it is top 10.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Apologies if this has been addressed before, but if the Pens do finish bottom 10, is it still at their discretion whether or not to turn their first rounder this year over to SJS? If it is, does anyone really think Dubas would turn it over with the thought being we'll be much worse next year?
Dubas gets to make that choice yes, if it's top 10 I'd have to think he'd keep it.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Not sure if Yager or Koivunen will be ready.
Smith should be dealt for cap space to bring in some solid Dmen.

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Puustinen
O'Connor-Ponomarev-Bemstrom
Poulin-Eller-Acciari
Nieto Gruden Puljujarvi
I like the lack of Harkins, but Sully will politic for his boy to stay, he's the new Adams I've come to terms with it.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Our understanding is that we can give it to SJS.

My bet would be on Dubas taking it if it is top 10.
I think he'd keep it as well if it were top 10. I don't think he anticipates being a lottery team next year, even if that possibility seems a lot realer to us.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Is this the longest thread ever?
Not even top 10.

Not sure if Yager or Koivunen will be ready.
Smith should be dealt for cap space to bring in some solid Dmen.

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Puustinen
O'Connor-Ponomarev-Bemstrom
Poulin-Eller-Acciari
Nieto Gruden Puljujarvi
I think you'll see more changes and that multiple guys listed here won't be back.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
You love setting yourself up for disappointment.

Who is moving?
I think the following players are unlikely to be back next year, one way or another:
  • Reilly Smith. With Guentzel's retention off the books and Smith down to one year, it'll be easier to move him.
  • Jeff Carter. Won't be re-signed.
  • Lars Eller. Like Smith, he'll now be down to one year on his deal.
  • Emil Bemstrom. Unless he breaks out in the final 20 games, I don't think he'll be qualified as an RFA.
  • PO Joseph. I think they may swap his RFA rights for another RFA, perhaps a forward. Or they'll sign him to a simple deal but then trade him for another 23/24 year old in a similar situation.
  • Jansen Harkins. I don't think he'll be back as a UFA
I think it's possible, though less certain, that Rickard Rakell and Ryan Graves are moved, as well. They would be marginal cap dumps, though Rakell might bring back something of value. Rakell, in particular, only has an 8-team NTC, which leaves a large portion of the league as potential partners in a trade.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think the following players are unlikely to be back next year, one way or another:
  • Reilly Smith. With Guentzel's retention off the books and Smith down to one year, it'll be easier to move him.
  • Jeff Carter. Won't be re-signed.
  • Lars Eller. Like Smith, he'll now be down to one year on his deal.
  • Emil Bemstrom. Unless he breaks out in the final 20 games, I don't think he'll be qualified as an RFA.
  • PO Joseph. I think they may swap his RFA rights for another RFA, perhaps a forward. Or they'll sign him to a simple deal but then trade him for another 23/24 year old in a similar situation.
  • Jansen Harkins. I don't think he'll be back as a UFA
I think it's possible, though less certain, that Rickard Rakell and Ryan Graves are moved, as well. They would be marginal cap dumps, though Rakell might bring back something of value. Rakell, in particular, only has an 8-team NTC, which leaves a large portion of the league as potential partners in a trade.

I’ll hold my breath on Harkins and Carter.

I don’t see anyone paying us for Eller or Smith in the off season. I guess if Dubas wants to pay to move either, I could see it.

Rakell and Graves are immovable. Entertaining them being moved is hilarious unless Dubas does another EK65 deal where we are eating massive term on older players.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Stages of Grief.

Apparently this board is in the denial stage now.

Spoiler Alert: Next year except for a handful of players and long term contracts that we can not get rid of, the names on the jerseys will change but it will be the same players inside.

Because all of those remaining players on the oldest team in the NHL will be a year older. And the Pens have no assets worth anything in the minors to bring up.

Just so you know what to expect, anger is next.

The stages are denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

Some of us have already reached acceptance and are just waiting for the rest of you to catch up.

Are we still mad about not trading Smith and Eller 50% retained for two 5th rounders?
I'm still mad that the Beehive CoffeeHouse closed.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The Stages of Grief.

Spoiler Alert: Next year except for a handful of players and long term contracts that we can not get rid of, the names on the jerseys will change but it will be the same players inside.

Because all of those remaining players on the oldest team in the NHL will be a year older. And the Pens have no assets worth anything in the minors to bring up.

Some of us have already reached acceptance and are just waiting for the rest of you to catch up.

Kinda like how Puustinen was nothing, right?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The Stages of Grief.

I just don’t get why the people who have been calling for a rebuild for years are mad. If this thing is getting turned over then trading Guentzel and then waiting for the vets to have less term is the way to go. Now the team is probably going to suck ass until mid April and the team is gonna get a good pick. Anybody who is under contract is worth more in the offseason, it has always been this way.

Look, Tomas Hertl under contract and two 3rds got a next year 1st and prospect who isn’t any better than Koivunen. I mean.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I just don’t get why the people who have been calling for a rebuild for years are mad. If this thing is getting turned over then trading Guentzel and then waiting for the vets to have less term is the way to go. Now the team is probably going to suck ass until mid April and the team is gonna get a good pick. Anybody who is under contract is worth more in the offseason, it has always been this way.

Look, Tomas Hertl under contract and two 3rds got a next year 1st and prospect who isn’t any better than Koivunen. I mean.

Hertl is 30 and has no knees.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The conclusion anyone should come to from the Penguins fans reactions of the deadline is that fans are irrational and trying to understand it is a pointless exercise.

I saw a comment that summed it up perfectly: Penguins fans are mad that they didn't get a prospect they learned about 20 minutes ago.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm glad you added Coffee House, because my immediate reaction was "Beehive sounds like a white trash strip club in Blairsville" :laugh:
Loved that place.

So quirky. So completely 90s.

My girlfriend got totally drunk one Halloween. She always was a lightweight. And there was this guy passed out in a costume on the couch in front. She insisted that he was a mannequin in a costume set up as a prop. She bent over him and screamed 'Helllllloooooo. Are you real????' Over and over. Management didn't even bat an eye. Just said 'he's real lady'. Guy never even woke.

Different time that I miss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Empoleon8771

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I can’t be bothered.

The only thing that really matters is whether/when Sully is fired.
We might be an entirely different team if he is. If he is and we’re not, then you burn it all down.

Reactions: ZorkEnchanter

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The conclusion anyone should come to from the Penguins fans reactions of the deadline is that fans are irrational and trying to understand it is a pointless exercise.

I saw a comment that summed it up perfectly: Penguins fans are mad that they didn't get a prospect they learned about 20 minutes ago.

Says the guy who had 300 posts in the trade forum talking about 20 different prospects in the last 48 hours.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I can’t be bothered.

The only thing that really matters is whether/when Sully is fired.
We might be an entirely different team if he is. If he is and we’re not, then you burn it all down.
Firing Sully will make the core closer to late 20s than late 30s? Will put cheap young talent in the minors?

Replacing a coach matters when you are wasting prime years of a talented roster.

Replacing a coach matters when you are wasting the development of a roster talented promising young players.

This seventh circle of hell of pretending to contend to continue to sell tickets while doing nothing toward the future?

Who cares who the coach is?

Face the reality. The team is telling us to spin our wheels like a hamster on a wheel for two to three years before they begin a tear down and rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad