GDT: Pens 2024 Trade Deadline Thread: Jake Shake Talk here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I can see it now, we'll bring in a new coach, a shiny new toy, a new voice, and two weeks later half of this board will want him fired as he starts off 2-6. l:laugh:

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Firing Sully will make the core closer to late 20s than late 30s? Will put cheap young talent in the minors?

Replacing a coach matters when you are wasting prime years of a talented roster.

Replacing a coach matters when you are wasting the development of a roster talented promising young players.

This seventh circle of hell of pretending to contend to continue to sell tickets while doing nothing toward the future?

Who cares who the coach is?

Face the reality. The team is telling us to spin our wheels like a hamster on a wheel for two to three years before they begin a tear down and rebuild.

I disagree. It matters enormously who the coach is.
Our three cups all came on the back of firing a coach when we were on the outside looking in. That’s how much it mattered.

And when we are to introduce youth I certainly don’t want a guy who has not seen any such improve since Guentzel.

Beyond that, you either try to be as competitive as you can (with a re-tool )or you try to convince Sid and Geno to leave also, retain on Karlsson etc. I am not asking those guys to be here for a rebuild they won’t see the end of.

NB: It would have been nice to get something for Smith now to open more cap-room, but if he also really wants to leave in the Summer, it can probably be figured out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Of course they'll be a cap team, no argument whatsoever. But when your core is as old as their's is with no apparent supporting cast because our prospect pool was gutted or non existent, You'll largely be towards the bottom. that's what happens.

And bring in who?

We will see what happens. I’m not as convinced as you are that we will be towards the bottom.

Honestly, I think moving Guentzel will be in the long term successful for the current roster as it forces the coach to be imaginative with the roster.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I don’t understand why people are so hard on the core. All of Malkin, Crosby, Letang and Karlsson are playing above value this year.
Karlsson is the highest paid defender in the league, fifth highest paid player overall, and he and Doughty are the only two blue liners in the 12 highest paid . Maybe my expectations for Karlsson were ill-defined and/or unrealistic, but I can't conceive of how dude possibly qualifies as a high value, relative to his salary, player? Maybe this is another advanced analytic I don't understand?

Ok. Pens trivia night for everyone still scrolling thru this despair: other than Jansen Harkins, name the two other Pens players who have played 40+ games for the Pens without scoring a goal…and no Googling
Well, it ain't Jarry...

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
And bring in who?
Jeff Halpern, coach of the No. 1 power play in the league.

Halpern has gotten Tampa's stars on the same page consistently over the last several years. Yes, Kucherov is having a phenomenal season, but the structure and design is effective, too.

He's detailed and smart.

He's my top choice to replace Sullivan.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Jeff Carter is still here hah.

1709958734348.png

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Seems like he's our #2 prospect at this point honestly.
I'm no scout, but I like him more than Pickering, that's for sure. I'm hopeful for Blomqvist, who seems to be doing really well, but projecting goalie potential is like theoretical physics to me.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
I know you're just trying to rile up people here, honestly don't you ever get bored of being just another PensX wannabe? Or another way to put it, "a light beer PensX"?

I honestly don't care, do whatever you want, but it really seems like this team makes you angrier than any amount of joy it brings. Why continue to follow it if it makes you so bitter?
Some people just love to parade around here and give vague platitudes about how they'd improve the team, starting with trading a 1st for Gibson lol

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Some nice moves but I don't see a lot of traffic around him. Almost none tbh. Not going to be that way in this league or in the A.
Wow! no traffic? Thats what you derived from that? What about his hands, vision and release? It's a shame you can't even enjoy a montage without seeing negative signs, damn!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seems like he's our #2 prospect at this point honestly.

Yeah I think he's closer to Pickering than he is to Yager, but I'd put him at #2. I think he has Jussi Jokinen type of top-6 upside.

I think I'd put Koivunen at #2 (after Yager) and Ponomarev at #5 (after Pickering and Blomqvist). With Lucius, I want to wait until next year to get a firm idea on where I'd put him as a prospect. It's not uncommon for guys to really explode as juniors, and Lucius having a big junior year vs a mediocre junior year would have a huge impact on how I view him.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm no scout, but I like him more than Pickering, that's for sure. I'm hopeful for Blomqvist, who seems to be doing really well, but projecting goalie potential is like theoretical physics to me.

I think Pickering is much more of a lock to be an NHLer.

The thing with Koivunen is a lot of his potential is going to need to be developed by the team internally.

Do we trust this organization with him? I dunno. They seem to have a decent job with Puustinen who is a much worse version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino