Post-Game Talk: Pens 2 Preds 0|So Long and Thanks For All the Fish|Pens Win Stanley Cup 4-2|Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I feel the total opposite, this is the sweetest win for me. The amount of adversity they had to overcome, Fleury's last hurrah, the drama of Game 7 double OT, etc. Amazing.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I feel the total opposite, this is the sweetest win for me. The amount of adversity they had to overcome, Fleury's last hurrah, the drama of Game 7 double OT, etc. Amazing.

I'm with you. Last year's team was a machine and just dismantled everyone from January on, plus they were more or less healthy. This team did what I thought impossible, they won a back to back without Letang and with so many banged up players.

The only thing putting a little tarnish on this for me is knowing that MAF will soon be gone and seeing all the sad interviews about it with the team. It's the right decision for the team, no question, but he's been my favorite player for over a decade and I'll always have a soft spot for him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Don't worry.. I have some great thread ideas when it slows down mid July that will include this discussion. :)

Oddfello

Jimmy Montrose
Mar 15, 2013
Pittsburgh
They've been replaying each game of our run on NHL network this past week...

We've had a lot of impressive wins during this run , but the biggest one was game 4 against the caps without Crosby and Sheary.

We lose that and its tied up at 2 with home ice going back to the caps. Once again the team comes thru.

Watching this game right now. MAF had some amazing lateral movement the entire series, but really stood on his head at times in this one. Also, for added entertainment I have been watching these games and following along in opponent's game threads. But maybe that's just me.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Yeah, all logic says they shouldn't have won this year and they still did. No one has repeated in the cap era, Daley and Maatta came back right before the playoffs, Letang is out, Murray is out right before game 1, Columbus was supposed to be a top team, they have to go through a stacked Washington team, Crosby goes down with a concussion against Washington, game 7 against Washington, Schultz goes down against Ottawa, double OT in game 7 against Ottawa, Nashville is supposed to curbstomp them. Half dead Penguins team wins the cup with two shutouts to end it. The defense should have folded and it didn't; they looked like they were out of gas multiple times and weren't; it looked like injuries would end them and they didn't.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, this is probably the most improbable run. From no Letang for months, to Murray tearing (holy **** :amazed:) his hamstring in game 1 of the playoffs, so having the hardest route (Columbus with 108 points in the first round, Washington with 118 points in the second round) to the Cup. Sid getting crosschecked in the face and being diagnosed with a concussion.

Just an unreal run. People talk about Ovechkin "deserves" a Cup, but this team really did deserve it for all they worked through.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Watching this game right now. MAF had some amazing lateral movement the entire series, but really stood on his head at times in this one. Also, for added entertainment I have been watching these games and following along in opponent's game threads. But maybe that's just me.

Also the game with the "high stick" on Bonino where everyone was outraged and ready to have Bones suspended until someone posted video of Oshie doing the exact same thing last year, faking a high stick from Bonino.

9XgmZFx.png

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

And now game 7 starting. Caps fans start off the game chanting " Fleury ". Everyone pumped to start the game. Having no idea what's about to come :laugh:

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
The no goal call was absolutely the right call. The whistle created that "goal." The guy who "scored" it was boxed out until the whistle blew. He couldn't get to it until play stopped and the defense stopped playing.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
I still have not fully accepted that we won 2 Cups in a row. Phil Kessel is a two time Cup champ that may never fully sink in. :laugh:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I dont really agree with Saku11 a few pages back.

If NSH wanted to win the Cup, win a game in PIT to put pressure on them.
They got swamped in G5.
Championship teams survive hardships like an early 2nd period quick whistle no goal call of a must win game.
I tend to look at the bigger picture. NSH only has themselves to blame after having 3 opportunities to beat PIT in PIT and several opportunities post the no goal call to tie up the game.

Doesnt taint anything for me.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The reason that type of early whistle cannot be undone is because it may impact the rest of the play...in this case, the Pens' defender (I think it was Maatta) stopped. If the whistle hadn't blown, would the Preds' player have had that easy of a goal? If the whistle hadn't blown, would the Pens have challenged for goalie interference? If the goal had counted, would the Pens have actually gotten some powerplays that they'd have scored on? If the goal had counted, would the Preds still have lost in overtime??

Yes, the call was bad, but the refs tried to more than make up for it, and Nashville didn't take advantage. Sorry not sorry.

Not tainted even in the slightest. Not even in the slightest. If you feel that way, oh well. Refs forced powerplay after powerplay to help Nashville. If anything - THAT was tainted.

These two posts sum it up for me.

When the whistle blows, the play is dead 100% of the time. There is no grey area. It happens countless times during the season that a whistle blows and the goalie isn't in control of the puck.

Like others have said, the Preds made their bed by running goalies all playoffs. If they don't want to have to deal with quick whistles, they should change their strategy.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

As I said before, this year's Cup win was sweeter *after the fact*. But I didn't have much fun watching these playoffs nearly as much as I did last year's because of how dominant last year's team was.

So if I had to rank them for entertainment factor/enjoyment, it would be:
During the playoffs - 2016 > 2017
After the Cup was officially won - 2017 > 2016

Sty1877

Mar 21, 2010
These two posts sum it up for me.

When the whistle blows, the play is dead 100% of the time. There is no grey area. It happens countless times during the season that a whistle blows and the goalie isn't in control of the puck.

Like others have said, the Preds made their bed by running goalies all playoffs. If they don't want to have to deal with quick whistles, they should change their strategy.

The makeups calls, especially the call on Daley to put them up 5 on 3 in a SCF game for what amount to as basically roughing, makes up for it more than anything. 4 powerplays vs 0.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
The makeups calls, especially the call on Daley to put them up 5 on 3 in a SCF game for what amount to as basically roughing, makes up for it more than anything. 4 powerplays vs 0.

Exactly.

For those that were saying the resulting 4-0 disparity in what was called was "not enough" or of no significance, can you imagine if the reserve happened. If we had the 4-0 ppl chances?!?!

Good Lord.......

Another Bandwagoner

Mar 2, 2015
By far the most resilient, ridiculous run I believe I'll ever see >>>>>>. The belief that the entire team had, especially Sid, was amazing.
I'm still stuck in disbelief that they actually pulled it off. After seeing the cup change hands during the season, from CBJ, to Caps to Preds in the playoffs, and then the Pens defeated them all lol :yo:
What a great team, just kept going against all odds. If other fans could be fair they'd acknowledge that refs had nothing to do with it and that nothing could diminish what the '16-'17 Pens have overcome and accomplished.
Kudos to the entire org :handclap:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

That was one of the more laughable things some Nashville fans kept going on about.

"NOTHING makes up for that disallowed goal!"

Really? I still like the Pens chances if the opposite happened -- they allowed the goal, but the Pens were the ones who got 4 PPs and could do whatever the hell they wanted the rest of the game.

The refs basically being on your side for almost 40 minutes in a 0-0 should be more than enough to offset a goal being disallowed.

If you suck so much offensively that ONE FREAKING GOAL BEING DISALLOWED loses you the game, despite countless PP opportunities, and despite the refs letting you get away with murder, then you don't deserve to win. Period.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Yup.

Adversity takes many forms. Winners find ways to overcome it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That was one of the more laughable things some Nashville fans kept going on about.

"NOTHING makes up for that disallowed goal!"

Really? I still like the Pens chances if the opposite happened -- they allowed the goal, but the Pens were the ones who got 4 PPs and could do whatever the hell they wanted the rest of the game.

The refs basically being on your side for almost 40 minutes in a 0-0 should be more than enough to offset a goal being disallowed.

If you suck so much offensively that ONE FREAKING GOAL BEING DISALLOWED loses you the game, despite countless PP opportunities, and despite the refs letting you get away with murder, then you don't deserve to win. Period.

They didn't score the last 123 minutes on a team missing it's #1 blueliner. I mean cmon...

It's easier to blame the refs, Bettman and his sidekick the Boogeyman, than your favorite players.

Guess how many times the Pens got shutout these playoffs...

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
That's how it is when you're the best of the best of the best: everyone wants to hire your assistants away.

At lower levels, everyone would want to hire your head coaches away, too, so it could definitely be worse.

Imagine if that was a thing here...i'd be so pissed if MS left to another team after back to back cups. But i'm sure Pens would throw everything at him to stay.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I dont really agree with Saku11 a few pages back.

If NSH wanted to win the Cup, win a game in PIT to put pressure on them.
They got swamped in G5.
Championship teams survive hardships like an early 2nd period quick whistle no goal call of a must win game.
I tend to look at the bigger picture. NSH only has themselves to blame after having 3 opportunities to beat PIT in PIT and several opportunities post the no goal call to tie up the game.

Doesnt taint anything for me.

Agreed with all. Again I'll say it, I don't view anything from this run as "tainted."

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Agreed with all. Again I'll say it, I don't view anything from this run as "tainted."

It's not.

Any talk of the win being tainted is just sour grapes from fans of inadequate teams.

Any Pens fan who actually enjoys the win less or agrees that it was in any way illegitimate has one hell of an inferiority complex.

Every single Stanley Cup run has involved some lucky call or fortunate circumstance, but I can't think of many that involved overcoming more adversity than the one we just experienced.

We're the best, haters keep on sucking those lemons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad