Post-Game Talk: Pens 2 Preds 0|So Long and Thanks For All the Fish|Pens Win Stanley Cup 4-2|Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Just watched all access and man I got teary eyed. Seeing all that enjoyment on the players faces was so beautiful. Then seeing some preds players crying really shows you what this means to the players. Mad respect for their team and everything they were able to do

maxmn

Feb 16, 2013
I'd feel bad for the Preds if they hadn't spent the series running Murray, hadn't gotten away with so much ****, hadn't gotten that ******** PP crapfest in game 6 and if their fans hadn't been constantly throwing catfish with out any consequences. It's ****ing karma that the ref made a mistake they've made many a time before.

R/hockey and r/Penguins have posts with links, sorting by new they're currently on the first page of both. I'm going to assume that I can't post that link but if people can't find it PM me.

That episode really drove home home some coaches feed into **** they shouldn't be with the players and then the refs did the same thing. It makes some of the woe is me folding you'll see after they don't get the calls they want make more sense.

The Flyers were penalized for fans throwing debris on the ice. Why was it ok to penalize Philly but not Nashville? I think the Reffing was bad. Against the Pens. How many hits do they get at the Pens goalie? And..as mentioned...every player stopped at the whistle. except one. That's not a scandal. It's the media making up crap..Like they do. Rules are rules. Whistles get blown all game. Not the pens fault some idiot player thinks he can ignore the whistle. Nashville got away with far to much. I'm annoyed they were allowed to throw debris on the ice and no penalties called.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Kinda interesting that Kessel actually had one more point this year than last, but he was obviously much better last playoffs. Or maybe we're giving him too little credit for this years playoffs.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Kinda interesting that Kessel actually had one more point this year than last, but he was obviously much better last playoffs. Or maybe we're giving him too little credit for this years playoffs.

As you point out, Kessel was third in the NHL in scoring in the playoffs with 8 goals and 15 assists.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...mesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,gamesPlayed

Kessel had 10 goals and 12 assists for 22 points last year.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...mesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,gamesPlayed

He was not part of the whole HBK story this go round, but I am not sure what more you could expect of him. All the attention that line got last year likely is why it seemed that he flew under the radar this year.

As you point out, he actually had one more point that last year. And everyone had their minutes reduced this year having played more hockey in a one year period than any team in NHL history.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
As you point out, Kessel was third in the NHL in scoring in the playoffs with 8 goals and 15 assists.

Kessel had 10 goals and 12 assists for 22 points last year.

He was not part of the whole HBK story this go round, but I am not sure what more you could expect of him. All the attention that line got last year likely is why it seemed that he flew under the radar this year.

As you point out, he actually had one more point that last year. And everyone had their minutes reduced this year having played more hockey in a one year period than any team in NHL history.

Yeah I think he's probably not getting enough credit. Despite all our complaints about his lines ability to tilt the ice he still found a way all playoffs to score or setup goals.

mrwirez

Apr 17, 2017
Pitt
I dont really agree with Saku11 a few pages back.

If NSH wanted to win the Cup, win a game in PIT to put pressure on them.
They got swamped in G5.
Championship teams survive hardships like an early 2nd period quick whistle no goal call of a must win game.
I tend to look at the bigger picture. NSH only has themselves to blame after having 3 opportunities to beat PIT in PIT and several opportunities post the no goal call to tie up the game.

Doesnt taint anything for me.

I agree, there's nothing tainted about "how" the Penguins won the Cup again this year. In fact, I'd argue that what they overcame with injuries and whatnot made it a much more special victory.

As far as Nashville fans go with the whistle and ref whining, I'll just say this...

Giving up 15 goals in 3 road games AND getting shut out in game five 0-6 and then again in game six AT HOME, is a NOT a real winning formula if you want to hoist the Stanley Cup at series end. The early whistle negating 1 goal did not cause the Predators to lose.. That's on the Preds players (& Matt Murray). :handclap:

One last thing about NV that bothers me is their fans throwing crap on the ice. That's not cool. The catfish was bad enough, but the stuff after the game is just unacceptable in sports.

Thank You Pens!

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016

I think its fair to say he was better last year. Not that he was awful this year, but last year he had close to 100 shots in the post-season. He was a man on a mission. Although part of that could just be no Letang this time around.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Kessel had a lot of great shots not go in this year... Its easy to focus on his flaws when he isnt scoring, but a guy like him automatically takes some focus off of Malkin and Crosby whether he is scoring or not...

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Any talk of the win being tainted is just sour grapes from fans of inadequate teams.

Every single Stanley Cup run has involved some lucky call or fortunate circumstance, but I can't think of many that involved overcoming more adversity than the one we just experienced.

We're the best, haters keep on sucking those lemons.

Yep. Let the haters hate!

Any Cup champ, doesn't matter who, doesn't matter when, had a tremendous amount of luck throughout their run. Hell, you can say that about sports championships at pretty much any level. NV fans and Pens haters are simply BEYOND mad, and I love it!

I agree, there's nothing tainted about "how" the Penguins won the Cup again this year. In fact, I'd argue that what they overcame with injuries and whatnot made it a much more special victory.

As far as Nashville fans go with the whistle and ref whining, I'll just say this...

Giving up 15 goals in 3 road games AND getting shut out in game five 0-6 and then again in game six AT HOME, is a NOT a real winning formula if you want to hoist the Stanley Cup at series end. The early whistle negating 1 goal did not cause the Predators to lose.. That's on the Preds players (& Matt Murray). :handclap:

One last thing about NV that bothers me is their fans throwing crap on the ice. That's not cool. The catfish was bad enough, but the stuff after the game is just unacceptable in sports.

Thank You Pens!

Preds have no one to blame except themselves. Did the quick whistle hurt them? Yes. But they can cite those stats you posted. Not exactly the type of things you want to see in a playoff series, let alone the SCF if you're planning on winning.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So 5 of 8 goals. That may be why it seemed like he was less involved as well. But mostly HBK was THE story last year, and the Kessel redemption. This year he flew under the radar which I suspect he prefers.

last year was 5 of 10 on the PP. Same total of PPP both years. So he actually had an extra ES point this year, but it was 3 more assists and 2 less goals at ES. He tied for 1st in playoff PPP both years.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Just watched all access and man I got teary eyed. Seeing all that enjoyment on the players faces was so beautiful. Then seeing some preds players crying really shows you what this means to the players. Mad respect for their team and everything they were able to do

Sullivan with his typical .. " why do you have to get into the bull ****? For **** sake"..comments. :laugh: can't ask for a better coach

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Game 2 on NHL-N... TOTALLY missed Subban's 2x forearm shiver to Sid in one play directly before they got a freakin 5 on 3. Was in class for the beginning of that game and missed the first period - they never showed replays during the intermission. Think they kept showing Carrie Underwood...

3 minutes prior to that, Cullen was blatantly boarded with no call.

My God what an awful bias against the Pens this year. Chalk that up under the overcoming all odds tally-sheet. The refs were by far and away against the Pens getting anywhere from the Columbus series on. I feel it was almost a karma situation that the Preds got screwed with a goal in the deciding game. Gary's face when he knew it wasn't going 7 games was near crying-Jordan levels of sad.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
So I spent the weekend rewatching several of the games they had on NHL network...

With the benefit of not having to follow the play since i knew how it played out, I got to see a lot I missed the first time through...
I was amazed how badly The sens, in particular, were interfering away from the puck... I mean every team is interfereing these days, but they had a hold of everyone and the hooks and pitchforks on guys were absurd...

Since you figure most of the behind the play action wasnt caught on tape it was probably a lot worse than that... Thats the stuff the NHL cant let come back... just cannot do it...

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Hey, folks... Friendly reminder to not use this thread (or the forum) to share illegal links/streams. It's prohibited.

Thanks!

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Game 2 on NHL-N... TOTALLY missed Subban's 2x forearm shiver to Sid in one play directly before they got a freakin 5 on 3. Was in class for the beginning of that game and missed the first period - they never showed replays during the intermission. Think they kept showing Carrie Underwood...

3 minutes prior to that, Cullen was blatantly boarded with no call.

My God what an awful bias against the Pens this year. Chalk that up under the overcoming all odds tally-sheet. The refs were by far and away against the Pens getting anywhere from the Columbus series on. I feel it was almost a karma situation that the Preds got screwed with a goal in the deciding game. Gary's face when he knew it wasn't going 7 games was near crying-Jordan levels of sad.

If I had any video editing skills I would love to go through every.single.game and make a highlight video of all of these. Even the casual interference as noted below. Again, I'm not claiming that the Pens played penalty-free hockey, but the ratio of missed calls always favors our opponents by like a 3-1 margin or greater. Obstruction and cheap shots ends up becoming the de facto strategy of the opposition.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
If I had any video editing skills I would love to go through every.single.game and make a highlight video of all of these. Even the casual interference as noted below. Again, I'm not claiming that the Pens played penalty-free hockey, but the ratio of missed calls always favors our opponents by like a 3-1 margin or greater. Obstruction and cheap shots ends up becoming the de facto strategy of the opposition.

I totally blame the Flyer narratives for all of this... from the Crosby is a diver/ whiner to the pens are dirty but get all the calls... this originally started with their fans and has permeated the perspective of so many...

then to top it off they really pushed and still push the concept that dirty play is how to beat the Pens and its ok cause thats how the Pens play...

and if you don't think refs let stuff go cause they don't want to look like they favor the pens over that narrative you are fooling yourself....

That franchise is such a blight...

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
Is it available online anywhere?

I didn't find it anywhere except on Showtime. There's 1 episode from Season 1 on YouTube but you presumably want Season 2 for this year's playoffs.

Obviously, if you already subscribe to Showtime you should be able to watch (I watched on my laptop using my FIOS login info) but you could also spring for a standalone subscription to Showtime (which would also let you watch the new Twin Peaks which I'm finding really awesome, if somewhat bizarre, so far). Not sure how much that would cost but afaik you could have that for 1 month (or maybe even a free 1 month trial), binge watch whatever you want, then cancel if you think you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad