Post-Game Talk: Pens 2 Preds 0|So Long and Thanks For All the Fish|Pens Win Stanley Cup 4-2|Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If a really crap call in the final is unusual enough to cast that much of a pall on things, NHL refs are a lot better than people give them credit for.

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
NHL refs are a lot better than people give them credit for.
They absolutely are and you dont see me whining about the refs very often.Waay to much crying about the refs in these playoffs, really wasnt that bad as a whole.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Like i said a win is a win, but to me that moment really killed the game.There was no other choice because the rule clearly states when the whistle blows the game is stopped, but still..kind of ruined the whole game for me. You dont wanna see that type of mistake in Stanley Cup finals ever. We have three great wins now in the Sid era and this was to me easily the least enjoyable and the no goal call was a large reason for me. Im far from the worst whiners about reffing , believe me, but that call was terrible.

Riptide was right in his observation that the Preds constantly running the goalie after whistles had a lot to do with the quick whistles in the series.

And it's not like it mattered, the Pens would have killed the Preds in Pittsburgh playing on actual ice and not that slush they have in Nashville.

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
A win is a win, but even as a Penguins fan you gotta admit the no-goal call was shameful and that way this up win was easily the lamest of the Sid era.

The reason that type of early whistle cannot be undone is because it may impact the rest of the play...in this case, the Pens' defender (I think it was Maatta) stopped. If the whistle hadn't blown, would the Preds' player have had that easy of a goal? If the whistle hadn't blown, would the Pens have challenged for goalie interference? If the goal had counted, would the Pens have actually gotten some powerplays that they'd have scored on? If the goal had counted, would the Preds still have lost in overtime??

Yes, the call was bad, but the refs tried to more than make up for it, and Nashville didn't take advantage. Sorry not sorry.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'd feel bad for the Preds if they hadn't spent the series running Murray, hadn't gotten away with so much ****, hadn't gotten that ******** PP crapfest in game 6 and if their fans hadn't been constantly throwing catfish with out any consequences. It's ****ing karma that the ref made a mistake they've made many a time before.

anywhere to watch the quest for the cup online? not on showtime?

R/hockey and r/Penguins have posts with links, sorting by new they're currently on the first page of both. I'm going to assume that I can't post that link but if people can't find it PM me.

That episode really drove home home some coaches feed into **** they shouldn't be with the players and then the refs did the same thing. It makes some of the woe is me folding you'll see after they don't get the calls they want make more sense.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Like i said a win is a win, but to me that moment really killed the game.There was no other choice because the rule clearly states when the whistle blows the game is stopped, but still..kind of ruined the whole game for me. You dont wanna see that type of mistake in Stanley Cup finals ever. We have three great wins now in the Sid era and this was to me easily the least enjoyable and the no goal call was a large reason for me. Im far from the worst whiners about reffing , believe me, but that call was terrible.

If it was the right call by the book, then it wasn't all that terrible. Was it a bad break, absolutely, but if you think there is anything shameful to what the Pens did in that game or in the playoffs or that it is at all tainted by that whistle, you're way off.

I'll remember that game for Murrays performance and killing off a 5 on 3 in the third period of a scoreless game and Horns being Horns and finding a way to work one in. Anyone hoping this win has somehow been tainted or lessened for Pens fans will be sorely disappointed.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
yep. whine all you want but a lot of new hockey fans were made

agreed. I still enjoy making fun of them though. Not because there's anything wrong with celebrity fans (I think it's great) but because who doesn't love poking fun of country stars?

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
Was it a bad break, absolutely, but if you think there is anything shameful to what the Pens did in that game or in the playoffs or that it is at all tainted by that whistle, you're way off.
Nothing shameful by the Pens, but by the refs however absolutely.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
They've been replaying each game of our run on NHL network this past week...

We've had a lot of impressive wins during this run , but the biggest one was game 4 against the caps without Crosby and Sheary.

We lose that and its tied up at 2 with home ice going back to the caps. Once again the team comes thru.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
They've been replaying each game of our run on NHL network this past week...

We've had a lot of impressive wins during this run , but the biggest one was game 4 against the caps without Crosby and Sheary.

We lose that and its tied up at 2 with home ice going back to the caps. Once again the team comes thru.

Yep for sure. This is fun to rewatch all the wins. I watched Game 1 of the Caps series yesterday. :laugh:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yes they do and all im saying it tainted the win a bit to me you dont heve to agree

Not tainted even in the slightest. Not even in the slightest. If you feel that way, oh well. Refs forced powerplay after powerplay to help Nashville. If anything - THAT was tainted.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Yes they do and all im saying it tainted the win a bit to me you dont heve to agree

I don't think you're going to find much agreement here if that's what you're looking for.

There was a lot of game left to be played. If the refs don't blow that whistle early there then penalties likely don't end up 4-0 in favor of the Preds, and the Pens were a lot better on the power play than the Preds. And with how abysmal Rinne was in PIttsburgh I don't see how anyone could possibly say that goal cost Nashville the series even if there would have been a game 7.

It is what it is. I don't enjoy the celebration one iota less and if fans of other teams want to try to put an asterisk on it that's their business. I can honestly say I don't care at all.

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
Not tainted even in the slightest. Not even in the slightest. If you feel that way, oh well. Refs forced powerplay after powerplay to help Nashville. If anything - THAT was tainted.

Yeah i guess is a personal preference thing. 09 and 16 wins were better to me. Thats all im saying, surprised by the strong reactions by my post. Penguins are 100% deserving Cup winners dont get me wrong, but the way the win happened is wayyy worse than the previous times.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah i guess is a personal preference thing. 09 and 16 wins were better to me. Thats all im saying, surprised by the strong reactions by my post. Penguins are 100% deserving Cup winners dont get me wrong, but the way the win happened is wayyy worse than the previous times.

Yeah I just think Nashville wasn't going to beat us in that game. Even if the goal counted. They needed every bounce to go their way, every call to go their way, and still were not favored.

I thought the calls went both ways. Refs put their whistles away for Nashville. Did we really play against a team that took ZERO infractions in Game 6? Against our speed? I doubt it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The Cup in '09 was less tainted than this one? Lidstrom and Datsyuk were playing with serious injuries that had 'em probably going at 60% capability. I'm surprised that's not a tainted Cup win. :laugh:

The quick whistle was ****. I'd have been livid if it went against the Pens. But that's hockey. The officials are horrendous, night in and night out, all across the league. You're looking at 21 (or more) periods in a full 7-game series, with 20 minutes per period. If one blown call is enough to shatter your Cup chances, you're probably not exactly very deserving of the Cup anyway. Same would go for the Penguins if the roles were reversed.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The Cup in '09 was less tainted than this one? Lidstrom and Datsyuk were playing with serious injuries that had 'em probably going at 60% capability. I'm surprised that's not a tainted Cup win. :laugh:

The quick whistle was ****. I'd have been livid if it went against the Pens. But that's hockey. The officials are horrendous, night in and night out, all across the league. You're looking at 21 (or more) periods in a full 7-game series, with 20 minutes per period. If one blown call is enough to shatter your Cup chances, you're probably not exactly very deserving of the Cup anyway. Same would go for the Penguins if the roles were reversed.

I'd also be livid if the Pens had those PP opportunities and couldn't score.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'd also be livid if the Pens had those PP opportunities and couldn't score.

I said something similar after the game. If you get a 5-on-3 in the 3rd period of a Cup clinching game, you'd better score. If you don't you don't get to blame a bad call for losing, you need to put equal blame on your team.

The refs did everything they could to give that goal back to the Preds and they still couldn't score. That's after they got shut out the entire previous game.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I can't get over how impressive this was. I just did some quick searches, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

This run, the Pens beat 2 Vezina winners and a 3 time Vezina finalist, while leading the league with 3.08 goals per game.

Additionally

Torts - 1 Jack Adams, 4 or 5 times a finalist
Lavi - 2 time Jack Adams finalist
Trotz - 1 Jack Adams, 2 times a finalist

Well done, Sully.

Definitely. Truly impressive. Love that our boys made all these "unbeatable" goalies look like the average NHL backup.

but to hell with country music and all the celebrity praising and fake celebrity fans. That got real annoying, real quick.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the things that happened in Nashville these playoffs. When that idiot (Underwood) said "When the Preds win blah blah blah", I just chuckled, cause I knew :laugh:.

This is huge, and indicative of the culture shift Sullivan brought. I will never forget last season when Sully screamed at Malkin on the bench for jawing at the refs. It made me feel like adults were in charge from that point forward.

A-friggin-men. I was so disgusted at times during the Bylsma era for that crap alone.

A win is a win, but even as a Penguins fan you gotta admit the no-goal call was shameful and that way this up win was easily the lamest of the Sid era.

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Yep for sure. This is fun to rewatch all the wins. I watched Game 1 of the Caps series yesterday. :laugh:

Still don't know how we survived that game. 3-2 for the whole second half of the game and Fleury stood on his head. Double minor with 2 mins left in the 2nd. Killed it off.

Fleury was huge for us in that whole series but without that game we may have not have advanced.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
anyone that thinks pulling out 32 playoff wins in 2 seasons is tainted is just kidding themselves and has a losers mentality to begin with. You think Rangers, Capitals or Flyers fans wouldn't sign up for a so called 'tainted" cup win at this point? They'd be fighting to be first in line.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008

I mostly agree with this except that a lot of the series are very close and a blown call can definitely be the difference maker (as can puck luck which I think the Pens had in spades this time around).

I'm in favor of anything / everything that can make the calls more accurate and reliable.

The call that Bonino drew against the Caps with the phantom high stick is the kind of thing that should be reviewable IMO (I think Bonino was just trying to get his head out of the way of that and not necessarily trying to buy a call).

I also don't think that the coaches challenge (which I'd like to see expanded to cover high sticking calls even if that occasionally slows the game down) should be coupled to the time-out. If you lose the challenge you lose the time-out, if you use the time-out you still have the challenge -- it's more important to get the calls right. I do think the offside challenge could use tweaking -- maybe only allow that if the offender would be getting an assist on the goal otherwise let it go...?

And don't get me started on the **** DOPS...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad