Pre-Game Talk: Penguins vs Blackhawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I didn't know that Malkin was questionable, but apparently he looked shaky yesterday?

penguins2946*

Scratch both of them, maybe Sid and Perron as well. Just give them a break, they need it.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
This game is on NBCSN, right? Naturally my apartment doesn't get that channel. I'm not trying to go to the bar to watch the game, and I can't watch it on Gamecenter since it will be blacked out. If any kind soul has a link to stream the game or knows a good site, please PM me and I'd be forever grateful.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
If we are taking guys off the PP for turning the puck over, there wouldn't be anyone left to put out there.

Perron has great hands around the cage and is a very good net front presence. He scored a good amount of his goals last season from right near the paint.

He has a lethal shot and can QB the PP from the LHB. He can easily rotate in and out of the paint with Hornqvist. His skill and righty shot give the PP a whole new dynamic they haven't ever had in the Crosby and Malkin era.

Kunitz's stick is where puck possession goes to die anyway. He's the one that's the most replaceable on the top PP. There's not one redeeming quality he has that's better than the ones Perron or Hornqvist brings.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Kunitz's stick is where puck possession goes to die anyway. He's the one that's the most replaceable on the top PP. There's not one redeeming quality he has that's better than the ones Perron or Hornqvist brings.

True, but I think Hornqvist will replace Kunitz once he's healthy, and until Kunitz stays on in favor of Hornqvist or Perron then there is no reason to get worked up over it (not saying anyone is).

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Scratch both of them, maybe Sid and Perron as well. Just give them a break, they need it.
What?? Sid wants to play, I´m sure he doesn´t want that idiot Voracek to win Art. Scratching Perron? Why? He´s healthy and doesn´t play crazy amounts of time regularly. Also, contrary to belief here, points actually matter this season. We are not 15 points ahead of everybody in our division and we might find ourselves in a wildcard spot pretty quickly.

People need to stop with these overreactions and focus about an actual hockey for once. Game vs Chicago should be a good test for the Pens, they can play some valuable good hockey vs this team and build some confidence here.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I suspect Kunitz won't come off, but I'm willing to be optimistic.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
People need to stop with these overreactions and focus about an actual hockey for once. Game vs Chicago should be a good test for the Pens, they can play some valuable good hockey vs this team and build some confidence here.

No overreaction in sitting two guys they can't even win with if their health is any sort of question. The last few games were supposed to be a "test" too... they bombed in every conceivable metric you could quantify. In mostly pathetic fashion. Chicago is a better team than those guys.

I get the whole "any given Sunday" mindset. But this game is a wash. Better to rest guys who might well need it. Come back after the break and pretend that they actually have something to play for, this year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No overreaction in sitting two guys that can't even win with if their health is any sort of question. The last few games were supposed to be a "test" too... they bombed in every conceivable metric you could quantify. In mostly pathetic fashion. Chicago is a better team than those guys.

I get the whole "any given Sunday" mindset. But this game is a wash. Better to rest guys who might well need it. Come back after the break and pretend that they actually have something to play for, this year.

But it's Wednesday.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So according to you, Crosby is the primary reason the PP sucks (never mind those other four schleps on the ice), he doesn't buy into the system, he turns the puck over more than anyone else, he's not shooting, his production is apparently entirely linked to Hornqvist and now Perron who puts up with Crosby and make him a good two-way player (ignoring the entirety of last season and most of this season), and he apparently has to have really good wingers to buffer him both on defense and importantly on offense where his production is falling. Plus, apparently Crosby has had the best winger situation of any center on the Penguins his whole entire career while Malkin has only ever played with third line wingers.

You don't love Crosby. You seem to love blaming him for just about everything and ignoring just about anything positive he brings to the table.

Most of this season, Crosby's production has been linked to playing with players like Hornqvist and Perron. I don't see the issue with associating Crosby having space with him having good line mates. Crosby can't physically force himself past defenseman like Malkin can.

Crosby has been very streaky this year and denying that is simply denying the eye test and statistics. He'll put up three points one game and then do nothing for three games. He looked excellent against the Isles and Rags and then last night I would basically say he was invisible outside of the PK he played with Kunitz that led to the shorthanded goal.

Anyone denying the fact that Malkin has severely outplayed Crosby this year is simply not watching the games. Crosby is still one of the best players in the league, but he is beginning to look tired out there. Especially at the beginning of the season after Hornqvist and Kunitz went down and he was battling with the mumps. Makes sense, he was sick. The power play decisions are completely ridiculous from his end half the time and I think if he just shot the puck more or made a simple pass instead of trying to hit Perron or Kunitz half way across the ice when there are four players playing a PK in front of him he'd have more success.

I'm not blaming him for everything wrong with this team. I'm blaming him for being the main issue of the power play especially given that for the most part either him or Malkin is the one "quarterbacking" it.

May 10, 2010
From a coaching perspective, Adams may just be one of those guys coaches fall in love with for "veteran presence" or "PKing ability" that are otherwise worthless.

From a GM perspective, since Adams has a 35+ contract, waiving him doesn't take his cap hit off the Penguins books unless he's claimed by another team.

From a Penguins perspective, upper management was just peachy re-signing him as well as Scuderi.

If they make decisions like that how can I trust their decisions to hire a new GM and new coach when those decisions come from the same questionable brain trust?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
In an aside... NHL has true parity on a day-to-day basis. Same goes for MLB, even though sustaining success in the MLB seems to be the lower market issues. On any night, it's truly anyone's game. I think those two sports fit the bill more than NFL.

Except maybe Buffalo right now :laugh: They might be the worst team of all time. People can laugh at our X-Gen years but we lost games that were watchable. Buffalo is pretty impressive.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
In an aside... NHL has true parity on a day-to-day basis. Same goes for MLB, even though sustaining success in the MLB seems to be the lower market issues. On any night, it's truly anyone's game. I think those two sports fit the bill more than NFL.

Except maybe Buffalo right now :laugh: They might be the worst team of all time. People can laugh at our X-Gen years but we lost games that were watchable. Buffalo is pretty impressive.

Watching Buffalo is interesting. They have a ton of young guys on the way that are going to be winners. I can totally see a situation where they draft a McEichel and take advantage of teams jammed against the cap to add a couple vets this off season. They could easily put together a Sharp-Richards-Clarkson line (make LA and Toronto retain some of the cap hits) that could give them 18 minutes of decent hockey to protect their kids for a couple years. Maybe give Jagr a dump truck full of money on a one year deal. As long as they bring in some vets that understand the situation to teach the kids how to be pros they'll be fine.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
In an aside... NHL has true parity on a day-to-day basis. Same goes for MLB, even though sustaining success in the MLB seems to be the lower market issues. On any night, it's truly anyone's game. I think those two sports fit the bill more than NFL

Truly agree. The NFL has a big head and its too big for it's own good imo. perhaps generations down the line we'll see a shift of general interest.

I think if they end up with Mcdavid, things will start to change for them.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I didn't know that Malkin was questionable, but apparently he looked shaky yesterday?

I'm concerned about Geno, it looked like something was bothering him when he came back even though he made that nice play to set up the goal.

Our medical staff sent BB back in the game against Boston when it was clear he was injured, so it wouldn't surprise me if Geno ended up missing some time as well.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Truly agree. The NFL has a big head and its too big for it's own good imo. perhaps generations down the line we'll see a shift of general interest.

I think if they end up with Mcdavid, things will start to change for them.

I think that's why, with a playoff, college sports is growing even more than ever imagined. The ratings were insane this year.

And I agree about Buffalo. They deserve him, too. That'd be cool to see a hockey town getting a generational talent.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
NHL suspends based on injury. Letang's a game time decision tonight, so it goes without saying that Rinaldo will probably get like 4 games or something. Dude should be suspended for the rest of the year, he's a disaster.

CrozJawz*

Who cares about Rinaldo's suspension??? The Flyers certainly won't be missing him.

Rinaldo for Letang is a tradeoff that the Flyers will take any day of the week...

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
NHL suspends based on injury. Letang's a game time decision tonight, so it goes without saying that Rinaldo will probably get like 4 games or something. Dude should be suspended for the rest of the year, he's a disaster.

Agreed.

I am guessing he gets 2 games. Maybe 3. But hoping for more.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Who cares about Rinaldo's suspension??? The Flyers certainly won't be missing him.

Rinaldo for Letang is a tradeoff that the Flyers will take any day of the week...

Yup. I'm guessing he's pretty pleased with himself.

Hell... I don't have to guess. He more or less said so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad