Pre-Game Talk: Penguins vs Blackhawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Tough task historically, but it´s probably close to 0% this year. Tocchet probably disagrees, though. Letang is no PP wizard, not even close to that, but he´s probably our best option now. Unfortunately. Ehrhoff doesn´t look like a solution either, he´s very underwhelming offensively.

Not to mention, if for nothing else, Letang can at least keep the puck in the zone. I've never seen so many easy keep-ins missed as much as Ehrhoff was last night.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's not just that, though. You'd think the team's media partner would center their canonizing and focus over the likes of Crosby and Malkin, but all too often instead it promotes Adams and Dupuis as the cornerstone figures of the franchise.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Just with the Pens.

Idiot pig Madden with his daily: "MARTIN HAS TO BE ON THE POINT BECAUSE HE'S A PURE PUCK DISTRIBUTOR!!!"

Moron. Clueless. The PK doesn't respect Martin in the least because he's not a threat to shoot. Cheat away from him and turns the PP into a 4.5 vs. 4. **** I hate this team's media coverage.

Not sure why Erhoff hasn't gotten much of a look there. It's only one of the best aspects of his game. If Letang is out tonight I would expect to see DP manning the point tonight which would be a welcome addition.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Not percentage, but his goal production on the PP the last 4 years is at 6.67 goal/60min. Niskanen is at 6.36, Letang at 7.30.

This year? Martin has played 50min and and was on ice for one PP goal, Ehrhoff played around 80 min for 5 goals, and Letang played 145min for 27. That is 1.15 goals/60 min for Martin this season.

PP stats like that are pretty useless this season. It went from an impossible to sustain shooting percentage to a complete mess and that happened with the same personnel. Anyone else being put on will be at the mercy of the overall disaster.

I hate the PP.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
PP stats like that are pretty useless this season. It went from an impossible to sustain shooting percentage to a complete mess and that happened with the same personnel. Anyone else being put on will be at the mercy of the overall disaster.

I hate the PP.

I think the main issue with the power play is Crosby, to be honest. I don't want to say this, but he honestly is consistently forcing behind the back passes and across the ice passes and then he doesn't even skate to back check the players whenever he makes these mistakes.

Nothing you can really do about that, though.

Also, I really don't like Perron on it either.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014

I hate the PP.

Hasn't Martin played more one the 2nd unit so far? They haven't had a high shooting% to regress from. You could say that that has been a mess body-wise, too - but it also has been underwhelming, considering how much time it has gotten. That isn't just on Martin, though.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Hasn't Martin played more one the 2nd unit so far? They haven't had a high shooting% to regress from. You could say that that has been a mess body-wise, too - but it also has been underwhelming, considering how much time it has gotten. That isn't just on Martin, though.

I don't know, a lot of players have gotten PP time, but PP2 has been a mess in its own right. It's not on Martin, it's not on any individual, it's a complete unit and coaching problem. They passed the point where one person could be blamed awhile ago. The thing is just a disaster that imo can't give accurate numbers. Everything is to skewed by the general mess that it became from impossibly successful to impossibly bad.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I don't know, a lot of players have gotten PP time, but PP2 has been a mess in its own right. It's not on Martin, it's not on any individual, it's a complete unit and coaching problem. They passed the point where one person could be blamed awhile ago. The thing is just a disaster that imo can't give accurate numbers. Everything is to skewed by the general mess that it became from impossibly successful to impossibly bad.

Oh, I didn't want to point to Martin as the reason the PP has been bad. Just that in his career he actually produced quite well in the PP, and hasn't so far this season. The reasons are, as you said, not really because of one person.

So, I guess I don't agree with the comment above that is calling out Crosby.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Oh, I didn't want to point to Martin as the reason the PP has been bad. Just that in his career he actually produced quite well in the PP, and hasn't so far this season. The reasons are, as you said, not really because of one person.

So, I guess I don't agree with the comment above that is calling out Crosby.

Oh, I didn't think you were, I thought he was an example we're using. I guess we could say his downturn is reflective of the crap they're serving up.

Well, it's always Crosby's fault, everything is.

The one person I'd look at is Tocchet and even then it's not all him, he's just the guy failing to correct it, and his personnel choices.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I think the main issue with the power play is Crosby, to be honest. I don't want to say this, but he honestly is consistently forcing behind the back passes and across the ice passes and then he doesn't even skate to back check the players whenever he makes these mistakes.

It´s hard to find positives on the PP now. Even Malkin.. I mean, he had like 3-4 shots last night where he tried to hit far side but missed and the puck went right out of the zone. Those were extremely low-percentage shots and the risk is that they go right out of the zone when they are missed. I really hate stuff like that, that´s why they should shoot more from the middle and less from the boards like that. It really isn´t working.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

:laugh: You are loving on Crosby right now. Also, you don't like Perron, the guy that has set up or scored on PP goals in the last few games? Once healthy, Perron will likely be off the top PP anyway.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY

Why? Get's shots through and is far and away the best Right handed shooter on the team.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Seriously, I don´t know what to expect from this game, but probably nothing good. The Pens own the West, but with the way they are playing lately, it´s hard to imagine anything but an another loss.

That sums it up for me. Also the comment about not caring much. I mean, I care and follow, but I expect them to keep blowing it and losing games they should have won. It bugs my friends that they can't pick on me when the Pens lose, because I don't get bothered. So there's that...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
:laugh: You are loving on Crosby right now. Also, you don't like Perron, the guy that has set up or scored on PP goals in the last few games? Once healthy, Perron will likely be off the top PP anyway.

I love Crosby. He just seems to be resorting back to too many of his bad habits. I think a lot of it is not playing with Hornqvist anymore.

My issue with Perron isn't really that he isn't producing, it is the fact that when he flubs the puck he is making terrible turnovers and forcing plays.

I think Malkin and Letang have boughten into the system. They are shooting way more than they have in the past and instead of doing fancy plays they are simply passing and shooting. When we are fully healthy, I do expect to see Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist Malkin - Letang. But, I do agree. It should probably be Perron out there in Kunitz's spot. His shot his so lethal so it gives you that option of four shots.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
I love Crosby. He just seems to be resorting back to too many of his bad habits. I think a lot of it is not playing with Hornqvist anymore.

My issue with Perron isn't really that he isn't producing, it is the fact that when he flubs the puck he is making terrible turnovers and forcing plays.

I think Malkin and Letang have boughten into the system. They are shooting way more than they have in the past and instead of doing fancy plays they are simply passing and shooting. When we are fully healthy, I do expect to see Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist Malkin - Letang. But, I do agree. It should probably be Perron out there in Kunitz's spot. His shot his so lethal so it gives you that option of four shots.

From what I have seen, he is like Crosby to a certain extent. He takes the risk and either gets burned or does the burning.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
From what I have seen, he is like Crosby to a certain extent. He takes the risk and either gets burned or does the burning.

Which is fine when you have Letang there to skate a thousand seconds a minute and get back and stop the shorthanded opportunities, but if you watched Martin last night on the PP you can't be taking risks otherwise the players are going to pressure his shot and pressure a shorthanded opportunity.

That being said, I ****ing love Perron and think he is exactly what our top six needed. Solid back checker, solid fore checker. Great shot, nice passing ability. Loved how he got in Giroux's face after the second period last night, but didn't take a dumb penalty. Love how pissed he gets when we lose. We need at least one other player like that.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I understand the Perron thing on a few plays. I think he can work things out. He may end up on the 2nd unit when Hornqvist is back.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Which is fine when you have Letang there to skate a thousand seconds a minute and get back and stop the shorthanded opportunities, but if you watched Martin last night on the PP you can't be taking risks otherwise the players are going to pressure his shot and pressure a shorthanded opportunity.

That being said, I ****ing love Perron and think he is exactly what our top six needed. Solid back checker, solid fore checker. Great shot, nice passing ability. Loved how he got in Giroux's face after the second period last night, but didn't take a dumb penalty. Love how pissed he gets when we lose. We need at least one other player like that.

I'm cool with all that.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

If we are taking guys off the PP for turning the puck over, there wouldn't be anyone left to put out there.

Perron has great hands around the cage and is a very good net front presence. He scored a good amount of his goals last season from right near the paint.

He has a lethal shot and can QB the PP from the LHB. He can easily rotate in and out of the paint with Hornqvist. His skill and righty shot give the PP a whole new dynamic they haven't ever had in the Crosby and Malkin era.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

So according to you, Crosby is the primary reason the PP sucks (never mind those other four schleps on the ice), he doesn't buy into the system, he turns the puck over more than anyone else, he's not shooting, his production is apparently entirely linked to Hornqvist and now Perron who puts up with Crosby and make him a good two-way player (ignoring the entirety of last season and most of this season), and he apparently has to have really good wingers to buffer him both on defense and importantly on offense where his production is falling. Plus, apparently Crosby has had the best winger situation of any center on the Penguins his whole entire career while Malkin has only ever played with third line wingers.

You don't love Crosby. You seem to love blaming him for just about everything and ignoring just about anything positive he brings to the table.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This will be a men vs. boys game.

(hint: not in our favor)

They really, really should sit Letang and Malkin if there's even the slightest question of whether or not they are good to go. They aren't winning with them... so... yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia