GDT: Penguins Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
AZ fan here, how has POJ looked for you guys?

Made an impression based on our limited knowledge of Prospects Camp and the Prospect Challenge but little's known beyond yet.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Lineup for tomorrow, I imagine we'll see something like:

Simon-Blueger-Rust
Poulin-Lafferty-ZAR
Johnson-Palve-Haggerty
Miletic-Aggozino-Legare

Johnson-Addison
Riikola-Ruhwedel
POJ-Marino

I think it's a little interesting Johnson is playing in the first pre-season game. How often he's used in the pre-season shows how much he's at risk of losing his spot, IMO.

Pretty sure they have to dress a certain amount of veterans.

They're required to have 8 veterans in each game, but the rules over what qualifies as a "veteran" make that distinction a bit of a joke.
You can find the rules here: FYI: The Vet Minimum Rule for NHL Preseason Games

To give you an idea, here are the players that count as "veterans" for tonight's game:
Bryan Rust, Dominik Simon, Zach Aston-Reese, Jack Johnson, Chad Ruhwedel, Juuso Riikola, Casey DeSmith, Samuel Poulin
Yes, Poulin counts as a "veteran" because he was a first-round pick in the most recent draft.
Ruhwedel counts, as he's played in over 100 NHL games. Simon, ZAR, Ruhwedel and Riikola all played in over 30 games last season.
Blueger missed the cut-off by 1 game (28 games in the regular season plus 1 game in the playoffs).

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
2 things Sully has said have me really pumped for the season. One was that they're focusing on reteaching the details of the game. I've been harping on this for a while now, so it's music to my ears.

Two was that they're working on bringing more movement to the PP, not the puck but actual bodies. I think we all agree that this is badly needed as well.

Add this stuff to the excitement and hunger that people are talking about, and a faster, deeper, more hardworking team that fits the system very well. I'm starting to get excited. :yo:

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

giphy.gif

:laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
2 things Sully has said have me really pumped for the season. One was that they're focusing on reteaching the details of the game. I've been harping on this for a while now, so it's music to my ears.

Two was that they're working on bringing more movement to the PP, not the puck but actual bodies. I think we all agree that this is badly needed as well.

Add this stuff to the excitement and hunger that people are talking about, and a faster, deeper, more hardworking team that fits the system very well. I'm starting to get excited. :yo:
So nothing about needing to adjust to the current nhl and adapt to it? Just "reteach"...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It will last one week.

Hey now, I told you. If Riikola beats out Johnson for the 6th defensive spot-- and there's still a non zero theoretical chance of that-- then I'm going to be Glass Half Full Kirk.

But, yes, that's as likely to happen as player movement on the PP is to last . . . :D

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It clearly wasn't our only issue last year, but it certainly was ONE of our big issues last year (conversion was okay, but the shorties and the momentum killing when it wasn't scoring were brutal).

Frankly, jokes aside, I'm glad Sullivan finally is taking ownership here . . .
I am too. I seriously am. But I want more Candid talk about the other issues and that he's been focused on fixing it. With the arrogant af coaches we get in Pittsburgh sports, you can imagine my disdain when that stuff isn't discussed by the coaches and then you see why. The play the right way bs. The tomlins, Bylsmas, and last 2yrs, Sully. I more than anything, want to like the guy as much as I did the day he was hired and made coach later.

Reactions: KIRK

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We won back to back Cups and you guys are still acting like a dog that's been beat too much. Bylsma really did a number on us. :laugh:
It's cool you want to rest on those laurels but it's a game of trying to win as often as possible and making adjustments and improvements. Being stubborn and shitty the last 2yrs does not make it excusable for the last 2yrs because of back to back cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad