GDT: Penguins Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
How is the 1st round? worth keeping our pick regardless?
Incredibly strong draft class. Quality at the top, quantity of truly elite talent, depth, it has it all. The best since 2015 with real potential to surpass it. This is why I hope that if (when, please God) we dump JJ, we part with 2021 picks. I truly believe that the quality of prospect that will be available from 20-30 is the same as that typically available from ~10-15, and the same kind of deal in the second round.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
That quote, plus remembering who runs the Canucks, makes me feel like the Canucks set up Gudbranson to fail by giving him crap advice like "I want you to hit the puck carrier anytime you can". That seems like the kind of organization that hires idiot coaches who yell at defensemen for "fishing" for the puck :laugh:

I wasn't a defenseman so I can't comment too harshly, but I never understood why coaches insisted that defensemen they had to take the body and why they criticized going for poke checks as "fishing". If you have a long reach, I feel like that's a more effective way of taking the puck away than trying to hit someone.
Interesting point. Maybe some D will weigh in.

I think it qualifies as fishing (the bad kind) when they're hyper focused on the puck and forget to keep their body lined up with the attacker's. I think when they do stay lined up positionally while "fishing" for the puck, it is very effective and should be encouraged.

Just a theory but maybe it's a holdover from when D weren't as good skaters as they are today, and clutching and grabbing were big. It was probably easier and a higher percentage of success for a D to just focus on the attacker's chest and force him outside than to do that while at the same time going after the puck.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This is so far from the truth it is pretty sad. One of Rutherford’s best qualities is his ability to move on when something isn’t working. Literally I could name a ton of them. How long did Perron last or how about Hunwick? Let’s name a few more such as Oleksiak, Brassard, Sheahan, Reaves, and Pearson. It is scary how little informed posters are in this website. It really raises my blood pressure.

Rutherford is always willing to go big and take chances and when those chances don’t work out he moves on fairly quickly. I think JJ is in the same boat Brassard was in and will get this first half of season to see if he does better with a year of experience in the system. If JJ plays poorly he will not be with the team by the deadline.

Johnson is different because he's JR's big free agent signing with both money and term given out. You're crazy if you think JR isn't going to give him every chance to redeem himself.

Certainly he won't ever bury JJ in the minors even if our team would likely be better off for it. At best he'd trade him, but even that he hasn't done yet.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Maybe Pegula wants them to ice a strong roster at his arena

Hasn't been a lot to cheer about in terms of wins for the Sabres. This one's for the fans.

Try to keep them content long enough for Eichel and Dahlin to really hit their strides. Things have to start looking better at some point.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Checking back in, was in attendance for day 1

Guentzel-Sid-Kahun. This line was buzzing. Kahun looks almost exactly like Simon but then he makes a high skill play and reminds you it's Kahun again. Hopefully this line sticks. If so I'd bet Sid close to 100pts, Guentzel close to 50 goals (if on PP 1).

Malkin looked like he had a weight lifted off his shoulders. Absolutely flying and backchecking hard :). He was with Tanev and Galchy.
Malkin called Tanev the fastest player in the NHL after this scrimmage. He's gotta be aside from the All-Star guys. Insanely gritty and good at board play too.
Galchy is like a way better Sprong. Still stickhandles himself into turnovers and did a few times with Sullivan sitting directly above him in the press box. But he kid can play and passing was really good. Great chemistry between these three.

Jack Johnson looked really good with #3 on. Will we see a Paul Martin type 2nd year? He was carrying the puck through traffic a lot with no mistakes. Moved the puck really well.

PO Joseph looks like a younger, faster Dumoulin. Ton of potential here. Marino looked good too, but he's years older. Stepped up on Malkin a couple times and 'won'.

Was watching Palve specifically in the three on three drill. Can see some skill but not a ton of finish. He scored in the 2nd scrimmage - not sure of the nature. Didn't stick out enough to not be waived in camp.

Lafferty is faster and can lug the puck through the middle. As Tom Kostopolous said sitting next to me though he 'needs to pass more'. I'll be surprised if Adam Johnson doesn't make the team as 13th fwd. Just ridiculous speed and effort on the forecheck. Ruhwedel and another Dman couldn't get out of their own zone due to him and Cramarossa pressuring. Cram was the only one extremely over physical. He crunched a ton of guys besides Jack Johnson who bounced off him.

Out of the younger guys, you can see Poulin skill but is years away. Legare is like a freight train with the puck. Keeps it in tight and skates straight at guys. What a draft pick that might turn out to be.

Assuming Trotman will be waived over Ruhwedel and Riikola. But I think he outperforms Ruhwedel at the moment, not by a huge margin though.

Blueger pulled a nasty penalty shot move on D'Orio, who is assuming headed to Wheeling shortly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad