Confirmed with Link: Penguins trade Derrick Pouliot to Canucks for Andrey Pedan, 4th rd. pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
What? Not even close. There's lots more who've shown even less from their first round roots than him. Esposito and Bergkvist come to mind in fairly recent history.

20OA and 26OA vs 8OA, though.

Don't worry, for Pouliot's honour I looked through their top 10 picks.

Garry Swain, 4OA in 1968 played 9 NHL games and 171 WHA games.
Steve Rexe, 2OA in 1967 played 0 NHL games

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I saw Craig Hillier in Wheeling once. He got freaking shredded. Totally overwhelmed by the skill level of players in the E.

As an aside, this reminds me that the Nailers used to have a phenomenal weekend package. It was something like 2 tickets, 2 hot dogs, 4 beers and a hotel room (2 nights) for like $60. Think it was a cross-promotion with the racetrack, maybe.
Yeah, I was going to say Hillier was far worse.

Bye bye, Pooh.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Exactly what I expected. Actually, the return is a little higher than I expected. The pick will probably be nearly a 3rd, and we got a D on top of it.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
This was a housekeeping trade. Trade one of our waiver eligibles for a guy who has already passed through waivers, and gain back a draft pick. It's not the deal we expected before the start of the regular season, but at least it is a good deal in terms of asset management. Now that we have a fourth rounder, we can throw in a third rounder in any trade for a center.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Rather we only got the pick enough of a logjam as it is in WBS atm. Pedan is also not good. But whatever, weve been mad since they made the Pouliot pick years ago, finally time to move on:)

REAVES

Jun 24, 2017
Pouliot was softer then a marshmallow. Dude is ready to be a Men's B league super star. What a loser. Guy had a chance to make millions and wound up being a little weisel . Later

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'm probably one of the very few people who thinks he can have an NHL career. It was never going to happen here though. I think he's one of those guys that needs to be thrown in the fire and play through all of his considerable struggles. Sink or swim. If the Nucks play him 60+ games, I think he has a shot. Doesn't matter though, he's not our headache anymore. Thanks Shero.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I value top 10 picks over bottom 1st round picks, for sure.

Yeah, I'd say a guy busting when he's a top 10 pick looks a lot worse than some 20-something pick busting.

Kind of like the difference between being disappointed if your 5th overall pick never surpasses 40 points, while being ecstatic if your 25th overall pick can score 40 points regularly in the NHL.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I'd say a guy busting when he's a top 10 pick looks a lot worse than some 20-something pick busting.

Kind of like the difference between being disappointed if your 5th overall pick never surpasses 40 points, while being ecstatic if your 25th overall pick can score 40 points regularly in the NHL.

Maatta should've been taken where Pouliot was. You could've swapped those picks and it would've made a lot more sense.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I've told everyone here, Pouliot was never going to play for us, ever. He has a terrible work ethic and he is stupid. The other reason is he pissed off almost every player and isn't even a part of the team, in Wilkes Barres! The dude eats alone, drinks alone, and doesn't really have any friends because he is a grade a dushbag. He will never be a NHL player.

The 4th was a godsend. Worst pick of the Shero era.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I'm probably one of the very few people who thinks he can have an NHL career. It was never going to happen here though. I think he's one of those guys that needs to be thrown in the fire and play through all of his considerable struggles. Sink or swim. If the Nucks play him 60+ games, I think he has a shot. Doesn't matter though, he's not our headache anymore. Thanks Shero.

I'm not ruling out him being an every day low end player with PP ability. I said more or less as much on the trade board, but the rest is usually what people say when they've run out of reasons a guy just isn't very good.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I've told everyone here, Pouliot was never going to play for us, ever. He has a terrible work ethic and he is stupid. The other reason is he pissed off almost every player and isn't even a part of the team, in Wilkes Barres! The dude eats alone, drinks alone, and doesn't really have any friends because he is a grade a dushbag. He will never be a NHL player.

The 4th was a godsend. Worst pick of the Shero era.
You better post like this when you are dead wrong, too. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hopefully for the sake of Pouliot and Vancouver (not that they gave up much), he puts things together after a change of scenery. But I don't see it. I don't think the problems with Pouliot's game stem from conditioning or faulty instruction. He just seems a half step behind everything and just can't quite think the game at the NHL level. A very unfortunate pick by the Penguins. It happens. Stuff evens out... and already has. But still... 8th overall-->4th round pick/AHL defenseman. Yikes.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
You better post like this when you are dead wrong, too. :laugh:
haha I admitted when I was DEAD wrong about Haglin trade. I posted a mea culpa. I expected he was near done in the NHL and that trade won us a cup.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, people saying Pouliot's issues are him being lazy are just making **** up. From everything we have seen, he actually worked his ass off to try and get a spot here. He was just caught in a numbers game that he was not good enough to beat. He didn't play well enough to justify getting a spot, but at the same time, I don't think the Penguins ever put him in the position to succeed. Meh, he's someone else's problem now.

The Pouliot situation was a failure across the board from the Penguins and Pouliot. The team took him above where he should have gone. They didn't develop him properly, they should have been focused on building up his offensive game and playing on his strengths, but instead they tried to make him more well rounded, which just resulted in him being neither good enough offensively or defensively for the NHL.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Buddy who is a huge die hard nucks fan - goes to prospect & training camps every year is super pissed. Says Pedan is a good stay at home d man and super tough. Does not like the deal for Van

Sure hope his day job isn't an NHL scout.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
haha I admitted when I was DEAD wrong about Haglin trade. I posted a mea culpa. I expected he was near done in the NHL and that trade won us a cup.
We all win some and lose some! The wins feel so damn good, though.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah, people saying Pouliot's issues are him being lazy are just making **** up. From everything we have seen, he actually worked his ass off to try and get a spot here. He was just caught in a numbers game that he was not good enough to beat. He didn't play well enough to justify getting a spot, but at the same time, I don't think the Penguins ever put him in the position to succeed. Meh, he's someone else's problem now.

It seemed like DP's days were pretty much numbered once Johnston was given the boot. Despite being drafted by Shero, wasn't he Johnston's boy, more or less?

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
It seemed like DP's days were pretty much numbered once Johnston was given the boot. Despite being drafted by Shero, wasn't he Johnston's boy, more or less?

Yeah, Johnston was his coach in the WHL and he's the only coach that Pouliot looked effective under in the NHL. I feel like the reason for that was because with all of Johnston's faults, he knew how to play Pouliot to get him to be effective. That didn't happen with any other coach for Pouliot in Pittsburgh (or WBS).

Under Johnston, Pouliot had over 57% offensive zone starts with getting 17:30 a game and 2:30 of PP TOI/game. Under Sullivan, his offensive zone start time plummeted to below 50%, didn't get above a minute of PP TOI/game and only played a shade over 15:00 a game. For being drafted as an offensive D that can be a PPQB, they sure as hell didn't use him like that with Sullivan.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Well, he eventually got into shape in the offseason but still didn't look like a hard worker on the ice. So, yeah, years after being drafted he literally worked his ass off and still didn't ditch the lackadaisical crap that wasn't working.

I think he had a trifecta of problems. He wasn't that fast, wasn't that smart and wasn't a high effort player. It's a brutal combination. If he was faster the IQ and laziness would have been covered for to a degree. If he was smarter the skating and effort would have been covered for to a degree. If he wasn't lazy the IQ and skating would have been compensated for a bit. Instead, it was all three combining into what we got.

Johnston was his juniors coach before the Pens hired him. I don't think Johnston leaving or JR not drafting him were the big things, but I think Sullivan not bringing him up with his guys was a major sign.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
Well, he eventually got into shape in the offseason but still didn't look like a hard worker on the ice. So, yeah, years after being drafted he literally worked his ass off and still didn't ditch the lackadaisical crap that wasn't working.

I think he had a trifecta of problems. He wasn't that fast, wasn't that smart and wasn't a high effort player. It's a brutal combination. If he was faster the IQ and laziness would have been covered for to a degree. If he was smarter the skating and effort would have been covered for to a degree. If he wasn't lazy the IQ and skating would have been compensated for a bit. Instead, it was all three combining into what we got.

I also don't think you can dismiss the Penguins not using Pouliot well and not developing him well. I think it was a failure all across the board with Pouliot. Not only did he have faults that prevented him from being an everyday player, the organization didn't develop him well to either get rid of those flaws or use him appropriately to minimize the impact of those flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad