Confirmed with Link: Penguins trade Derrick Pouliot to Canucks for Andrey Pedan, 4th rd. pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
So we basically got back a 4th rounder to replace the one we lost in the Streit trade. Pouliot got beaten out of a job by Chad f***ing Ruhwedel twice in six months. Tells you all you need to know about his alleged value.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Nice. Tinordi 2.0. What's with JR adding big guys lately?

The team has next to no size and physicality. Finding guys who have those attributes and can actually skate and stickhandle well enough not to be nightmares in our system is not easy. So why not take a few flyers on AHL dmen who might blossom Ruhwedel style and fill a need?

Anyway, other than a bit of disappointment that he hasn't been used to solve the centre issue, I'm happy enough with this. He was going one way or another - at least we got something. Good luck to him but can't help feeling the fact that Botterill and Shero weren't in on him is pretty telling.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
Wasn't Chaput also waived? Or am I mixing people up as per usual?

Yeah, Chaput was also waived. That's why this trade doesn't make sense to me. You're still getting a guy you can send down to WBS, but at least you'd be getting a center that can play in the NHL. With Pedan, I'm not even sure he'd be #9 on our depth chart.

If you brought in Chaput, you could just keep him as an extra forward just to have another center on the roster until you either brought in a 3C or Hornqvist came back. At that point, then you just send him down to WBS, since he already cleared waivers.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Now to unfollow him on twitter.

Hard to believe it's the end of the Pouliot era. An era that saw two Stanley cups come to Pittsburgh. #neverforget

He even played in two playoff games. #integral

A guy at my office is telling me they fleeced the Penguins again like Naslund with this trade because Pouliot will play up to his potential for Travis Green, his ex coach.

I had to wipe away laughter tears.

Been there, tried that. Got the super shitty preseason.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The team has next to no size and physicality. Finding guys who have those attributes and can actually skate and stickhandle well enough not to be nightmares in our system is not easy. So why not take a few flyers on AHL dmen who might blossom Ruhwedel style and fill a need?

Anyway, other than a bit of disappointment that he hasn't been used to solve the centre issue, I'm happy enough with this. He was going one way or another - at least we got something. Good luck to him but can't help feeling the fact that Botterill and Shero weren't in on him is pretty telling.

Yeah, no kidding. :laugh: Oh well, end of an era, we can finally move on, closure, healing and all that nonsense.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
I'm just happy Pouliot is gone because I don't have to hear people complaining about him on here anymore :laugh:

The Penguins also now have picks in all 7 rounds for the 2018 and 2019 drafts, so that's pretty nice.

So who's next in line for a call up? Bengtsson? Corrado?

Should be Bengtsson, probably will be Pedan.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm just happy Pouliot is gone because I don't have to hear people complaining about him on here anymore :laugh:

The Penguins also now have picks in all 7 rounds for the 2018 and 2019 drafts, so that's pretty nice.

Should be Bengtsson, probably will be Pedan.

I think it depends who gets injured. Bengtsson is clearly the first PMD call-up at this stage. Not sure who's the first defensive call-up, although pre-season reports from here make it sound like Summers.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
I think it depends who gets injured. Bengtsson is clearly the first PMD call-up at this stage. Not sure who's the first defensive call-up, although pre-season reports from here make it sound like Summers.

I think if it's a LD, Pedan will be recalled because the Penguins LD are all defense first D. If it's a RD, Bengtsson will be recalled most likely because the Penguins RD are all puck moving and skating D.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Does that go down as the worst Penguins draft pick of all time? He's got to be up there.

What? Not even close. There's lots more who've shown even less from their first round roots than him. Esposito and Bergkvist come to mind in fairly recent history.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is Pedan waiver-exempt? Seems a bit strange to move Pouliot for another guy they could lose for free.

They did recoup the 4th round pick in 2018 they'd previously dealt away for Mark Streit, though. So I guess there's that?

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
Is Pedan waiver-exempt? Seems a bit strange to move Pouliot for another guy they could lose for free.

They did recoup the 4th round pick in 2018 they'd previously dealt away for Mark Streit, though. So I guess there's that?

Pedan cleared waivers earlier today I think.

You don't have to be so nice to him anymore JR :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Not waiver exempt but has already been through waivers this season.

Erz8771

Aug 2, 2007
T.Bay
LOL at anyone who is upset with the return we got for d.p. I guess its hockey fan nature to grossly overvalue there own prospects. Lets face it. D.P is the shits and has no place on this team.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
What? Not even close. There's lots more who've shown even less from their first round roots than him. Esposito and Bergkvist come to mind in fairly recent history.

I saw Craig Hillier in Wheeling once. He got freaking shredded. Totally overwhelmed by the skill level of players in the E.

As an aside, this reminds me that the Nailers used to have a phenomenal weekend package. It was something like 2 tickets, 2 hot dogs, 4 beers and a hotel room (2 nights) for like $60. Think it was a cross-promotion with the racetrack, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad