GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline thread: What can we get for 3 packs of gum and a signed hockey puck?

We want?!

• A shrubbery

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Chychrun

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Karlsson

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Some other big name player

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Gritty bottom 6 player

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Gritty bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offensive bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goalie

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Some crazy move out of left field

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • To be sellers

Votes: 32 28.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*** Keep this thread to Penguins related trades, rumors, rumblings, etc only please.***

skipper-madagascar.gif

Keep NHL related talk to this thread please:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
All I have here is we need to find a way to offload McGinn fully and/or Heinen and bring in a bargain LW.

It's the only chance at us getting extremely lucky and sparking some kind of fire.
I suppose there's still a slight chance Hextall does something stupid like move Pettersson or something. Not totally ruling that out after the Granlund fiasco.

He's probably done though.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Maybe. But personally I don't care about who we COULD have traded for moreso who we did. It's a terrible trade even if you like the player.

You like him: Could have had him retained
You hate him: He's overpriced and doesn't help what this team needs.

I literally talked about the financials so I'm assuming what you meant in your head is not what came out - and assuming you meant that they have someone who understands the on-ice product - quite LITERALLY why they pay Burke/Hextall. You think they just have redundancies for them sitting in cubicles near them ready to bash any move coming out? They pay millions for this front office...to do their job. They fax it in, gets stamped by Burke - that'll be pretty much all she wrote. You think they have someone that Sully reports to for his lineup card too?
Ya FSG is an owner not an expert in the game of hockey. They pay our guys plenty of money to run the organization.

Heck they might have no clue that what's happening is absolute trash with zero directional sense.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Honest to God it looks like Hextall wasn’t going to do anything, then got pressured by the team and fans, so he started clearing cap space (far too late) and then was like “who can I trade for from the team that we just played so that I don’t have to really do much extra work? Ah yeah let’s get Granlund!”

The fact that he did this two days before the deadline is what’s most ridiculous. Granlund is the type of player that you maybe circle back around to if you absolutely have to make a trade.

You can’t convince me that teams were lining up to trade for him and that he wouldn’t have been available at the last minute.

Hopefully it works out and we all look like dumbasses.

Reactions: Andy99

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Maybe. But personally I don't care about who we COULD have traded for moreso who we did. It's a terrible trade even if you like the player.

You like him: Could have had him retained
You hate him: He's overpriced and doesn't help what this team needs.

I literally talked about the financials so I'm assuming what you meant in your head is not what came out - and assuming you meant that they have someone who understands the on-ice product - quite LITERALLY why they pay Burke/Hextall. You think they just have redundancies for them sitting in cubicles near them ready to bash any move coming out? They pay millions for this front office...to do their job. They fax it in, gets stamped by Burke - that'll be pretty much all she wrote. You think they have someone that Sully reports to for his lineup card too?
& Burke & Hextall have a Boss & that guy has a Boss John Henry

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I suppose there's still a slight chance Hextall does something stupid like move Pettersson or something. Not totally ruling that out after the Granlund fiasco.

He's probably done though.
There's just no way they trade a tenured LD now lol.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Ya FSG is an owner not an expert in the game of hockey. They pay our guys plenty of money to run the organization.

Heck they might have no clue that what's happening is absolute trash with zero directional sense.
Yes They have no motherf***ing clue what their employees are spending their money on. Might want to sit this one out

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

I've been the guy a wealthy person pays to get a job done. They don't double check a damned thing about what you do. You mess up and you know it's your ass / reputation. In fact, the thought of coming to the owner/operator with your idea or decision is both insulting and comical. Sir I'm gonna tell you what I'm about to do - for which you hired me and paid me good money - "get the f*** off my yacht" - right sorry sir.

The thought that - because they're wealthy they trust but verify is a fallacy. What they do is scrutinize hiring (usually), have someone do that for them that they trust or use word of mouth from folks they trust.

Reactions: Flying Dego

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
I've been the guy a wealthy person pays to get a job done. They don't double check a damned thing about what you do. You mess up and you know it's your ass / reputation. In fact, the thought of coming to the owner/operator with your idea or decision is both insulting and comical. Sir I'm gonna tell you what I'm about to do - for which you hired me and paid me good money - "get the f*** off my yacht" - right sorry sir.

The thought that - because they're wealthy they trust but verify is a fallacy. What they do is scrutinize hiring (usually), have someone do that for them that they trust or use word of mouth from folks they trust.
& you work for someone whose company willl go belly up too

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The fact that he did this two days before the deadline is what’s most ridiculous. Granlund is the type of player that you maybe circle back around to if you absolutely have to make a trade.

You can’t convince me that teams were lining up to trade for him and that he wouldn’t have been available at the last minute.

Hopefully it works out and we all look like dumbasses.
Granlund is a guy you get when he’s a rental as a flyer right before the deadline after you have exhausted all options. You never lock yourself into guys like this for 2 more years without retention. I’m not trying to be dramatic, but this is seriously one of the worst trades I can remember.

Reactions: Andy99 and Zbynek

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Even going back and looking at the off season I hate everything Hextall did except for signing the core + Rakell.

The Petry/Rutta moves weren't necessarily bad. They didn't make the team worse. But I don't think we're any better with those two players than we were with Matheson and Marino. And we got older. We were a team that absolutely under no circumstances needed to get older.

And now we got ANOTHER old player in Granlund.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Granlund is a guy you get when he’s a rental as a flyer right before the deadline after you have exhausted all options. You never lock yourself into guys like this for 2 more years without retention. I’m not trying to be dramatic, but this is seriously one of the worst trades I can remember.
Sure you bitched & Moaned a Blue Streak about Despres for Lovejoy too

Reactions: Night Shift

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
On paper it's up there as one of the worst Pens moves of the past 10 years lol.

We'll see how it works out but it looks f***ing terrible and if it does work out I'm going to call that blind luck because everything is pointing to this being a bad move.

It reminds me of JR with JJ. Everyone knew it was terribly stupid, and he still went ahead and did it anyways.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
This is 100% the worst Penguins trade since Jaromir Jagr for Kris Beech. I still can't get my head around the full 5 million price tag with Nashville almost 20 million under the cap limit

On paper it's up there as one of the worst Pens moves of the past 10 years lol.

We'll see how it works out but it looks f***ing terrible and if it does work out I'm going to call that blind luck because everything is pointing to this being a bad move.

It reminds me of JR with JJ. Everyone knew it was terribly stupid, and he still went ahead and did it anyways.
10 years? Try 20 years, easily

Reactions: Pancakes

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

Maybe, but I think the board was more Melancholy and depressed over Despres-Lovejoy.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
& you work for someone whose company willl go belly up too

Which is why in that instance the individual was cautious on who they hired. They don't pay 2 people, 1 to do the job and 1 to check what that person does in a 1:1 situation. That's ridiculous. The GM doesn't have full authority, no. Your president of operations stamps it. Doesn't like, keep going up and up.

I seriously am curious what industry does that. Why do they pay Hextall/Burke all this money? Those guys have teams around them. They're in charge. End of the day, product doesn't perform - clean house. You seem to be arguing that everything they do is also approved somewhere else (while being scrutinized by some other pro in the field) - and that blame is to be shared. No. They get to do their job...if they mess up they likely get canned - like how it works elsewhere. They don't go belly up. Coach doesn't have another coach approving his coaching. He fails his job - fired (yeah insert joke here).

And no, while working for that individual - he was insanely successful because of who he hired. Extraordinarily attached to the word of mouth system. Everyone knew that if they somehow got through that and were turds - they'd be fired. Happened twice as I recall. Company was far, far and away from belly up. Beside the point of course.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The thing is that Zucker is UFA so we do have a top 6 hole to fill longer term. Of course Granlund basically prevents us from re-signing Zucker. Maybe Zucker's camp just flat-out said he doesn't want to return here.

Reactions: Shady Machine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad