GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline thread: What can we get for 3 packs of gum and a signed hockey puck?

We want?!

• A shrubbery

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Chychrun

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Karlsson

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Some other big name player

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Gritty bottom 6 player

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Gritty bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offensive bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goalie

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Some crazy move out of left field

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • To be sellers

Votes: 32 28.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*** Keep this thread to Penguins related trades, rumors, rumblings, etc only please.***

skipper-madagascar.gif

Keep NHL related talk to this thread please:

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
I'm not defending Granlund but Bertuzzi really wouldn't tickle any fancy either. Pending UFA at that and I assume some team is gonna spend stupid money on him because of his name, one great season and GRITTTTTTT

Reactions: orby

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Don't know how to break it to half this board But I am sure RH ran it by FSG & they were ok with it

K.

You ever have a boss that didn't know shit about your job and trusted you to do it? I mean, depending on industry that's often how it goes. FSG are a bunch of suits who are more concerned with things like product placement, advertising partnerships etc, than they are about the intra-workings of the actual team.

What if this was the most complex flip of all time...

Na Hextall gets zero wiggle room from me here. I'll believe it when I see it

Exactly. Fans have every right to boo during the game even if you end up winning. Based on the dude's season and Summer - the boos should include pitchforks.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
There are teams out there- many of them - who don't have Geno/Sid up top. They pay guys like Granlund because that's their version of top 6.

Bertuzzi a top 6 NHLer? What's your metric or standard?

I think the clear line between top 6ers worth money AND term are consistency or being really good at 1 thing. Granlund is quite literally the definition of a bottom 6 guy. He's inconsistent, mediocre at the NHL at most things. His only saving grace is his versatility. That makes him really solid for a team that's building or youthful - who want guys to get different looks. He can shift to C and let a young wing get a go, or back to wing and get the young C. On the Pens? Dude will be hated.

You think Rust is having a down year? He's pacing the same...in his DOWN year at the same money. Less goals too (which is what this team needs) Granlund is also a year older.

All I'm saying is Granland and Zucker played well together as linemates in a top 6 role in Minnesota. Are you saying it shouldn't be tried?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Absolute loool at Hextall after seeing Bertuzzi traded after all. Serious joke of a GM. Not saying I’d be over the moon about a 1st+ but it’s the kind of deal you can make in the off-season if you kept cap space flexibility. Instead our sleepy GM woke up to make a dumb deal that stole that flexibility for an aging player that doesn’t fit their superstar coach’s philosophy at all. What in the actual f*** is going on?

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
All I'm saying is Granland and Zucker played well together in a top 6 role in Minnesota. Are you saying it shouldn't be tried?
If those two aren't glued together on the powerplay and a line together this is an even bigger s*** show than I thought. And that's near impossible.

Reactions: Night Shift

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I'm not defending Granlund but Bertuzzi really wouldn't tickle any fancy either. Pending UFA at that and I assume some team is gonna spend stupid money on him because of his name, one great season and GRITTTTTTT

Already happened. Boston paid a (protected) 1st rounder for him.

I didn't want him either. Just pointing out he was making like 5M also from a meddling Detroit team - so does that make him a top 6er. He's a tweener. Guys like that are tough to sign to term deals. Granlund is that guy. Maybe on Seattle or (hint hint) Vancouver he's a staple to their top 6 - team like the Pens he's gonna go from Geno's wing where he'll look like Conor Sheary, straight to the bottom 6 where he gets thrashed by physical bottom 6ers and can't figure out how to dish to Carter and Heinen.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This is a huge stretch...but maybe they are flipping Granlund?
No chance. Hextall put out the quote last night about how Granlund helps them on the pk and pp and blah blah blah.

You dont put that type of quote out on a player you don't intend to keep

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Can someone explain the plan of this management team? What on earth are they doing?

I hope they get bounced so hard in the playoffs that heads roll. That’s the only hope.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
No chance. Hextall put out the quote last night about how Granlund helps them on the pk and pp and blah blah blah.

You dont put that type of quote out on a player you don't intend to keep
All I have here is we need to find a way to offload McGinn fully and/or Heinen and bring in a bargain LW.

It's the only chance at us getting extremely lucky and sparking some kind of fire.

Reactions: Pancakes

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
K.

You ever have a boss that didn't know shit about your job and trusted you to do it? I mean, depending on industry that's often how it goes. FSG are a bunch of suits who are more concerned with things like product placement, advertising partnerships etc, than they are about the intra-workings of the actual team.

Exactly. Fans have every right to boo during the game even if you end up winning. Based on the dude's season and Summer - the boos should include pitchforks.
Yeah I am sure a Mega Billion dollar company doesn't have anyone that understands financials of their teams . This Board is f***ing unreadable now. Every player traded Oh f*** We CoUlD TrAdEd FoR HiM

• Haha
Reactions: Night Shift

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
After sleeping on it I still hate this trade

Yeah, still hate it but it can be mitigated by setting up the lines correctly. We may be able to squeeze some juice out of that lemon if they play him with Malkin and Zucker.

Next steps are important. I think the best we can hope for is that Hextall does **** all else. The Pens limp into the playoffs and get caved by Carolina or Jersey or something. Then FSG wakes up, shitcans Hex, and we get a real GM in to try and pull out the duct tape this offseason.

Reactions: Pancakes

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Honest to God it looks like Hextall wasn’t going to do anything, then got pressured by the team and fans, so he started clearing cap space (far too late) and then was like “who can I trade for from the team that we just played so that I don’t have to really do much extra work? Ah yeah let’s get Granlund!”

Reactions: Andy99 and Pens x

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Yeah I am sure a Mega Billion dollar company doesn't have anyone that understands financials of their teams . This Board is f***ing unreadable now. Every player traded Oh f*** We CoUlD TrAdEd FoR HiM

Maybe. But personally I don't care about who we COULD have traded for moreso who we did. It's a terrible trade even if you like the player.

You like him: Could have had him retained
You hate him: He's overpriced and doesn't help what this team needs.

I literally talked about the financials so I'm assuming what you meant in your head is not what came out - and assuming you meant that they have someone who understands the on-ice product - quite LITERALLY why they pay Burke/Hextall. You think they just have redundancies for them sitting in cubicles near them ready to bash any move coming out? They pay millions for this front office...to do their job. They fax it in, gets stamped by Burke - that'll be pretty much all she wrote. You think they have someone that Sully reports to for his lineup card too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad