GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline thread: What can we get for 3 packs of gum and a signed hockey puck?

We want?!

• A shrubbery

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Chychrun

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Karlsson

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Some other big name player

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Gritty bottom 6 player

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Gritty bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offensive bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goalie

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Some crazy move out of left field

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • To be sellers

Votes: 32 28.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*** Keep this thread to Penguins related trades, rumors, rumblings, etc only please.***

skipper-madagascar.gif

Keep NHL related talk to this thread please:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
HEXTALL you're on the clock.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I do believe the last couple trade deadlines he did pretty well. Or am I misremembering things?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is completely serious. I had a dream last night that @Zirakzigil had posted that we were locking the salary cap thread because "you 5 can't behave yourself" in a reply to Soggy Biscuits (can't remember what they changed their names to) and had opened a new thread for the trade deadline talks.

Basically, you can say I can tell the future when I go to sleep after taking an edible.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Tell me something Zucker and Dumo as +30 year old UFA's-to-be have in common with the guys we are otherwise discussing here and how their values are in any way correlated. I'll wait.
GMs lose their minds over guys like Dumo every single TDL without fail--he has the "steady blueliner with a calming veteran presence and Cup experience" resume that GMs adore. Zucker's a 20g, 50pt middle-6 wing with a motor. At 50% retained, they're also affordable for basically any team out there with Cup aspirations.

I'm not saying they're gonna return a haul, but to imagine the team ending up with a 1st and 2nd, or two 2nds for shipping those guys out is not unrealistic. I realize it won't happen, and the odds of those two being re-signed this summer are higher than Hextall moving them, but they're valuable pieces in a clear seller's market.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
This is completely serious. I had a dream last night that @Zirakzigil had posted that we were locking the salary cap thread because "you 5 can't behave yourself" in a reply to Soggy Biscuits (can't remember what they changed their names to) and had opened a new thread for the trade deadline talks.

Basically, you can say I can tell the future when I go to sleep after taking an edible.
You really need to stop dreaming about me. My girlfriend isnt about sharing and will find you.

Also, you wankers cant behave yourself. Ive lost all hope in that. :P

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If the Pens are gonna throw the kitchen sink at Arizona to be in the Chychrun running, and I'm not sure they will, or should, I would like to see them somehow pry Vejmelka outta there with Chychrun. Team needs an upgrade at LD (though I'm not sure where Chychrun fits) and Vejmelka is either a new starter or real good insurance for Jarry and his brittle durability.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
GMs lose their minds over guys like Dumo every single TDL without fail--he has the "steady blueliner with a calming veteran presence and Cup experience" resume that GMs adore. Zucker's a 20g, 50pt middle-6 wing with a motor. At 50% retained, they're also affordable for basically any team out there with Cup aspirations.

I'm not saying they're gonna return a haul, but to imagine the team ending up with a 1st and 2nd, or two 2nds for shipping those guys out is not unrealistic. I realize it won't happen, and the odds of those two being re-signed this summer are higher than Hextall moving them, but they're valuable pieces in a clear seller's market.
The above arguments - as I hinted - have nothing to do with the deals made or prices paid. They're the same arguments that would be likely true for those two any given deadline.

The reason you realize they won't happen is that not a single team in our current position would be selling players in the roles those two occupy. We can bitch about a lot of things - legimately - regarding Hex and Sully, but not being a seller right now is not one of them.

It is not something anyone does when playoff revenue is likely right there in front of us, and our main players would hate it fiercely too.

Reactions: Factorial and Turin

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
If the Pens are gonna throw the kitchen sink at Arizona to be in the Chychrun running, and I'm not sure they will, or should, I would like to see them somehow pry Vejmelka outta there with Chychrun. Team needs an upgrade at LD (though I'm not sure where Chychrun fits) and Vejmelka is either a new starter or real good insurance for Jarry and his brittle durability.
So for us to get Chych and Vekmelka...

3 1sts, 2 2nds, Pickering, Bleuger, CDS

Just going off of deadline prices set by TB.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
@rt said he'd do a deal with 1st, 1st, 2nd, Pickering, Kapanen (replace him with someone else) for those 2.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
So much for it being a buyers market. That deal for Jeannot. Woof. All these ECF teams blowing their loads and only one will make it out. Will be entertaining if nothing else.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
All these ECF teams blowing their loads and only one will make it out. Will be entertaining if nothing else.
Should they take the Hextall approach - botch the roster in the summer and then never fix it?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The above arguments - as I hinted - have nothing to do with the deals made or prices paid. They're the same arguments that would be likely true for those two any given deadline.

The reason you realize they won't happen is that not a single team in our current position would be selling players in the roles those two occupy. We can bitch about a lot of things - legimately - regarding Hex and Sully, but not being a seller right now is not one of them.

It is not something anyone does when playoff revenue is likely right there in front of us, and our main players would hate it fiercely too.
This team's playoff chances aren't dramatically affected by shipping those two out, and they make no sense for this team to re-sign in the summer. Better to get some relatively significant assets to use or to flip for better options in the future than to hang on to them with white knuckle grip.

And yes, I realize this team won't move them. But if we're talking about what's most realistically gonna happen, this is gonna get real dull, real fast.

Reactions: Pens1566 and Pens x

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
This team's playoff chances aren't dramatically affected by shipping those two out, and they make no sense for this team to re-sign in the summer. Better to get some relatively significant assets to use to flip for better options in the future than to hang on to them with white knuckle grip.

And yes, I realize this team won't move them. But if we're talking about what's most realistically gonna happen, this is gonna get real dull, real fast.

Playoff chances are not dramatically changed because we are not expected to get past the 1st round anyway. But the team is obviously quite a bit worse.

Personally, I find it really boring talking at length about Penguins trade scenarios/strategies that would not be considered by any GM in the league were they in our position, much less our own.

But well, different strokes and all that.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
@rt said he'd do a deal with 1st, 1st, 2nd, Pickering, Kapanen (replace him with someone else) for those 2.
I don't really wanna give up a package like that for a guy I'm not sure has a legitimate spot/role on this blueline. Who does Chychrun play with? Letang's as bad as I can ever remember him being this season and I don't know what Chychrun does to fix that--though maybe letting Letang settle into a more defensive role would be better than asking him to try and go full bore at both ends of the ice. Petry doesn't seem like a good partner for the dude. I sure as shit don't want to do that deal just to play Chychrun on the 3rd pairing.

Playoff chances are not dramatically changed because we are not expected to get past the 1st round anyway. But the team is obviously quite a bit worse.

Personally, I find it really boring talking at length about Penguins trade scenarios/strategies that would not be considered by any GM in the league were they in our position, much less our own.

But well, different strokes and all that.
Yeah, it's far less boring to kick around what the three of Zucker, Dumo and Jarry will be getting from this team when they're re-signed in the summer, two months into golfing. :laugh:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don't really wanna give up a package like that for a guy I'm not sure has a legitimate spot/role on this blueline. Who does Chychrun play with? Letang's as bad as I can ever remember him being this season and I don't know what Chychrun does to fix that--though maybe letting Letang settle into a more defensive role would be better than asking him to try and go full bore at both ends of the ice. Petry doesn't seem like a good partner for the dude. I sure as shit don't want to do that deal just to play Chychrun on the 3rd pairing.

Yeah, it's far less boring to kick around what the three of Zucker, Dumo and Jarry will be getting from this team when they're re-signed in the summer, two months into golfing. :laugh:
Chychrun would not be on the 3rd pair, if he is Sully has waaaay bigger problems then misusing players.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
At these prices? Sell, baby, sell. Thanks for your efforts Zucker, Dumolin, Blueger, McGinn
They are tied with Buffalo in winning% for WC teams. They are not selling. These prices aren’t crazy beside Jeannot who is a unique player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad