GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline II: You wanted trades!? Well you got trades! *Mod warning post 623*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
The Penguins pass yet another small timeline and do the worst trade deadlines moves again... Does not make sense what this team is doing. Sorry fellas they have become a mess.

Reactions: Pens x and Andy99

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Wonder if Stevie Y was gonna flip JVR to Pitt or something like that (I don’t see how)

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
The Penguins pass yet another small timeline and do the worst trade deadlines moves again... Does not make sense what this team is doing. Sorry fellas they have become a mess.
I'm tired of Hextall and would love a clean out of the FO/Coaching.

BUT he did remove the rough contracts and made us have more cash for the offseason. Granlund is the only move this deadline that was a downer with price paid and no retention.

Bonino and Kulikov are just fine with me for this run...maybe Kulikov can sign cheap next year.

Reactions: Rave7215 and Pens x

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Rossi doesn’t think Kulikov is good enough for Sullys system

Starting to think there’s a shrine to Sully on his dresser and a dartboard with Hextalls face on it
Isn't it most if not all of the Pens media, Burke, Mario, and FSG? With the alter of wankdom for Mike Sullivan?

Wonder if Stevie Y was gonna flip JVR to Pitt or something like that (I don’t see how)
I don't know if Yzerman even knows what he's doing in Detroit right now.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Depends what contract he will accept. If the cap hit fits our needs the next two seasons after this, do you think we are likely to get a better player in free agency?

The usual way to get a promising cost controlled younger forward (other than developing one) is to deal a better, older and more expensive one. Best shot at that is likely Guentzel, which will make good sense asset management wise.

Our version of the Eichel deal from Buffalo to Vegas. Love what Guentzel has been for us, but not giving him more… and not losing him for nothing.
Yes, I would be either 1) all over signing Meier if he Goes to market and/or 2) trading Jake this summer for an A prospect and top notch RFA/ELC player…that’s we need: young speedy legs in the lineup…nothing we can do about Rust at this point but I was not eager to sign him either last summer and wanted him to walk…I’d waive goodbye to Zucker regardless of contract demands

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Yes, I would be either 1) all over signing Meier if he Goes to market and/or 2) trading Jake this summer for an A prospect and top notch RFA/ELC player…that’s we need: young speedy legs in the lineup…nothing we can do about Rust at this point but I was not eager to sign him either last summer and wanted him to walk…
Maybe Granlund shows enough we could offload him and backfill with Puus....gives us a boat load to spend elsewhere. That ain't happening though.

I'm all over a Guentzel revamp trade.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So all of the media outlets have the Pens as the biggest losers of the deadline.

:thumbu:
Yes, saw this…lol

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/2023-nhl ... ers-losers

Loser: Pittsburgh Penguins
Ron Hextall certainly made moves at the trade deadline, but not the ones fans wanted him to make. At the deadline, the Penguins acquired Dmitry Kulikov, Nick Bonino, and Mikael Granlund, all fringe players over 30 who expect to bring very little to the table compared to what the team needs. Kulikov seems to be the only player with upside, helped by the fact that Pittsburgh also got out from under Brock McGinn’s bad contract with the deal.

The Penguins have been playing better as of late, but for awhile they were looking incredibly tragic. Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin are having absolutely stellar seasons and there are only so many years left of this Penguins core before they’re set to ride off into the sunset. Instead of swinging for the fences on a deal — the Penguins were in on J.T. Miller but talks cooled off — Hextall didn’t add much of value as his team sits in a precarious wild card spot.

If you’re a Penguins fan, it’s hard to be happy with what management cooked up at the deadline compared to the deals other teams made.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
The more I think about it, if there had been appreciable retention on the Granlund deal, Hex would have quietly had a very good deadline. In the end it is so-so, as there wasn’t.

Also, he did try for more significant adds (the right ones if we were to gamble), but if rumours are to be believed, Arizona prioritized Ottawa’s picks and Allvin/JR are what we know them to be.

Ultimately, we are a better, more defined, team now. With some inconsequential players with term gone, and experienced role players coming in, two of three being UFA. At virtuelly no cost. The biggest improvement will be if this lifts other guys.

So, we got ourselves a better shot at surprising without overcomitting in a season where the roster didn’t earn it and it would have been impossible to look on par with the best teams anyway.
A likely road to the final reads: 2nd placed team in the NHL, 3-6th placed team in the NHL, 1st placed team in the NHL.

If we can have a functional PP and a bit of luck with Jarry, this team can make noise as easily as it can be ousted in 5 in the first round.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yes, saw this…lol

Ron Hextall certainly made moves at the trade deadline, but not the ones fans wanted him to make. At the deadline, the Penguins acquired Dmitry Kulikov, Nick Bonino, and Mikael Granlund, all fringe players over 30 who expect to bring very little to the table compared to what the team needs. Kulikov seems to be the only player with upside, helped by the fact that Pittsburgh also got out from under Brock McGinn’s bad contract with the deal.

The Penguins have been playing better as of late, but for awhile they were looking incredibly tragic. Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin are having absolutely stellar seasons and there are only so many years left of this Penguins core before they’re set to ride off into the sunset. Instead of swinging for the fences on a deal — the Penguins were in on J.T. Miller but talks cooled off — Hextall didn’t add much of value as his team sits in a precarious wild card spot.

If you’re a Penguins fan, it’s hard to be happy with what management cooked up at the deadline compared to the deals other teams made.
I think that writeup is a bit dramatic. And overly critical.

But your last statement, I definitely think that succinctly sums up what many Pen's fans feel.

Reactions: Rave7215 and Andy99

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
I'm tired of Hextall and would love a clean out of the FO/Coaching.

BUT he did remove the rough contracts and made us have more cash for the offseason. Granlund is the only move this deadline that was a downer with price paid and no retention.

Bonino and Kulikov are just fine with me for this run...maybe Kulikov can sign cheap next year.
He removed what he did and did it again.... Granlund should have had retained salary..

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yes, saw this…lol

Calling Granlund a "fringe" player is rather odd. I'm not a fan of the deal because of the contract, but he has 36 points in 59 games. That's a 50-point pace. He's a solid middle 6 winger.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I give this deadline a B+ on the basis of the players added but drop it a full letter grade on the basis of Granlund's contract with no retention.

The identified need was to give the bottom 6 a bit less "sameyness" and also to make them less comfortable. I liked Blueger and got crap for it, I even liked McGinn. But the group as it was was way too comfortable considering how cruddy they were. Carter needed demoted. I feel more confident that will happen. Bonino may be uninspiring but he still plays with a lot of heart from everything that's been said. We still have 2 bottom 6 burners in DOC and Poehling and a "hit everything that moves" guy in Archibald. It's a different mix and we already saw the benefit of just making them uncomfortable with the movement of Kapanen. Kapanen was of our best bottom 6 players in a vacuum but the group collectively was a losing entity.

I like the Kulikov pickup but I'll just say this. POJ hasn't been a perfect player but he's one of the highest potential under-25 players in this entire organization (low bar, I know). It shouldn't be a given that he's dropped for the playoffs. I would like to see him given an honest chance. At some point you have to be thrown in the pool.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
We get to play them a bunch soon...so we shall see.

I can kinda get on board with you but Kane shreds the Pens.
Outside shot we could pass up Rangers in the standing. Very slim, but possible. Would have to win all 3 games vs. them. And our game in hand. I don't see it, but one can dream.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Calling Granlund a "fringe" player is rather odd. I'm not a fan of the deal because of the contract, but he has 36 points in 59 games. That's a 50-point pace. He's a solid middle 6 winger.
Ya you want to try to retain his contract down by adding some other piece and then you get another piece in return.. like the same stuff all over again they did with McGinn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad