GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline II: You wanted trades!? Well you got trades! *Mod warning post 623*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
i mean i would have done anything i could to move a D, then give Ari a deal they wanted
That's my style of GMing. Wheel and deal to get what you truly want otherwise, why bother.

It might just be the case that there was really nothing you could do to convince Arizona to go with your offer over the Senators offer, though.

It might have just been the potential of a high 1st in the 2023 draft outweighed whatever other picks the Penguins, Kings or whoever else could be offering.
This could be true as well, can't force someone to trade with you.

"I'll give you 3 straight 1sts"

Sorry I value a higher 1st this year over the others.

Problem is Ottawa might just clutch out a playoff spot, thanks in part to that trade. Thus negating the better pick.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
So here's how our draft capital looks after all the chaos:

2023: We have a first, a third (New Jersey's), a 5th, a 6th, three 7ths (Toronto's, Florida's, Ours)

2024: We have a first a second, a third (Vegas'), a fourth, a fifth, a sixth, a seventh.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg

2023: We have a first, a third (New Jersey's), a 5th, a 6th, three 7ths (Toronto's, Florida's, Ours)

2024: We have a first a second, a third (Vegas'), a fourth, a fifth, a sixth, a seventh.
we traded a 2023 7th for Bonino

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It might just be the case that there was really nothing you could do to convince Arizona to go with your offer over the Senators offer, though.

It might have just been the potential of a high 1st in the 2023 draft outweighed whatever other picks the Penguins, Kings or whoever else could be offering.

I think the heaviest part was not taking salary back., as @IcedCapp said, trade out a D-man to open the space, things might have been much harder on the Coyotes.

They gave up that (Currently) 13th 2023 1st pick considering they are not in on a top 5 pick. A 2024 1st round pick considering they will not make the ECF's, and a 2026 2nd round pick.

Considering Ottawa will be on the rise, I doubt these "all picks" are going to be that much better. Making the salary not coming back the deciding factor. That's not knowing the full price the Pens were willing to do. I'd imagine they were willing to do 1st x 2 + 2nd + Pickering. Might even had more to take back salary.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

For a team trying to win it that’s not half bad.

Reactions: Turin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Our 7th is gone in 2023.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Pens are back to having at least some flexibility in the summer for sure. Next three firsts and about 20 mil in space.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm happy they were able to get out of the Kap and McGinn deals. I'm less happy they used that cap on Grandlund's contract for two more years.

Indifferent about Kulikov and Bonino. Not a fan of Granlund but what's done is done. /shrug

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

We traded our own 2023 7th to the Sharks and our 2024 5th to the Habs for the retention.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
My goal for their off-season would be for them to re-sign Zucker and build the forward group based on this:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Zucker-Malkin-Granlund
O'Connor-3C-Rust
Poehling-Carter-4RW

You have a lot of flexibility with this roster to do some interesting things with that 3C spot. I love an O'Connor-Rust wing duo on a defensive 3rd line on paper, so if you get the right center there, you might have a really strong 3rd line that actually fits how Sullivan wants to use his 3rd line.
Sundqvist?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
My goal for the off-season is to get a GM who will rip off teams with our cap space.

Pillage the league for a goaltender, top six LW and let every one of our UFAs walk unless Zucker will take 3 mil x 3.
Yeah it's what I been saying. Teams get players cheap because the other team is against the cap, not us.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
GCRR
X-G-Rust
DOC-X-Granlund
Poehling-Carter-X

Petts-Tang
POJ-Petry
X-Ruuta
Ruh

X
DeSmith

21M of space so let's say:
Jarry(comp) 6M
Zucker(comp) 5M
Hallander ~1M
Smith 1M
3C ~ 4M

If I'm not mistaken that leaves us around a 4M cushion. Kind of exciting with the possibilities.

Reactions: Rave7215

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Man, why do people want to resign Zucker? He’s playing great now but it’s a contract year…every year GMs and fans get deceived by that..he’s also injury prone and on the wrong side of 30…would it hurt to get some wings, like other teams have, who are 24-28 to play with our old centers? I want to move out Granlund and not resign Zucker and let’s try to trade or sign some younger players for the top nine…or bring up Puustinen

Reactions: td_ice

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Man, why do people want to resign Zucker? He’s playing great now but it’s a contract year…every year GMs and fans get deceived by that..he’s also injury prone and on the wrong side of 30…would it hurt to get some wings, like other teams have, who are 24-28 to play with our old centers? I want to move out Granlund and not resign Zucker and let’s try to trade or sign some younger players for the top nine…or bring up Puustinen
I was saying a comparable player if not him, similar cost. Find a good player lol.

I'd be all about offloading Granlunds 5M and replacing him with Puus. That's just completely unrealistic...having DOC as 3LW is a big enough stretch.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yeah I don't get it.

On the Pens post game show (radio) last night, the host was talking about this. He said, "man teams are gonna line up to pay Zucker". I was like, what?!??!! If he is going to get over paid, I hope it's not here. For the reasons you list.

Reactions: Andy99

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Yeah I don't get it.

On the Pens post game show (radio) last night, the host was talking about this. He said, "man teams are gonna line up to pay Zucker". I was like, what?!??!! If he is going to get over paid, I hope it's not here. For the reasons you list.
I'd bet you if he finishes strong this season someone would give him 6M for 4 years or whatever.

I love his game but understand the problem with him.

Issue may be who are your options...overpaying Bertuzzi? I assume Meier is resigned by NJ. The other FAs are crap from what I can tell at first glance.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Depends what contract he will accept. If the cap hit fits our needs the next two seasons after this, do you think we are likely to get a better player in free agency?

The usual way to get a promising cost controlled younger forward (other than developing one) is to deal a better, older and more expensive one. Best shot at that is likely Guentzel, which will make good sense asset management wise.

Our version of the Eichel deal from Buffalo to Vegas. Love what Guentzel has been for us, but not giving him more… and not losing him for nothing.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I'd bet you if he finishes strong this season someone would give him 6M for 4 years or whatever.

I love his game but understand the problem with him.

Issue may be who are your options...overpaying Bertuzzi? I assume Meier is resigned by NJ. The other FAs are crap from what I can tell at first glance.
I mean it's possible. It only takes one team to sign him. And we all know that during Free agency, many bad contracts are born.

Yeah, not sure what the other options are, but don't want Zucker back with big term. The way he plays is condemnable, but his body is going to continue to keep breaking down with age.

Reminds me of Bud Dupree. He came on at the end, and got paid. But just showed it for one year here. Like Zucker. This one year isn't enough to convince me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad