GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline II: You wanted trades!? Well you got trades! *Mod warning post 623*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Fine but the other moves didn’t mean we needed to get Granlund. Why not do the other ones and not this one? Plenty of rental forwards that could have upgraded bottom 6 around the same assets.
Some just want to shake their fist & scream at the sky, Rather than accept that the Dynasty is Over

Reactions: Ryder71

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think the Penguins did go hard after Chychrun, Arizona just went with the Ottawa deal because Ottawa offered the highest pick and didn't send any money back.

LA apparently offered Bjornfot and 2 1sts for Chychrun, but that wasn't enough for Arizona. I think Arizona just had a specific thing in mind that they wanted for Chychrun that Ottawa somehow got the closest to.
i mean i would have done anything i could to move a D, then give Ari a deal they wanted

Reactions: Lustaf

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
i mean i would have done anything i could to move a D, then give Ari a deal they wanted

It might just be the case that there was really nothing you could do to convince Arizona to go with your offer over the Senators offer, though.

It might have just been the potential of a high 1st in the 2023 draft outweighed whatever other picks the Penguins, Kings or whoever else could be offering.

Reactions: Lustaf and Rave7215

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Not a fan of the Granlund trade, and would have happily paid that price to swap Chychrun and Dumoulin for almost even money, but...

Carter, McGinn, Kapanen and Blueger were all under performing. 3/4 are gone and Carter could hypothetically be a healthy scratch now, though I doubt Sully does it. That counts as a bottom 6 re-tool in my book.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Not a fan of the Granlund trade, and would have happily paid that price to swap Chychrun and Dumoulin for almost even money, but...

Carter, McGinn, Kapanen and Blueger were all under performing. 3/4 are gone and Carter could hypothetically be a healthy scratch now, though I doubt Sully does it. That counts as a bottom 6 re-tool in my book.

I feel like a lot of people are underwriting Bonino’s addition too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like a lot of people are underwriting Bonino’s addition too.

Yeah he has 10 goals and 19 points on the year while he has been a bit hot since the new year started (6 goals and 10 points in 24 games). I think he's a pretty clear upgrade on Blueger, able to provide all of the defense Blueger provided while also providing some secondary scoring.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Sleepy did alright considering that Boeser/Miller would have arrived instead of Granlund. I would have prefered neither option and got Chychryn instead. But it wasn't meant to be.
When Granlund fails it won't be that hard to get rid at the next tdl with only 1 year left on the contract.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah he has 10 goals and 19 points on the year while he has been a bit hot since the new year started (6 goals and 10 points in 24 games). I think he's a pretty clear upgrade on Blueger, able to provide all of the defense Blueger provided while also providing some secondary scoring.

I think Bones is largely a wing now, but I think a Bonino - Poehling / DOC - Archibald line will do a lot better than it did with Teddy or Caggs.

I also think he’ll be hungry to come back and play here.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yinz dahn?

NQrZgB3.png

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Can't wait til JR does something at the draft like trade Miller and Van's 1st for Pettersson, Granlund and the Pens 1st, and the Pens get Michkov or somethin.

Kind of annoying that the Pens TDL was somewhat stifled by two inept franchises' ownership mandates.

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yeah I tend to agree. He’s not gonna tell us if actually tried to move a D. Not his MO whatsoever (dude loves secrecy) and definitely not something he’d wanna air out to the press.

penguinsnomad

Mar 1, 2023
I'm amazed Hextall did nothing in the goaltending department. You can't convince me that say, a Reimer for DeSmith swap as a part of the Bonino deal would have been that much more expensive. If we lose because of another goaltending health meltdown, I'm going to have an aneurysm.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

But yes, obviously Hextall is the only one who has any say on the roster decisions. It's totally not Sullivan that isn't playing young guys, it's just Hextall's fault because he won't call up those guys!

This just sounds like the people who are going to criticize the Kulikov trade because "Sullivan is scratching POJ for Kulikov", as if it's Hextall's fault for giving Sullivan Kulikov and not Sullivan's fault for being a dumbass and making dumb lineup decisions.

the thing with hexy is that we don't know what is going on behind the scene. with hexy being silent we just go by what others say (who don't know either) and/or assume things that we really don't know. and you all know what happens when you "assume" things. but it does make him an easy target.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Sounds like the Yotes screwed up. Had better offers on the table but played hard ball and teams pivoted. Not sure how much truth there is to it but that's what's out there.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
I think we wasted picks on a half hearted attempt to make it past the first round.. If your going to get Granlund at least find someone you can afford that is about 27 years of age and can score 15 - 18 goal range that will cost you a 2nd and a 3rd rounder.. Start a deal with that team.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Well, on paper, we upgraded the bottom 6 and upgraded the defense. This is two out of the three things people said they wanted two weeks ago.
If we'd never been linked to Chychrun or Miller, I think people would've been satisfied with these moves.

I'm amazed Hextall did nothing in the goaltending department. You can't convince me that say, a Reimer for DeSmith swap as a part of the Bonino deal would have been that much more expensive. If we lose because of another goaltending health meltdown, I'm going to have an aneurysm.
Believe it or not, DeSmith has arguably played better than Reimer this season, so Reimer wouldn't necessarily have been an upgrade.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sounds like the Yotes screwed up. Had better offers on the table but played hard ball and teams pivoted. Not sure how much truth there is to it but that's what's out there.
Who knows but yeah, I find it hard to believe that there were no teams that could be 1st + 2 2nds. Even when not sending salary back or asking for retention.

That's well below the 3 1sts value initially set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad