GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
So is the idea to slot JJ in as #1C until Crosby is back? He has to be better in that role than TK...

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Thanks! Clearly Rutherford's compensating for the Recchi trade's contribution to your '06 Cup.

Heh. Well I swing both ways - I was a Pens fan long before I moved to Raleigh and became a 'Canes fan too. I remember the brutal Pens years all too well. I remember actually being semi-excited over getting Lasse Pirjeta once upon a time.

But if that's what JR's doing, I wonder who he ships to St. Louis to compensate for the Doug Weight trade. Although file under "what the hell ever happened to" - Krys Kolanos what became of him?

sirMcDuck

Feb 19, 2006
Jussi Jokinen will not do anything for you if he plays in 4th line. He can't play grinder-role. You can see from the stats what happens when his game-time is reduced.

Huge steal still for Penguins

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think maybe I should change my screen name... :sarcasm: I guess this deal is OK, except for having way too many forwards now.

Does anyone know WHY the Pens seem to dislike Vitale?? I don't get it; he seems better than Kennedy and Jeffrey at this point. :( Maybe the latter two were being kept in the lineup in the hope they'd increase their trade value?

Is Vitale UFA after this season or next season?

It's not dislike for Vitale, it's a man crush on Kennedy.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Do you know who wins a greater % of their draws than JJ and Crosby?

Joe Vitale

Werd.

So is the idea to slot JJ in as #1C until Crosby is back? He has to be better in that role than TK...

Unquestionably that was the reason for this trade. Right now:

Kunitz - Jokinen - Dupuis (improves faceoffs and scoring chances)
Iggy - Geno - Neal (Neal will get slotted back at RW -- Iggy will adapt to LW better than Neal)
Morrow - Sutter - Cooke
Glass - Adams - Kennedy
Vitale

Later:

Kunitz - Sid - Dupuis
Iggy - Geno - Neal
Morrow / Jokinen - Sutter - Cooke
Jokinen / Morrow - Adams - Kennedy
Vitale

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
I keep TK and try to move him around the draft, possibly packaged with Nisky...

I mean if all forwards are healthy you could go into the playoffs with, assuming that JJ finds his game post trade,

Kunitz, Sid, Duper
Iggy, Geno, Neal
Morrow Sutter JJ
Cooke, Adams/Vitale, TK

That is unreal depth

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I like this deal a lot !

I don't like his contract though. Even Canes retain 50%, which is max, it's $1.5M cap hit for the next season.

That could make a problem to re-sign Dupuis AND Iginla, unless we trade, eg. Orpik, which I don't see TBH, or we buy Jokinen out after the season.

I really believe he replaces Kennedy next year.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
I know travel in the East is horrible... any chance he can make it to New York from Carolina in the next couple of days? lol

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yep. He is a cheaper third line forward who adds some scoring ability, sort of like Kennedy.

and has shown more ability to step into a top 6 role even just temporarily. And being able to play any forward position and also on both special teams is good stuff.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
"So Shero, did you envision these sorts of moves last draft day when you traded Jordan Staal?"

"No, of course not. I can't see into the future...."

shero.gif

I just laughed enough, that my gf asked WHAT!? what is it?

Good move Ray.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Another former Dallas Star.

I'll go out on a limb now and say he's the new "Niskanen". Meaning, not really a big deal when acquired but will regain a lot of previous form with the Pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad