Speculation: Penguins to get new jerseys for 2016-2017 season (starting with home playoff games)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I disagree with that. I prefer simpler, clean jerseys. I like Tampa's jerseys, and Dallas has the best set in the league. I like Carolina's white set. I like the design of the reds too, I just don't like that much red. The Kings are fine, but they really need some damn color in there.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Idk, I really hate the "minimalist" phase that the jerseys have been switching to of late. Examples: The newest jerseys for the Hurricanes, Stars, Kings, Lightning, and maybe a couple others. Those Canes jerseys are horrendous, and the Lightning and Kings are just boring. Stars are acceptable I guess, if only because they're one of few teams using Green.

Overall not a bad time for jerseys, but the minimalist movement needs to stop.
I like the trend as a whole, but I agree about the Canes. Their old unis weren't great or anything, but the warning flag motif was unique and one of a kind. Now they're just Generic Red Team #4 or whatever.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
I should elaborate, I'm fine with a "simple design", and much prefer simpler designs to complex ones (e.g. most 90's jerseys, Thrashers old uni, Panthers 00's ones etc were all awful).

For great simple designs, I cite the iconic Pens jerseys, the Bruins, Habs, Blues, North Stars as examples. But the mentality now, at least with the newest Canes, Stars, Kings and Bolts, was "Make the whole jersey the same solid color and slap a single white stripe on it somewhere." That's just lazy and not creative at all.

There's a middle ground between the new minimalist jerseys and the overly complex jerseys that needs to be found. I like the Jets uniforms, and they're relatively simple, yet not absolutely boring like those other 4.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
thumb.aspx

dallas-stars-reebok-edge-premier-adult-hockey-jersey-1.jpg

I like both, but definitely prefer Dallas. I like the one thick arm stripe vs the two thinner ones. And it has just as many different colors as the Jets jersey does not counting the logo itself.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I just wish they'd actually design something, rather than just rehashing the 90s jerseys.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
thumb.aspx

I like both, but definitely prefer Dallas. I like the one thick arm stripe vs the two thinner ones. And it has just as many different colors as the Jets jersey does not counting the logo itself.

I think the main differences for my like of one and not the other are:

1. I love the new Jets logo, not fond of the Stars logo.
2. I don't like the black stripes with that shade of green.
3. Considering how great the North Stars jerseys were, these are mediocre in comparison.

I still much prefer the Stars jerseys to the other 3 I mentioned, and they're at least a step up from the basketball jerseys they were wearing before. Can't say I'm close to a fan of them though.

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
Wearing the traditional black and gold just feels right. The Steelers, Pirates, and Pens are all aligned once again.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think the main differences for my like of one and not the other are:

1. I love the new Jets logo, not fond of the Stars logo.
2. I don't like the black stripes with that shade of green.
3. Considering how great the North Stars jerseys were, these are mediocre in comparison.

I still much prefer the Stars jerseys to the other 3 I mentioned, and they're at least a step up from the basketball jerseys they were wearing before. Can't say I'm close to a fan of them though.

I like the Black and Green a lot. And I don't like the blue with other blue on the Jets jerseys. And if we are deducting points because of jerseys from the past were better, the Jets should absolutely lose points too. The old Jets jerseys were absolutely better than these ones.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here. I think Dallas has the best jerseys in the league.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
I like the Black and Green a lot. And I don't like the blue with other blue on the Jets jerseys. And if we are deducting points because of jerseys from the past were better, the Jets should absolutely lose points too. The old Jets jerseys were absolutely better than these ones.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here. I think Dallas has the best jerseys in the league.

True! We can't all have the same taste. I can at least agree that classic Jets > current Jets unis.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Think it's interesting that out of all the teams that let the Edge patterns dictate a new jersey, pretty much everyone has ditched them already. After we switch over, pretty sure it will be just the Senators left standing.

You just can't improve on traditional hockey jerseys. They're just awesome.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
thumb.aspx

Why the Green? Cowboys and Mavs are White blue Silver. Is that because of the Minnesota North Stars legacy? I don't get it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Why the Green? Cowboys and Mavs are White blue Silver. Is that because of the Minnesota North Stars legacy? I don't get it.

Probably. They've been some version of green the whole time. Pittsburgh is one of the only cities (maybe only) that all sports teams have same colors. In Dallas the Rangers are red white and blue so it's not just the Stars that are different.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Pittsburgh is the only city with 3+ major teams using the same color scheme.

You also have to remember that the Dallas Mavericks were blue & green when the Stars moved there, too. The Mavs' color change didn't come until they moved into the new arena, nearly a decade after the Stars moved to town.
mavs92.jpg

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I guess I've got to have to start considering the Islanders a NYC team now, eh? First season they've actually played within the 5 boroughs...the Devils were closer before.

So, New York is the second city to do that...but it's still 3/8 instead of 3/3.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

When the Stars moved to Dallas, the Spurs were green still. And the North Stars were already green. At the time, the Cowboys were the odd team out in terms of color. It made sense to be green. And there's not enough history of white blue and silver in Dallas as a whole to justify changing a great look.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
I guess I've got to have to start considering the Islanders a NYC team now, eh? First season they've actually played within the 5 boroughs...the Devils were closer before.

I'd say that's the only reason that they might not 'count' in this equation. They've never been a NYC team until now. And it's looking like they're not going to remain a NYC team forever.

Rangers, Giants and Yankees almost makes the cut. But Yankees just don't wear a jersey with the same colors as their logo.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

The Lakers and Kings used to match too. But I don't think it was ever more than those two.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Yeah, on those ones I think I'd actually just get rid of the thin yellow stripe.

Never even noticed the yellow stripe around the waist. Yeah, it doesn't look like it belongs, and it's just kinda floating there. :laugh: Make the black stripe thicker and eliminate the yellow stripe, and I think you're good to go.

When the Stars moved to Dallas, the Spurs were green still. And the North Stars were already green. At the time, the Cowboys were the odd team out in terms of color. It made sense to be green. And there's not enough history of white blue and silver in Dallas as a whole to justify changing a great look.

Not a fan of the NBA at all, but when were the San Antonio Spurs green?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad