Speculation: Penguins to get new jerseys for 2016-2017 season (starting with home playoff games)

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Icethics is the go-to source for jersey news. Says next season the Penguins will get new sweaters.

http://www.icethetics.co/blog/nhl-jerseywatch-2016

penssss_zpsq6aaakc5.png

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Really hoping this is true. Icethetics is always on the ball, and I can't see them doing anything else.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah he knows his stuff and has connections as well. We are long overdue to replace the ugly Edge template we've had and try something unique. While I wouldn't mind making out thirds the regular jersey, I kind of want to see something new and fresh.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
This is exciting. So I suppose the question is now do I go with a Geno home and Phil away or vice versa?

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
Hopefully this happens. Those pens 3rds are a thing of beauty. Pens upgrade that to home and away and their jerseys are easily top 5 in the league. Now if only some other teams upgraded their jerseys (Calgary, Tampa, Ottawa, etc.)

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
So basically these new jerseys will only be worn for one season?

Nah, not necessarily. Adidas just has the rights for the jerseys once the contract with Reebok expires. I imagine that any team that still uses the "Edge" style will no longer wear them once Adidas has the rights. It happened in the NFL recently when Reebok lost the rights to Nike. Most teams like the Steelers kept the same jerseys that they always have, but some teams like the Bucs got new ones. I'm pretty sure that the manufacturer has no say in the uniforms, but they probably can make suggestions and come up with ideas for new ones. Like I said before, the only exception would likely be the edge style jerseys since those are Reebok's designs. So basically if the Pens go with their 3rds as the primary uni's they will most likely keep them for a while.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
About damn time. Obviously the ideal is a white version of the current third, but as long as there's horizontal stripes I'll be happy.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Definitely make the current alternate the regular home. Use a similar white version for away games. And bring back a version of this bad boy (the jersey, not the hair style):

Jagrs.jpg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If they don't make the 3rd jerseys our mains, I'm going to be massively disappointed. Although after the public support for those jerseys, I have no idea how they can't. Didn't the Pens do the same thing with the 2003-2007 Penguins jerseys, where it was their 3rds and was made into their mains?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Good. Our regulars suck.

Agreed.

That dull, baby food yellow/gold is awful.

Stick with the current thirds as home jerseys, and whip up a negative version in white as the away jersey. Boom, problem solved, and you instantly have the best jerseys in the league.

And for as much as I hate this organization, I'd probably buy one, because they're ****ing beautiful. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Not as long as Mario is around, thank God.

Heh... good point. But yeah, to be serious, it'll be nice (I hope) to have those thirds as the full time jerseys. They're just about perfect. At least to my taste. I've never really warmed up to the "Vegas Gold" *********.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't have an issue with the Vegas Gold. It had its time though. Time to move back to more traditional colors now that they have been used.

And no to Robo and that Ranger knock off. Not that I hated the style of the diagonal lettering. I owned one once. Robo kills everything. I sold off all my stuff that came with it except one Item I truly love and it is one little pigeon. Even though I told my then girl friend/wife I hated it, she still bought me a leather jacket with it and other stuff with it. I never bought one thing personally with that horrible logo/design.

My CCM pullover has a tiny pigeon on the arm. Just too lazy to buy a new logo patch and cover it.

Oh, and how ironic, I asked for the 3rd gold with Kessel and I don't get it for my birthday. Come to think of it....I got nothing. Welcome to parenthood/getting old.

Get what you don't want and don't get what you do want.

I don't want the Pens to win the cup. There....

Thank me later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad