Speculation: Penguins to get new jerseys for 2016-2017 season (starting with home playoff games)

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
These have been and always will be my favorite Pens jersey:

PIT_1995-02_DARK.jpg

Would love them to go back to a jersey like that, then I could actually get one. Could never afford one of them as a kid. :(

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
And I wouldn't mind a new third with Vegas gold. Something completely new. Merchandise looks better or at least more everyday wearable in Vegas gold IMO and they wouldn't have to recover seats and repaint the arena immediately.

Plus a new third equals more $$

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

PIT_1995-02_DARK.jpg

Would love them to go back to a jersey like that, then I could actually get one. Could never afford one of them as a kid. :(

hmm. Everyone has different taste, but those are you favorite? That seems like an odd jersey to be a favorite.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
And I wouldn't mind a new third with Vegas gold. Something completely new. Merchandise looks better or at least more everyday wearable in Vegas gold IMO and they wouldn't have to recover seats and repaint the arena immediately.

Plus a new third equals more $$

Yeah, I'm ok with Vegas gold, but not as the main jersey color. Hell... I kinda liked those stadium series ones. Just make them not shiny.

penguins-stadium-series-article.jpg

#kunitzwasthere

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
hmm. Everyone has different taste, but those are you favorite? That seems like an odd jersey to be a favorite.

They are my favorite alternates that we had as well besides the current one which we brought back from the early 90's. I would put these as our 3rd, always loved the stitching on these jerseys.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

PIT_1995-02_DARK.jpg

1. Sublimated gradients. Never acceptable.
2. Gray? The ****. That's not one of our colors.
3. What the hell is going on with the yoke? That's just awful. Stripes within gradients?
4. Lop-sided sleeves. This may be the biggest thing for me...I don't know what the hell is going on with that left sleeve, but it's ****ing awful.
5. No hem striping.
6. The central stripe is definitively Montreal's look. If I'm going to ***** & moan about the diagonal 'PITTSURGH' jersey completely aping New York's look, I have to bring this part up. At least they made it look utterly ridiculous to avoid making it look like such a direct rip-off...I guess.
7. The logo. Not a design flaw of the jersey, just a design flaw of the era.
8. The weird, stupid, godawful middle stripe having two elements that eventually have to meet means that it looks horrible in the back for basically every jersey number except '1'.
17638.jpg

Literally the only thing that I don't utterly despise about that jersey is that they didn't **** up the number font.

This is the jersey that I most associate with my childhood...still doesn't make me feel any warm & fuzzies about it.

Last edited:

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Y U NO USE "SUDDEN DEATH" JERSEY?!!!!

Apologies/credit for whoever it was who mocked this up and posted it in a Pens uniform thread a while ago.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I like the Stadium Series ones, too. Just change the vegas gold to yellow gold and you are set. I don't mind the old ones - talking about the '90s whites but imho, there was always too much yellow/gold and not enough black on the jersey. Sorry....

Then they put even more yellow/gold at some point, on the whites - with the revised logo?

Imho, the black should still be the primary colour on the whites but with yellow gold on the sleeves/waist line and a bit on the shoulder if you want - the stadium series jersey (black shoulder, for e.g.) is the right idea, imho.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The white stadium series jerseys were a couple of small alterations (get rid of yoke gap in the back because Reebok wanted their name to stand out, sleeve stripes don't go all the way around, numbers way too tall because of being for an outdoors game, and the idiotic chrome logo) away from being really good.

No interest in revisiting them since the whites that we'll be getting will be better, but they were oddly close to being really good jerseys in their own right.

And count me as another who says the vegas gold needs to be shiny to be vegas gold. Our initial jerseys with them were fantastic...but Reebok changed the damn material being used and the cuts of the jerseys so we not only had to ditch an awesome design, but to adapt a dulled beige version of vegas gold.

Nothing has ever been made better by giving it a chrome look. That whole idea seems like a higher up at either Reebok or the NHL had just taken a PhotoShop course in the adult learning annex and thought it looked cool. Part of me expects to see ASCII art logos at some point. Hell, that'd be a massive improvement on the chrome.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Now that the Pens have their proper uniforms, I kinda want to take a moment to appreciate how good jerseys are in the league these days. Compare it to, say, 1996 or 1999. After Reebok took things to a generic place, there's now a lot of bold colors, decent logos, and of course the improved tailoring the the contemporary jerseys. Some classic looks remain (Wings, Habs, Rangers), some came back (Pens, Isles, Sabres, Oilers), and others I think are better than ever (Lightning, Stars, Flyers, Kings, Capitals, Predators, Sharks).

I'm just taking a mental snapshot before they all feature ads in some form.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Since Adidas is taking over jerseys in a couple years, I really hope they don't insert those stupid 3 stripes down the side. Or anywhere

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
I actually love the "robo-penguin" logo, possibly nostalgically since I became a Pens fan/hockey fan around the 99-00, but those jerseys were an abomination in my eyes. Cool to see different opinions though, and that there were folks who actually did like those.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Now that the Pens have their proper uniforms, I kinda want to take a moment to appreciate how good jerseys are in the league these days. Compare it to, say, 1996 or 1999. After Reebok took things to a generic place, there's now a lot of bold colors, decent logos, and of course the improved tailoring the the contemporary jerseys. Some classic looks remain (Wings, Habs, Rangers), some came back (Pens, Isles, Sabres, Oilers), and others I think are better than ever (Lightning, Stars, Flyers, Kings, Capitals, Predators, Sharks).

I'm just taking a mental snapshot before they all feature ads in some form.

Idk, I really hate the "minimalist" phase that the jerseys have been switching to of late. Examples: The newest jerseys for the Hurricanes, Stars, Kings, Lightning, and maybe a couple others. Those Canes jerseys are horrendous, and the Lightning and Kings are just boring. Stars are acceptable I guess, if only because they're one of few teams using Green.

Overall not a bad time for jerseys, but the minimalist movement needs to stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad