Post-Game Talk: Penguins team "coming in peace" Pens - 0 , Stars - 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
He was our most consistent d-man in 2011-2012. Remember him in 2009? Defensive stud. This lack of defense from him has only come out over the last year, maybe year and a half.

I think you're confusing "Defensive Stud" with "Fast as balls to be able to track his mistakes down".

I've never heard anyone, anywhere on TV, newspaper, internet column, radio, etc call Letang a "Defensive Stud".

And to use an argument that the Despres haters use all the time.... SHELTERED MINUTES

CrozJawz*

He was our most consistent d-man in 2011-2012. Remember him in 2009? Defensive stud. This lack of defense from him has only come out over the last year, maybe year and a half.

Perhaps he is putting pressure on himself to pick up the lack of scoring slack from the bottom 6...:sarcasm:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think you're confusing "Defensive Stud" with "Fast as balls to be able to track his mistakes down".

I've never heard anyone, anywhere on TV, newspaper, internet column, radio, etc call Letang a "Defensive Stud".

And to use an argument that the Despres haters use all the time.... SHELTERED MINUTES

The piece Kovacevic just wrote had Pens management labeling Letang as the best defenseman in the cup run. He wasn't playing a high-flying offensive role that year, so I doubt that was the reason for it.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
The piece Kovacevic just wrote had Pens management labeling Letang as the best defenseman in the cup run. He wasn't playing a high-flying offensive role that year, so I doubt that was the reason for it.

At the risk of angering the mighty IcedCapp, I will quote pixie again...

Best defenseman in a handful of games does not equal stud defenseman. It means he was playing at the top of his game for the playoffs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Best defenseman in a handful of games does not equal stud defenseman. It means he was playing at the top of his game for the playoffs.

Sorry, I don't go along with the endless stream of Letang bashing and how he can easily be replaced. The guy was consistently in Norris talks up to this year. The knock on him was never on his defensive play like Karlsson and Green until recently. Something has gone off with his game over the last year and a half, but for the majority of Letang's career he has not been a defensive liability. This was the feeling on this board for many years and our case for Letang over players like Karlsson that were just point machines. Now he takes a step back as he becomes one of the more targeted players in the league. Watch how much of a beating Letang takes night in and night out, he is the main target for every opposing forecheck. Your defense suffers when you have two guys on you at all time, look at Crosby.

CrozJawz*

Poise isn't a great word to describe almost any Pen, let alone one of our stars.

Good point.

Sid, Geno, Neal, and Letang are easily frustrated and tend to lose their cool when agitated.

Orpik tends to start skating around like chicken with his head cut off when the other team forechecks hard.

Fleury starts flopping like a fish out of water when the pressure is on.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Five ****ing years ago

CrozJawz*

Orpik was playing at the top of his game 5 years ago too...:p:

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I'm not sure anyone is saying he's "easily" replaced. His skill set is certainly unique and there aren't many out there like him. Unfortunately with Letang there's always a 'but'......... I'm sure you all know what the many buts are.

If we trade Letang and possibly get a number 1 wing for Sid and maybe an upgrade to the bottom 6 than that will improve the team more than just Letang being in the line up. Letang does certain things that will be missed, Letang does certain things that wouldn't be missed but the team could certainly perform well and win without him. That's been proven.

Now if we trade him for anything less than a stellar return then that's when you'll see people upset. Not upset he's gone in a way but upset that even as an asset he wasn't used properly.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
Great first page. Love all the sarcasm from the usual suspects.

:thumbu:

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009

I think you mean 10-11 when he really stepped up his game.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Sorry, I don't go along with the endless stream of Letang bashing and how he can easily be replaced. The guy was consistently in Norris talks up to this year. The knock on him was never on his defensive play like Karlsson and Green until recently. Something has gone off with his game over the last year and a half, but for the majority of Letang's career he has not been a defensive liability. This was the feeling on this board for many years and our case for Letang over players like Karlsson that were just point machines. Now he takes a step back as he becomes one of the more targeted players in the league. Watch how much of a beating Letang takes night in and night out, he is the main target for every opposing forecheck. Your defense suffers when you have two guys on you at all time, look at Crosby.

Letang has always had a question mark beside him in the defensive game department. His skating has always just allowed him to cover ice and make up for some of his mistakes, and there was a time where he looked to be turning the corner defensively. And he's regressed over the past 2 years, especially in playoffs, and this regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad