Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Tanev for way too long and way too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No. It's that I put more faith in Jesse understanding the validity of the #s than you. If you don't, that's not my problem. It's a you problem.

Your logical fallacy is appeal to authority

Oh god, that's like textbook appeal to authority. You don't have to be a writer for the Athletic to know that citing a 140 minute sample size, none of which came for an extended period of time, is a flawed way to judge players.

Reactions: td_ice

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I feel like Geno is likely gone in 3 years after his deals up. Hes gonna be 36 and probably wants to play a couple years in Russia while hes still good. Theres already nothing left for him to prove.
He'll still be trying to claw his way into the top 100.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Lol k. I’ll be sitting over here in January listening to these rational when you guys are flipping out over Tanev screwing Kahun and Gally out of their spots on the top six.

I mean...i don't really care for Gally.

Tanev outscored him at 5v5 last season...so maybe i actually prefer Tanev in the top six over Galy.

Kahun is a similar player to Tanev...top 9 depth scorer, they're very interchangeable. Idc who plays more or not.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Lowry is hardly a good offensive player. It's not like Tanev was getting spoonfed opportunities like Chiasson was with McDavid.

Still a looney tunes deal. It better freaking work. A rational GM negotiating a contract with this player would take into consideration that a bottom six talent having to play his nuts off to stay in the NHL might ease off when he gets 6 freaking years for more money than he could have imagined a few days ago.

Rust started showing signs of that this season and he went half a year without doing much of anything.

JJ best be gone.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think people will be surprised at who gets taken, like what happened with Vegas. Especially if GMJR goes to Seattle. :laugh:

Maybe my memory betrays but I don't recall Seattle going that far off consensus, except in the number of deals they took to choose certain guys, all of which worked out stunningly.

I'm also beginning to suspect Rutherford is only leaving our front office in a coffin.

I think we know where it ends.

I guess in the end my question is... like... Tanev is good in his role. But how appreciably better is he than one of several potential candidates we already have kicking around on the roster already or in the system? I realize they haven't dropped the puck yet but while nice... this seems almost like... a distraction/luxury signing. It's like they couldn't help themselves and just had to sign a contract that was on their list or something.

Imo, probably appreciably better if people talking of him as a Hagelin-esque forechecker are correct. Rust can be good, but isn't always. Don't think McCann has the sense of it yet. After that... guess I like Adam Johnson, but still seems a little work in progress. This team is built around oppressing opposition defences and it just doesn't happen.

I'm not sure it excuses the contract, but I don't think it was luxury.

Another point that Madden and Bourque brought up today is that the Penguins may run with a more traditional top-9 setup, with having a scoring top-6 and defensive 3rd line. Seeing how they were hesitant to use Bjugstad in a super heavy defensive role, but they absolutely murdered McCann with defensive starts when he was the 3C, I wonder if the plan is to ship out Bjugstad and run with this as the forward group:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Hornqvist
Tanev-McCann-Rust
ZAR-Blueger-Simon

You do have the issue of Malkin and Hornqvist together, but if you're going by top-6 scoring and 3rd line defensive, that's probably the setup you're looking at.

Leaving aside my continuing hate of McCann as a C, the Bjugstad-Horny pairing saw 42.55 offensive zone starts and how much super heavier defensive are we expecting to get? That was half of Bjugs' time as well.

The Lowry bit appears to be at least somewhat true.

It was bits and pieces across the season - 140 minutes worth with only one game spent without a decent chunk with Lowry - and therefore should be somewhat questioned in terms of statistical value.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I for sure have questions with using Bjugstad as a defensive center, but if your criticism of Tanev is "he was carried by a possession driving center", I'd just point out that the Penguins already have a possession driving 3C in Bjugstad.

Leaving aside my continuing hate of McCann as a C, the Bjugstad-Horny pairing saw 42.55 offensive zone starts and how much super heavier defensive are we expecting to get? That was half of Bjugs' time as well.

I think the problem is that it's either McCann at center or you trade Rust, and I'd rather have McCann at center if those are the two options. If you're comfortable with using Bjugstad as a defensive 3C, I'd just say trade Rust then. I'm just iffy on that.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Okay they're 100% trading Rust.

They better be right that Tanev is a top-9 forward like they're saying (or at least heavily implying) he is.

I think that's a pretty safe bet that Tanev will be moved all over the lineup and will get a decent chance with both Crosby and Malkin. However I could also easily see him spending time on L4.

I also think that Rust is gone with this signing. Because even if you move JJ, you still need to replace him. We have Rust replacements internally with Kahun, MaCann, Reese, Simon and Johnson here.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Imo, probably appreciably better if people talking of him as a Hagelin-esque forechecker are correct. Rust can be good, but isn't always. Don't think McCann has the sense of it yet. After that... guess I like Adam Johnson, but still seems a little work in progress. This team is built around oppressing opposition defences and it just doesn't happen.

I'm not sure it excuses the contract, but I don't think it was luxury.

Hmmm. Well... 33 year old Evgeni Malkin and his aching legs and back sure hope you are right.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Yep the Penguins definitely couldn't use this, he's of course only a slightly better Simon or ZAR.

Is that honestly the best you can do? It's hilarious that you're acting condescending when your entire argument is "Jesse Marshall quoted a tweet that had these numbers".

As I said focusing soley, or even primarily, on goals and points is lazy evaluation and misleading.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Enlighten me. I’m not stating that Tanev is a byproduct of Lowry, but I find this statement rather moronic.

having seen a ton of adam lowry and his nothingness....Blueger is better and has impressed me more.

Really not hard for Blueger to be better than a 12 goal,25 point Centre. Witch is what Lowry is.

Blueger paced for more than that. Has a better offensive touch than Lowry does, aswell.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As I said focusing soley, or even primarily, on goals and points is lazy evaluation and misleading.

Exactly, it's like judging Hagelin based on his offensive numbers alone is flawed.

If they're going with the model of 2 scoring lines and a defensive line in their top-9, I think Tanev is a good fit on the 3rd line. I don't think you're overplaying him on a line with Bjugstad and Hornqvist (or McCann and Hornqvist if you trade Bjugstad) and you're really opening up your top-6 for offensive chances. If you want to run 3 balanced lines, you can do that as well with having either Tanev-Kahun on the 3rd line or Tanev-Galchenyuk on the 2nd line. He's a versatile player who can still provide positives in a role that he doesn't have the offense to be comfortably in.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad