Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Tanev for way too long and way too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I for sure have questions with using Bjugstad as a defensive center, but if your criticism of Tanev is "he was carried by a possession driving center", I'd just point out that the Penguins already have a possession driving 3C in Bjugstad.

I think the problem is that it's either McCann at center or you trade Rust, and I'd rather have McCann at center if those are the two options. If you're comfortable with using Bjugstad as a defensive 3C, I'd just say trade Rust then. I'm just iffy on that.

Where's option C here? :P I'm not super high on trading Rust, I don't think McCann was particularly good as a defensive C. I'd honestly rather trust Blueger.

Hmmm. Well... 33 year old Evgeni Malkin and his aching legs and back sure hope you are right.

Thing is - does Tanev have the hands and IQ to ride on a Malkin line? I'm going to guess "No". So... well, yeah.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Funniest thing I've read all day, and there have been some doozies.

Adam Lowry is one of the best checking centers in the NHL today. Blueger hopes to get close to that some day.

I mean really now, c'mon.

Lmao. What? Lowry is a 25 point 4th line centre whos good at defense. "One of the best in the NHL" lolol.

Blueger will outscore Lowry if he plays the same amount of games, and he himself is very good defensively.

Blueger is easily better. Having watched both a lot.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Thing is - does Tanev have the hands and IQ to ride on a Malkin line? I'm going to guess "No". So... well, yeah.

Oh I don't either. At all. But you know damn well that's where he will end up more often than not. It's a grand tradition.

Maybe at least he can do some Hagelin stuff with... Gally... on the other side. Gross. I dunno.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Donskoi just went for 3.9 over 4.

Don’t try to defend this contract it is just as horrid as JJ’s.
I get that the Tanev's contract is crazy but that doesn't make it as bad as JJ's. At least Tanev can play. JJ actively makes us worse. Everyone on here would have traded JJ for Tanev on these deals if that had been possible.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Where's option C here? :P I'm not super high on trading Rust, I don't think McCann was particularly good as a defensive C. I'd honestly rather trust Blueger.

Blueger should be the #3C very easily for this team.

No Tanev may look good with Malkin for a shift or a game or two but that combo will get old quick.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Option C was not signing Tanev, which isn't exactly much of an option now :laugh:

Both from a cap perspective and a roster perspective, one of Bjugstad or Rust has to go. I flip flop on which one of those guys I want to move more. I think Rust is better and I want to keep his speed, but Bjugstad is less expendable and hasn't grown complacent on the Penguins (like I think Rust has). I also think Sullivan's insistence on Rust playing with Crosby should be noted. I personally love the idea of a Tanev-Bjugstad-Rust 3rd line, but as long as Hornqvist is here, you can't run with that.

I will say that everything would fall into place so easily if Hornqvist wasn't re-signed to the deal he was given. This top-9 would have an absolutely inarguable identity, possession and speed:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
McCann-Malkin-Galchenyuk
Tanev-Bjugstad-Rust

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I will take it a step further.

I hated the JJ signing because he was almost useless at any price and didn't fit this team, or at least what I wanted the team identity to be.

I hated the Reaves signing for the cost and that he was the antithesis of the Pens' team identity. He didn't fit at almost any price.

This time the skills Tanev has fits the Pens like a glove, he is among the best at many of them, fills a need, and is simply overpaid and too long term.

Guess which one of the above that I, and the Pens, can live with?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I wouldn't be clamoring to move Rust. He's still the fastest skater on the team, is a RHS, good on the forecheck (as well as the PK), and has been clutch for us in the past.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

smetana

B2B2B2B HA Champs
Aug 5, 2006
USA I.1
Lmao. What? Lowry is a 25 point 4th line centre whos good at defense. "One of the best in the NHL" lolol.

Blueger will outscore Lowry if he plays the same amount of games, and he himself is very good defensively.

Obviously you haven't watched both a lot.

Blueger could outscore Lowry, but that isn't what i said.

Lowry is a premier CHECKING CENTER. He'll get his share of points, he'll hem you in, forecheck, and shut you down with ruthless efficiency. That's not Teddy, i see him as more of a strong two-way center in the long run.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Why not Blueger AND Lowry?

With the Pens depth on the wings, call whichever line you want L3 and the other L4.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Oh I don't either. At all. But you know damn well that's where he will end up more often than not. It's a grand tradition.

Maybe at least he can do some Hagelin stuff with... Gally... on the other side. Gross. I dunno.

If Tanev can do what Hagelin did for the majority of his time here, I'll be happy with him.

Galchenyuk's never gonna be Kessel, obviously, but Malkin will be the best center he's ever played with by far, and he's the sort of player who'd benefit from a two-way burner like Tanev on the opposite wing.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Obviously you haven't watched both a lot.

Blueger could outscore Lowry, but that isn't what i said.

Lowry is a premier CHECKING CENTER. He'll get his share of points, he'll hem you in, forecheck, and shut you down with ruthless efficiency. That's not Teddy, i see him as more of a strong two-way center in the long run.

Are you just saying that Lowry is better than Blueger just because hes big?

Lowry is very mediocre. Far from premiere at...well anything.

Blueger is a way better player

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't be clamoring to move Rust. He's still the fastest skater on the team, is a RHS, good on the forecheck (as well as the PK), and has been clutch for us in the past.

I like Rust too, but:

1. You need to clear cap and it's either Bjugstad or Rust.
2. He's somewhat expendable with the additions of Tanev and Kahun
3. Rust had a bad year last year and has been indirectly called out by JR for getting too comfortable.

In a perfect world, I think you move Hornqvist and keep both Rust and Bjugstad. I just don't think you can do that.

If Tanev can do what Hagelin did for the majority of his time here, I'll be happy with him.

Galchenyuk's never gonna be Kessel, obviously, but Malkin will be the best center he's ever played with by far, and he's the sort of player who'd benefit from a two-way burner like Tanev on the opposite wing.

What's funny is that I think a Tanev-Galchenyuk duo has all of the traits you wanted from a winger group for Malkin when the Penguins had Neal. You wanted that fast, physical winger who can be a puck retriever as Malkin and Neal put up boatloads of points. However, Galchenyuk isn't a Neal and Tanev isn't a top-6 forward.

I'd be inclined to try it because it does have what you'd want, it's just not top-6 caliber.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I will take it a step further.

I hated the JJ signing because he was almost useless at any price and didn't fit this team, or at least what I wanted the team identity to be.

I hated the Reaves signing for the cost and that he was the antithesis of the Pens' team identity. He didn't fit at almost any price.

This time the skills Tanev has fits the Pens like a glove, he is among the best at many of them, fills a need, and is simply overpaid and too long term.

Guess which one of the above that I, and the Pens, can live with?

Exactly. The people comparing this to JJ are nuts. One was a non NHL entity who was the antithesis of what Sullivan’s system demands, and one is the perfect role player for this system.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
ZAR is vanilla as **** man. And Simon is a totally different player. He's likely best off on a more offense oriented 3rd line or being a third wheel with 87 or 71.

If their plan is to build a 3rd line that can take defensive responsibility away from 87, then let's see how it goes.

Good thing the player with a negative corsi throughout his career with high hit numbers is going to be a possession demon according to some here.

smetana

B2B2B2B HA Champs
Aug 5, 2006
USA I.1
Are you just saying that Lowry is better than Blueger just because hes big?

Lowry is very mediocre. Far from premiere at...well anything.

Blueger is a way better player

What? Better because he's big? He's better because he's BETTER, man. Blueger might have more skill, i won't deny you that. Lowry is one of the better defensive centers in the league. You can debate it, and i know you certainly will, but you'll be wrong.

Stop watching stats and boxscores. Watch the players for cripes' sake.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Exactly. The people comparing this to JJ are nuts. One was a non NHL entity who was the antithesis of what Sullivan’s system demands, and one is the perfect role player for this system.

I can agree with this. Tanev still is nowhere near the player some are making out him to be. If he was the Jets would have (#1 used him in their top six when Ehlers and Laine ghosted this year and # 2 signed him and traded Ehlers since he can so easily move up a roster)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad