Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Tanev for way too long and way too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Hayes is UFA wingers would have been Nyquist, Lee, etc. no problem giving that type of talent 7x6.

If that's the calibre of player you want, then that's not a problem to add next year if Galchenyuk leaves and we move out JJ and Rust/Horny.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Lowry bit appears to be at least somewhat true.

Those stats are worthless without looking at the ice time of those combinations.

To provide some context, Tanev spent 140 minutes last season away from Lowry. However, he only didn't play with Lowry for 1 game last year. Those 140 minutes are spread out in small chunks over an entire season, how anyone thinks that's a reasonable way to evaluate players I don't know.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah 20 and 40 pt pace Rust over the last three years is the same as Tanev who didn’t hit 30.

Are we really going to pretend like they were in similarly advantageous offensive positions?

I know you're riding this idea of Tanev coasting on Lowry and Perreault, but c'mon.

C'mon.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh christ.

That's your reply to that? Saying "we need context instead of 1 stat" causes a reply of "oh christ"?

The only "oh christ" moment here is how anyone thinks it makes any sense to judge a player based on 140 minutes away from a decent bottom-6 center to say he's not good.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You do realize Maurice is one of the worst lovers of players like Tanev. You think he is averaging 14 here?

why wouldnt maurice play a player a lot who was his best bottom sixer?

He should get close to it. Especially if he is PKing.

Tanev can and i assume will move up and down the lineup.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Those stats are worthless without looking at the ice time of those combinations.

To provide some context, Tanev spent 140 minutes last season away from Lowry. However, he only didn't play with Lowry for 1 game last year. Those 140 minutes are spread out in small chunks over an entire season, how anyone thinks that's a reasonable way to evaluate players I don't know.

Also of freaking course his numbers will go down when he's away from a corsi beast like Lowry. Anyone's would.

Pretty sure Sid's numbers go down substantially when he's not out on the ice with Letang. Well duh. That's because Letang is absurdly good.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Tanev was the Kuhnhackl/ Rowney of the Jets 4th line.

Again not fair.

You don't need to make unfair comparisons to sell us on it being an overpay with bad term.

He was far better than those two though. Among the highest hit totals, drawing penalties, pain to play against, etc.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Yeah 20 and 40 pt pace Rust over the last three years is the same as Tanev who didn’t hit 30.

Tanev also didn't get to have a ton of time with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin over the past three years.

Now, Rust is a clear better player, but they are similar.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Also of freaking course his numbers will go down when he's away from a corsi beast like Lowry. Anyone's would.

Pretty sure Sid's numbers go down substantially when he's not out on the ice with Letang. Well duh. That's because Letang is absurdly good.

Or does Crosby actually suck?

tenor.gif

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The Lowry bit appears to be at least somewhat true.

So Copp is the best right?

Tanevs Corsi sucked in the Jets top six because Wheeler/Scheifele/Connor/Laine were all really, really bad possession players.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
That's your reply to that? Saying "we need context instead of 1 stat" causes a reply of "oh christ"?

The only "oh christ" moment here is how anyone thinks it makes any sense to judge a player based on 140 minutes away from a decent bottom-6 center to say he's not good.

No. It's that I put more faith in Jesse understanding the validity of the #s than you. If you don't, that's not my problem. It's a you problem.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Tanev with Sid is actually intriguing. Good luck getting the puck below your goal line if youre the opposing team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
why wouldnt maurice play a player a lot who was his best bottom sixer?

He should get close to it. Especially if he is PKing.

Tanev can and i assume will move up and down the lineup.

Lol k. I’ll be sitting over here in January listening to these rational when you guys are flipping out over Tanev screwing Kahun and Gally out of their spots on the top six.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Or does Crosby actually suck?

tenor.gif

The more interesting stat for me is always what happens when a guy gets put with someone elite like Crosby.

Like when JJ makes almost everyone else he's with do worse. You can definitely read into stuff like that. But a guy doing worse when put with worse players? Not much to read into there imo.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I know this isn't the point of bringing up Lowry, but I'd love Lowry on the Pens. Sully always bombards at least one of his centers with a ton of D-zone draws. Lowry eats those easily and has been his entire career and still chips in ~30points. The Pens now have Bjugstad and Blueger who I like, but not in that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad