Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Tanev for way too long and way too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You’re right. Too bad the Jets signed that guy, could’ve been a really solid asset for us.

Plus, with the regularity of how many 27+ year olds are putting up career seasons into their late 20s and early 30s I gotta agree.

I assume that its really not as abnormal as you think, that players have career seasons after age 26.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Tanev is a player that even non diehards(casuals) will love and buy his jersey.

He'll be the new Max Talbot. He brings energy and just never stops attacking, will block any shot, do anything the coach asks of him to help win.

He'll be a media favorite, too.

Or he will have 3 goals in 35 games like he did to finish off last season and be an albatross contract we all hate by January.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Or he will have 3 goals in 35 games like he did to finish off last season and be an albatross contract we all hate by January.

Doubt that. Because at the very least, he'll be giving 100% and providing Speed and defense along with great PKing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wanna bet? :laugh:

This is going to be the last comment I make tonight, not in general :laugh:

I'm happy that Tanev is here and I'm optimistic he can have a Matt Cooke like impact for the Penguins, whether that's on a defensive 3rd line or on Malkin's line. I hope he can do that, because I think people here will be very happy with this deal in 5 years if he has the 5 year career here that Cooke had.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
This is the last comment I'm going to make on Tanev, because I feel like everyone is just going in circles. JR has made it really clear he has 1 focus in mind: getting younger and faster. Every move the Penguins have made since the Sprong trade has been focused on making the Penguins younger or faster, even the smaller ones like Grant for Blandisi. They have a clear goal in mind and it's a goal that people here agree with. Even if they overpay a depth player or make a bad value trade, I like where this team is going. It still has work to do, but everything they've done recently makes me optimistic going forward. They have the right intentions for making this team a cup contender again, it's just a question of whether they'll be able to do it.

Adding Tanev gives them the closest thing to prime Kunitz the Penguins have had since prime Kunitz. Tanev is certainly nowhere close to that offensively, but his speed, grit and defense is on par with prime Kunitz. His puck retrieval and forecheck has been missed since Hagelin fell off a cliff and that combined with physicality has been missed for even longer. To get players with that kind of unique skillset, it's going to be painful. That doesn't excuse giving a 3rd liner 6 years, but it makes sense why it was required. Tanev fills an absolutely huge role here and it gives the Penguins a ton of options for how they want to run with their forward group. I will worry about the term being a problem if/when Tanev starts sucking, until then I'm going to be happy that JR is taking the Penguins back to where they need to go.

I'm going to bring up a different comparable for Tanev, though. I think he's going to be for the Penguins what Matt Cooke was for the Penguins, minus the dirty bull****. The Penguins got 5 great years out of Cooke from 2008-2013. I think Tanev can be what Cooke was for a possession dominating, defensive 3rd line.
That's a pretty tall order. Cooke, despite being a rat, was a damn good hockey player. Very smart defensively and pretty consistent in his offensive production. I hope he does because adding Cooke was a very underrated move that helped them win in 2009.

Couldn't we just get younger by trading JR? That would be the quickest way.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's a pretty tall order. Cooke, despite being a rat, was a damn good hockey player. Very smart defensively and pretty consistent in his offensive production. I hope he does because adding Cooke was a very underrated move that helped them win in 2009.

Couldn't we just get younger by trading JR? That would be the quickest way.

As is Tanev if he continues to do what he did last year. Cooke was a consistent 30-35 point winger who brought a **** ton of hits, speed and defensive play. That's pretty much what Tanev did last year. What made Cooke special was that he did that his entire career, but if last year wasn't a mirage, Tanev can have a similar impact with the Penguins.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Do you know how we talk about players who if they are not scoring bring nothing to the table.

Everything I hear about Tanev, and his stats including hits, penalties drawn etc. scream the opposite of that player.

Overpaid, sure.

But he will never be worthless.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I think the issue is Hagelin hit 30 points multiple times. (I actually hated that deal too when it was first announced)

Also, I’d argue Hags deal handicapped us multiple times in 2017 and 2018.

I’d be a lot more into this deal if it was given to say Donskoi or Panik. I just think Tanev has yet to prove anything but he is fast and can hit a lot and put up 29 pts on a team with weak LW depth once Ehlers went down.

Hags also cost more and yet he was a major factor in our back to backs. Tanev won't score as much as prime Hagelin but he also is superior in a few areas that are valuable. I see some parallels and I think Tanev is exactly the type of F this team needs if we're going to seriously contend.

Donskoi isn't physical, doesn't PK, isn't as good defensively, and isn't exactly THAT much superior offensively.

I'm optimistic about things given how much faster and younger we're getting at F, especially on the wings.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Personally I think that just the change of the hustle and defensive upgrade that we have will change more than we think. Kessel was extremely skilled... however it was time for him to go. Invaluable for our cup runs, but it was time and I think the TEAM will be better off for it. Tanev is basically everything Kessel wasn't - at the cost of production.

Rangers were pretty damn bad last season... all they could do was improve. But I disagree that Washington got better. They lost Niskanen, Connolly and Burakovski and replaced them with Gudas and Panik - that's a pretty clear downgrade.

I don't disagree with us having to move him. The Pens had to trade him. But, I think we are going to notice the sudden lack of a PPG player on the third line and we haven't done anything to bring that production back. I hope I'm wrong about Gally - but I'm not a fan. Hustle is great, and I know Tanev will bring that. But we didn't need Tanev. And he got overpaid for too many years when we have way bigger needs.

Fair point on WSH, I thought they made another big addition... but I don't know why. I don't think the Pens are better, though. We saw this team get swept in round 1 and I think the roster is noticeably worse. Hopefully the team will be better.

Reactions: Riptide

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Tanev is a player that even non diehards(casuals) will love and buy his jersey.

He'll be the new Max Talbot. He brings energy and just never stops attacking, will block any shot, do anything the coach asks of him to help win.

He'll be a media favorite, too.

The last time we signed a former Jet to a bad deal it didn't work out so well.

I'm not comparing Tanev to Glass, but, I just think it was a massive overpayment for a guy who has played less than 200 games. If Tanev was 27 and had 5-6 seasons of being a consistent 12-15 goal guy and 30-40 point player with all the qualities he has now, I'd say six years is still too much, but it's understandable you need to pay a premium to get a player like that.

He just had a decent season last season. He's an offensive blackhole for most the time. If people complain about Rust being streaky, how's 3 goals in 35 games sound? I get that he was playing with not so good offensive players in a non-offensive role in Winnipeg. Lowry is a good defensive player, he's decent offensively. I'm not sure about Copp, but Tanev was arguably the weakest link on that line. It would be different if he was carrying that line and the other guys were holding him back. I honestly would be shocked in Tanev scores more than 15 goals with less than 30 points next season and I wouldn't at all be shocked if Rust is traded and manages to completely outscore Tanev in every category.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Hags also cost more and yet he was a major factor in our back to backs. Tanev won't score as much as prime Hagelin but he also is superior in a few areas that are valuable. I see some parallels and I think Tanev is exactly the type of F this team needs if we're going to seriously contend.

Donskoi isn't physical, doesn't PK, isn't as good defensively, and isn't exactly THAT much superior offensively.

I'm optimistic about things given how much faster and younger we're getting at F, especially on the wings.

This is pretty much my thoughts as well. Quite a bit needs to happen in order for us to make another run and be successful but Tanev is the type of player you need on your team to do some of the things that do not show up on the score-sheet.

Pretty excited to see what McCann can do with another year on the team ( I am high on him) and am hopeful that Galchenyuk can be somewhat the player he was expected to be when drafted 3rd overall. If those pieces fall into place I think this team will be fun to watch

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don't disagree with us having to move him. The Pens had to trade him. But, I think we are going to notice the sudden lack of a PPG player on the third line and we haven't done anything to bring that production back. I hope I'm wrong about Gally - but I'm not a fan. Hustle is great, and I know Tanev will bring that. But we didn't need Tanev. And he got overpaid for too many years when we have way bigger needs.

Fair point on WSH, I thought they made another big addition... but I don't know why. I don't think the Pens are better, though. We saw this team get swept in round 1 and I think the roster is noticeably worse. Hopefully the team will be better.

How is the roster noticeably worse?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'm going to bring up a different comparable for Tanev, though. I think he's going to be for the Penguins what Matt Cooke was for the Penguins, minus the dirty bull****. The Penguins got 5 great years out of Cooke from 2008-2013. I think Tanev can be what Cooke was for a possession dominating, defensive 3rd line.

I dunno about that... Youtube is showing some dirty shit. And while he can fight... I don't think he's big enough or skilled enough as a fighter to really do much there. I think he's going to have a lot more success as a Cooke like agitator.

But I agree with you that Tanev will be a positive asset for the team.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I dunno about that... Youtube is showing some dirty ****. And while he can fight... I don't think he's big enough or skilled enough as a fighter to really do much there. I think he's going to have a lot more success as a Cooke like agitator.

But I agree with you that Tanev will be a positive asset for the team.

Tanev has definitely thrown some questionable hits by today’s standard. But by today’s standard Cooke threw those hits every period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad