Confirmed with Link: Penguins Sign Mark Eaton (1 year | $725,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
This place is so predictable.

It's a depth signing. Eaton will be the #8 guy and he might not see a single game. He's here for some leadership and depth. It's not a precursor to some blockbuster deal.

Agreed. This is a depth move. Do I think a dman will be moved at the deadline? Yes, but this doesn't mean it's happening right away. Probably going to give Eaton a couple games here and there and let him be with the team/sit in the press box.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I don't believe that's 100% true. We were right in the running with Detroit as the final 2 teams. DET had WAYYY more cap space than us, so they could sign Brunner AND Parise AND Suter if they wanted to. If we signed Suter AND Parise, we would have to move out bodies.

Where DET was smart was that they didn't wait for Parise/Suter before they committed more to Brunner. We waited because we thought we would sign Parise. DET always had Suter as a priority over Parise if they could only take 1 of them, so they put more effort into Brunner. I still believe we could have had him if we stepped up our offer/efforts.
Brunner was free to negotiate with any team months before July 1st and had already agreed to terms before that date, so it had absolutely nothing to do with waiting on Suter and Parise.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I like this because a) I always admired Eaton's quiet game, and b) this means Shero will squarely focus on adding a winger and not go after anymore veteran depth blueliners.

If he makes a change on D, it'll be an upgrade (likely a partner for Letang) or it'll be us moving out someone for a forward.

Who goes when Malkin returns? I gotta believe Jeffrey is going to be moved because someone will have watched him play during Malkin's absence and figured he could help them. I'm gonna guess either Calgary and Edmonton, two teams starving for centers (Calgary needs any type of center; Edmonton could really use a solid third liner).

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Not crazy about giving Bylsma another veteran. Eaton will be the Craig Adams of the D core and it won't be long until Despres and Bortuzzo are getting the Jeffrey treatment and sitting in the press box every night.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mark Eaton but I loved what he was 3 years ago, not what he is today. I don't mind him as strictly a #7 or #8 but I have little doubt Bylsma will use him as that. I hope I'm wrong or that Shero has a sweet trade lined up for one of the other D.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Not crazy about giving Bylsma another veteran. Eaton will be the Craig Adams of the D core and it won't be long until Despres and Bortuzzo are getting the Jeffrey treatment and sitting in the press box every night.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mark Eaton but I loved what he was 3 years ago, not what he is today. I don't mind him as strictly a #7 or #8 but I have little doubt Bylsma will use him as that. I hope I'm wrong or that Shero has a sweet trade lined up for one of the other D.

I hadn't thought of that.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I like this because a) I always admired Eaton's quiet game, and b) this means Shero will squarely focus on adding a winger and not go after anymore veteran depth blueliners.

If he makes a change on D, it'll be an upgrade (likely a partner for Letang) or it'll be us moving out someone for a forward.

Who goes when Malkin returns? I gotta believe Jeffrey is going to be moved because someone will have watched him play during Malkin's absence and figured he could help them. I'm gonna guess either Calgary and Edmonton, two teams starving for centers (Calgary needs any type of center; Edmonton could really use a solid third liner).

My guess is Boychuk :(

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
I haven't seen any quotes from the brass yet, but it's entirely possible Eaton gets sent down when Malkin comes off IR.

Ideally, Eaton goes to Wilkes-Barre and then is called up to be a 7/8 option for the playoffs when the roster limit is lifted.

ObsessedCreative*

I haven't seen any quotes from the brass yet, but it's entirely possible Eaton gets sent down when Malkin comes off IR.

Ideally, Eaton goes to Wilkes-Barre and then is called up to be a 7/8 option for the playoffs when the roster limit is lifted.

Or shero has trade plans to move a guy like Nisk.

His value has never been higher.

I don't agree with it, but to me it seems like he might be the one moved.

Despres simply can't be moved IMHO they will need his super friendly cap hit going forward to make this roster / team work.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Or shero has trade plans to move a guy like Nisk.

His value has never been higher.

I don't agree with it, but to me it seems like he might be the one moved.

Despres simply can't be moved IMHO they will need his super friendly cap hit going forward to make this roster / team work.

I don't like the idea of moving Niskanen because of the weak 6-8 spots right now. If you move Niskanen, then you're looking at defense pairing such as

Orpik - Martin
Despres - Letang
2 of Bortuzzo, Eaton, Engelland

going into the playoffs. That a) a large role for a rookie (Despres) to take on heading into playoffs and b) a very week 3rd pairing. They'd be putting an awful lot of eggs in the Despres basket, especially with Bylsma sitting him in the more physical games as is.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Shero isn't going to subtract from that defense. You don't mess with a good thing. Eaton or Botz aren't ideal candidates to be playing games come playoffs. If we trade Niskanen we are one injury away from Reese being our 7th guy. Think about that.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
Minus:

Not crazy about giving Bylsma another veteran. Eaton will be the Craig Adams of the D core and it won't be long until Despres and Bortuzzo are getting the Jeffrey treatment and sitting in the press box every night...

Plus:

This could be a decent bit of depth insurance for our D or another headscratching roster ****up.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
s2z14j.jpg

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pens have been running 8 D-man all year up until they waived Strait and traded Lovejoy. They're gonna carry 8 D-man people, why? because they said as much at the beginning. Why beyond that? Because this teams love for injuries.

Also, they don't have to tippy toe the cap this season. All moves have been to open up roster spots. They can sign up to 36.0 is salary at the deadline. We shouldn't cry about cap space or we send someone down, or plain out waive someone if/when Geno returns.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Shero isn't going to subtract from that defense. You don't mess with a good thing. Eaton or Botz aren't ideal candidates to be playing games come playoffs. If we trade Niskanen we are one injury away from Reese being our 7th guy. Think about that.

No, because by the time the playoffs roll around we'll likely recall Dumoulin or Morrow before Reese.

And let's not forget who the best defenders were during last spring's debacle...the younger ones.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I wouldn't be surprised to see us play Eaton against teams that Shero/Bylsma feel Despres or Bortuzzo wouldn't be able to handle as well in the physicality of it all.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
8 D-Men has been a staple of Shero teams until recently and he'll be filling the same role that Philippe Boucher did the year we won the Cup.

Remind me again of how much ice time Boucher stole from Letang and Goligoski?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
8 D-Men has been a staple of Shero teams until recently and he'll be filling the same role that Philippe Boucher did the year we won the Cup.

Remind me again of how much ice time Boucher stole from Letang and Goligoski?

Yeah, but we didn't need Boucher in '09. We'll PROBABLY need Eaton this year.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah, but we didn't need Boucher in '09. We'll PROBABLY need Eaton this year.

Considering Boucher played 9 playoff games I'm going to go ahead and disagree there. That Sydor/Boucher roster spot played 33 regular season games as well.

They both occupied the 8th spot on the depth chart as 35/36 year-old (Boucher turned 36 in March of that season; Eaton turns 36 in early May) well-traveled defenders who are clearly in the twilight of their careers. The only difference is that Boucher was an offensive-leaning guy and Eaton is a defensive defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad