Confirmed with Link: Penguins Sign Mark Eaton (1 year | $725,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
:jump::bow::yo::banana:

:sarcasm:

Geno to IR.

Don't understand why you sign a DMan unless you're planning on no longer playing Bort or Despres. Don't need 8 right now when you have 7 healthy.

BeauKnows19

Mar 28, 2012
New Jersey

Geno to IR.

Don't understand why you sign a DMan unless you're planning on no longer playing Bort or Despres. Don't need 8 right now when you have 7 healthy.
Agreed. And when Malkin comes back, who gets sent down? It doesn't make sense to carry that many d. I guess Boychuk or Bennett?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd say TK, Jeffrey or a roster D is gone when Geno comes back. I think we'll hold onto Boychuk as depth for the playoffs and Bennett will stay up with us.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Geno to IR.

Boychuk, Despres or trade, IMO. Despres has shown some great things. He's also shown he may not be ready for full-time duty this year, whereas Bort is. That's not only evident with his own play (which by itself isn't so bad, aside from the shifts like yesterday where he turns it over twice in a row), but if I'm choosing between Despres and Bortuzzo, I choose Bort because he is more ready, and he is more steady -- and at least Despres can get big minutes in the AHL. He's had enough experience that he knows what he needs to work on. (And at least Engo will get a consistent D-partner).

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
I just hope he doesn't get in to games over Bort or Despres or anyone at this point.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
Boychuk, Despres or trade, IMO. Despres has shown some great things. He's also shown he may not be ready for full-time duty this year, whereas Bort is. That's not only evident with his own play (which by itself isn't so bad, aside from the shifts like yesterday where he turns it over twice in a row), but if I'm choosing between Despres and Bortuzzo, I choose Bort because he is more ready, and he is more steady -- and at least Despres can get big minutes in the AHL. He's had enough experience that he knows what he needs to work on. (And at least Engo will get a consistent D-partner).

Despres to the ahl would make me far angrier then any other option Shero makes.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Despres going down or trade involving a Dman are the only thing that make sense to me, since there would be no reason, imo, to make this move until then... right?

Who is beating down Mark Eaton's door?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Despres going down or trade involving a Dman are the only thing that make sense to me, since there would be no reason, imo, to make this move until then... right?

I dunno, if it's a two way (which I think is probable) they want him to start playing games and getting into the swing of things. They brought him in on a tryout, he looked good enough to get a real shot, and they signed him. Best case scenario he's an experienced warm body in case we have a couple injuries in the playoffs. Worst case he plays in WBS. Either way you want the guy in the fold so he can, ya know, play some games. I don't think it has anything to do with the trade front and I don't think that's going out on a limb at all.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

I could see them playing eaton first if they feel comfortable with eaton as a 7th or 8th def then maybe they would trade a def.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think being able to sit him in the pressbox most nights and use him as depth in the postseason is the route we're taking.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Despres to the ahl would make me far angrier then any other option Shero makes.

Oh yeah, well I'm angry that we didn't sign Damien Brunner when we could have done so, because were were too focussed on getting BOTH Parise and Suter. Brunner has 10 goals and would cost zero assets. He would also have made TK trade bait by now.

Anyway, Despres is great. He will be great. But I don't think he's ready now. You know how I can tell? Watch the partners who play with him. Engo looks more nervous and inconsistent than I have seen since the last 2 years he's been up here as a regular. Letang looks downright uncomfortable sometimes, and feels like he has to do too much to compensate. Despres has some amazing attributes, but he's not more consistent and steady than Bortuzzo. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Good depth move. It may mean a trade is coming. It may also mean they just want playoff depth. If Geno is back soon, they could just send Despres down and call him back up later in the year.

I like this move because he is that veteran depth guy on the back end and he was free to acquire. Now we can focus our deadline deals solely on top 6 wingers (hopefully).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Oh yeah, well I'm angry that we didn't sign Damien Brunner when we could have done so, because were were too focussed on getting BOTH Parise and Suter. Brunner has 10 goals and would cost zero assets. He would also have made TK trade bait by now.

Many people tried to sign Brunner. He choose Det. Same situation as Schultz choosing Edmonton. Everyone offered the max, and he choose what city he wanted to go to.

Omnomnomnom

Mar 6, 2012
I don't mind Eaton as an 8th d-man. This is just one less phone call Ray has to make between now and the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad