Confirmed with Link: Penguins Sign Mark Eaton (1 year | $725,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Good depth move. It may mean a trade is coming. It may also mean they just want playoff depth. If Geno is back soon, they could just send Despres down and call him back up later in the year.

I like this move because he is that veteran depth guy on the back end and he was free to acquire. Now we can focus our deadline deals solely on top 6 wingers (hopefully).

Despres's name has been thrown around in some trade rumors as well.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Depth move but I think that this could mean that a D man is being traded (Niskanen most likely?) along with a forward player (Kennedy?) and a pick for someone. Just my thinking.

I don't want to trade Despres or Bortuzzo unless it's in a trade for a decent 1st liner.

Oxide

Jan 17, 2010
Pittsburgh
Depth move but I think that this could mean that a D man is being traded (Niskanen most likely?) along with a forward player (Kennedy?) and a pick for someone. Just my thinking.

I don't want to trade Despres or Bortuzzo unless it's for a decent 1st liner.

That's what I'm thinking as well.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
This move makes me think a trade is close. I dont think Depres last fews games have looked very good but Id still be surprised if was sent down. If any teams were evaluating Nisky, he represented himself very well since he came back. Hope the return is very good if we move him.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Thats so awesome for him! He just got paid 750+K to practice full time with the Pens at 35....how do i get that gig?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
While I don't want to trade Despres, I don't think I'd be overly comfortable with him in the top 4 come playoff time (in the trade Nisky scenario). IF the organization believes Dumo is going to be a player next year, then I am okay with trading Despres for a long term winger upgrade.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Many people tried to sign Brunner. He choose Det. Same situation as Schultz choosing Edmonton. Everyone offered the max, and he choose what city he wanted to go to.

I don't believe that's 100% true. We were right in the running with Detroit as the final 2 teams. DET had WAYYY more cap space than us, so they could sign Brunner AND Parise AND Suter if they wanted to. If we signed Suter AND Parise, we would have to move out bodies.

Where DET was smart was that they didn't wait for Parise/Suter before they committed more to Brunner. We waited because we thought we would sign Parise. DET always had Suter as a priority over Parise if they could only take 1 of them, so they put more effort into Brunner. I still believe we could have had him if we stepped up our offer/efforts.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This place is so predictable.

It's a depth signing. Eaton will be the #8 guy and he might not see a single game. He's here for some leadership and depth. It's not a precursor to some blockbuster deal.

regard

Nov 9, 2009
Staal Debates
Who cares if its a one or two way deal? Not like the Pens cant afford an extra 700k regardless.

Jacob said:

It's a depth signing. Eaton will be the #8 guy and he might not see a single game. He's here for some leadership and depth. It's not a precursor to some blockbuster deal.
Yep I agree. This years Boucher.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'll just say it: Despres looked good all year. His only shaky games have come recently when... perish the thought, he started having his minutes yanked around, was scratched, etc... I know others will disagree with this, oh well, I think Despres needs to keep playing to get better. He's making mistakes at the NHL level. When he was getting 18 minutes a night, he acquitted himself well.

Is he now making mistakes because he's... afraid to make mistakes? That would be the first time that phenomenon has happened with one of their young players.

Eaton should not see any time over Bort or Despres, barring a catastrophic series of injuries.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I think that is the most likely scenario. It does mean they have to open up a roster spot when Geno comes back. Say he is back in 2 weeks, then you have either send down Bennett or Despres (neither of whom "deserve" a demotion), waive Boychuk, or trade Jeffrey. So there is a little merit to the "a trade is imminent" crowd.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

1292223254212-dumpfm-mario-Obamaclap.gif

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden

So you're saying we won't win the cup?

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
A TRADE IS IMMINENT! BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES!

Seriously though this means I can finally go back to my old username, EATONaSANDWICH

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

I don't want to trade Despres or Bortuzzo unless it's in a trade for a decent 1st liner.

Not sure why Shero would trade Niskanen. Bylsma seems very unwilling to even try a lineup like

Orpik Martin
Despres Letang
Niskanen Bortuzzo

I can't imagine he'd be too happy going with

Orpik Martin
Despres Letang
Engelland Bortuzzo

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
this is the face of a guy you want in the locker-room :sarcasm:

markeaton.jpg

White NBA players from the 80s always look funny...they even looked funny at the present time. Mark Price, John Stockton, Kurt Rambis, Jeff Hornacek, etc.

All that hair and shiny exposed pale skin.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Well someone is being moved when Geno is off of IR. We would have 24 players on the roster. I really like Boychuk's game (may be the only one), Bennett's been solid, Jeffrey is getting his chance to play, when Malkin's back, I doubt he's moved. I doubt TK is moved.

Boychuk may be the odd man out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad