Confirmed with Link: Penguins Sign Mark Eaton (1 year | $725,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
As much as I don't want Eaton taking time away from Despres/Bort, he is going to have to get a game or two here and there to get back into game shape. Just expect it to happen, so you all don't have a heart attack when it does.

Pretty much, and anyways I don't think it's a bad thing. Despres is good but still inconsistent, and honestly I have no problem with Bort but I think the shine has worn off of him. He's a tank who can provide solid yet unspectacular bottom pair play. Add it all up and a fully operational Eaton is about even with them considering his experience and reliability.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Anyone else only click on this thread once? Wondering why it's still at the top , and waiting for it to drop off?

Sorry for adding nothing of value, just very curious if I was the only one

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Perhaps Edmonton would be up for a Niskanen-for-Nick-Schultz swap. He's a bit bigger and better defensively than Niskanen and he's a lefty.

I dig Schultz

Barf. I really don't think we need to trade FOR a defenseman, and Nick Schultz is not an upgrade. Perhaps it's a case of the grass seeming greener if people think otherwise. I think, however, we do need to trade for a forward. Trading Niskanen (whose stock is quickly rising) for a guy like Schultz (whose stock has plateaued for some time now) would be a lateral move at best, and more likely a stupid move.

If you want to trade a Dman, it should be in exchance for a forward, not another defenseman. The only move I was supportive of was perhaps trading a good prospect Dman (i.e. Despres/Morrow) for an established #1/2 Dman (i.e. Keith Yandle), and I don't think such a deal is out there anyway. But with the way Paul Martin has played, he is not only NOT a buyout candidate, he's a candidate to stay here for a long time and even maybe have his contract extended after it's finished; and now we can hang on to our good young D or trade them for help up front instead.

Anyway, all this talk is premature. It's Mark F*ing Eaton. Hopefully we never see him on the ice and he never leaves the pressbox. A move may well be made, but that should probably be stated in the winger thread.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I know DB said there's no rush but I wonder if we'll see him play in Carolina after another game of allowing a lot of goals tonight. Pens need some composure in the lineup. Eaton at least provides a little of that.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I know DB said there's no rush but I wonder if we'll see him play in Carolina after another game of allowing a lot of goals tonight. Pens need some composure in the lineup. Eaton at least provides a little of that.

I think Eaton, after not playing for so long, will be no better than a guy like Bortuzzo if the latter is inserted into the line-up after being scratched for 5 consecutive games. I think Bortuzzo needs to get back in the line-up regularly, Eaton can be a last-minute fill in (in case someone slips on a puck in warm up or gets the flu on game day), and that Despres or Dumoulin should get called up if there was an extended stretch of games if someone was injured.

Bort looked a little rusty in the first period tonight, but looked very good after the first for the rest of the game. Give him a few more consecutve games, and I think he will look great. I don't want to lose Bort or Despres, so unless (and until) we trade a Niskanen/Orpik, then I think Bortuzzo should play and Despres stay fresh by getting big minutes and gaining confidence being the go-to Dman in WBS. Eaton can stay in the pressbox and make players eggs for breakfast.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Barf. I really don't think we need to trade FOR a defenseman, and Nick Schultz is not an upgrade. Perhaps it's a case of the grass seeming greener if people think otherwise. I think, however, we do need to trade for a forward. Trading Niskanen (whose stock is quickly rising) for a guy like Schultz (whose stock has plateaued for some time now) would be a lateral move at best, and more likely a stupid move.

If you want to trade a Dman, it should be in exchance for a forward, not another defenseman. The only move I was supportive of was perhaps trading a good prospect Dman (i.e. Despres/Morrow) for an established #1/2 Dman (i.e. Keith Yandle), and I don't think such a deal is out there anyway. But with the way Paul Martin has played, he is not only NOT a buyout candidate, he's a candidate to stay here for a long time and even maybe have his contract extended after it's finished; and now we can hang on to our good young D or trade them for help up front instead.

Anyway, all this talk is premature. It's Mark F*ing Eaton. Hopefully we never see him on the ice and he never leaves the pressbox. A move may well be made, but that should probably be stated in the winger thread.

What forward would you like to trade? We really don't have one to spare.

And I'm not saying that I'd trade Niskanen for Schultz. I was merely saying I think Schultz could play well here.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
What forward would you like to trade? We really don't have one to spare.

And I'm not saying that I'd trade Niskanen for Schultz. I was merely saying I think Schultz could play well here.

And I'm saying: I think the last thing we need is another bottom-pairing Dman.

I know that you and I share views on how good Engelland has been over the last year or so; and not only do I think he can maintain that, but I think he can get even better over the next couple of years. And I know we both feel pretty good about what Bortuzzo can do. So if Bortuzzo and Engelland are going to be a pair, we have to start playing them together consistently. If some other combinations/pairs are going to be made, then I think we need to establish those now, and get those guys playing together regularly.

I don't think Schultz is an upgrade, I don't think he's got a future here, he would take a spot away from players who are better/younger/have a future with us, and he will still cost an asset to acquire, and our tradeable assets are limited. And Nick Schultz has more value to EDM than he would for us, so I don't think it's worth whatever it would cost to acquire him. I think that we need to focus whatever moves we may make for a forward, not another defenseman. And I think this Eaton signing only re-enforces that idea.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
And I'm saying: I think the last thing we need is another bottom-pairing Dman.

I know that you and I share views on how good Engelland has been over the last year or so; and not only do I think he can maintain that, but I think he can get even better over the next couple of years. And I know we both feel pretty good about what Bortuzzo can do. So if Bortuzzo and Engelland are going to be a pair, we have to start playing them together consistently. If some other combinations/pairs are going to be made, then I think we need to establish those now, and get those guys playing together regularly.

I don't think Schultz is an upgrade, I don't think he's got a future here, he would take a spot away from players who are better/younger/have a future with us, and he will still cost an asset to acquire, and our tradeable assets are limited. And Nick Schultz has more value to EDM than he would for us, so I don't think it's worth whatever it would cost to acquire him. I think that we need to focus whatever moves we may make for a forward, not another defenseman. And I think this Eaton signing only re-enforces that idea.

I don't think Schultz is a bottom pairing defenseman. I think he could play the middle pair also. He plays around 20 mins a night now.

Your opinion is valid though.

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
like everyone else, i was ready to take to the streets with torches and pitchforks.

He's gone now, right? not lurking in the AHL waiting to take a spot, is he???

someone hold me...

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
holy freak lock this ***** up and get it off the first page ASAP before someone has a heart attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad