Confirmed with Link: Penguins Sign Cody Ceci, 1 Year $1.25M AAV

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Kind off topic kinda not... I am leaning more and more into the sign players year to year kind of deal... Well.... it's kinda been like that outside of the core... but those albatross contracts... yo.... that is one way of avoiding them.

Problem is, to state the obvious, most good players will ask for term and someone will give it to them. You match that term or you don't get the good players. What Ceci's done this year as a 1 year reclamation project isn't something you can really count on getting.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Problem is, to state the obvious, most good players will ask for term and someone will give it to them. You match that term or you don't get the good players. What Ceci's done this year as a 1 year reclamation project isn't something you can really count on getting.

Yeah some players have a hard top notch work ethic and you want to keep them around.... others.... do not. Once they get their pay day it's kinda ... eh.
I'd say that doesnt really happen all that often though.

I donno... just monday morning thinking out loud.

Reactions: Peat

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Lol at me who posts in the wrong thread.

Anyhow, who would be the most logical Ceci-esque targets if he does want too much term or AAV? Who's youngish, had a down year or two but has enough potential to be a good fit with Matheson?

Last edited:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I rather we keep ceci and give away Petterson. Maybe Seattle will take him in the expansion draft.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Thanks for a the strong year Ceci. If you want to get paid and term, you can do it somewhere else.

Thats my view. Pens have enough middle/bottom pair D with term. They need to rid themselves of at least one before I’m comfortable locking in a guy who had one good season after several disappointing ones.

If he values continuity and fit, I’d keep him on a 2 year 2-3m per deal at most and that’s pushing it.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Thanks for a the strong year Ceci. If you want to get paid and term, you can do it somewhere else.

Thats my view. Pens have enough middle/bottom pair D with term. They need to rid themselves of at least one before I’m comfortable locking in a guy who had one good season after several disappointing ones.

If he values continuity and fit, I’d keep him on a 2 year 2-3m per deal at most and that’s pushing it.
he has earned it, and i wish him nothing but the best...... but i hope he remembers what it was like playing for other teams and decides to stay for less because he likes it here.:crossfing

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
Best case scenario would probably be bribing Seattle to select MP and using some savings to retain Ceci.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Lol at me who posts in the wrong thread.

Anyhow, who would be the most logical Ceci-esque targets if he does want too much term or AAV? Who's youngish, had a down year or two but has enough potential to be a good fit with Matheson?

How about we just move on and plug in one of the other guys we have?

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-xx
MP-Marino
POJ-Ruh
Riikola-Friedman

I think we have enough dmen without Ceci. Marino’s raise kicks in next year so we likely need to shed cap just make that fit. Personally, I’d slide Marino up and see if he can work with Matheson.

Or another option (has been said already) is to get someone to take MP without cap coming back, sign Ceci and let POJ-Marino be a pair.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the issue with re-signing Ceci is that it complicates your cap structure for 2022-2023 if you give him any sort of term, where you may be forced to lose one of McCann or Rust if you do that. I think they already need to move Zucker this off-season and either Matheson or Pettersson next off-season to be cap compliant, so if you also re-sign Ceci, I think you're even tighter with the cap for 2022.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the issue with re-signing Ceci is that it complicates your cap structure for 2022-2023 if you give him any sort of term, where you may be forced to lose one of McCann or Rust if you do that. I think they already need to move Zucker this off-season and either Matheson or Pettersson next off-season to be cap compliant, so if you also re-sign Ceci, I think you're even tighter with the cap for 2022.

Tbf, nothing stopping the team for signing him for term this summer and trading him next summer, assuming we don't give him anything silly. My guess is we'll be a cap team next season and having to shift things next off-season whatever happens.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tbf, nothing stopping the team for signing him for term this summer and trading him next summer, assuming we don't give him anything silly. My guess is we'll be a cap team next season and having to shift things next off-season whatever happens.

I don't want to assume they'll do this because the Penguins haven't historically operated like this. The closest example I can think of was trading Hunwick after 1 year, but Hunwick was such a disaster that I think that's a little different.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

If I’m Ceci and I’m staying in Pittsburgh, I’m likely taking less than market, so I want some trade protection. Not sure what leverage he will have to get it, but I’d assume that would be important for him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't want to assume they'll do this because the Penguins haven't historically operated like this. The closest example I can think of was trading Hunwick after 1 year, but Hunwick was such a disaster that I think that's a little different.

It's not the norm for sure but it's there.

If I’m Ceci and I’m staying in Pittsburgh, I’m likely taking less than market, so I want some trade protection. Not sure what leverage he will have to get it, but I’d assume that would be important for him.

True dat. I doubt he'll have the leverage to get total - really, his best leverage is to outplay his contract so much nobody wants to move him - but it's definitely something that could come up.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Sign me up in this thread to eat major crow. I really thought Ceci was the latest in a series of "I can take you away from all this" JR reclamation fantasies. I was especially annoyed when he ate into like 60% of our remaining little cap room, and it felt like there were still some late signing UFA bargains on the market.

Well, pass me that crow. He's been everything we ever wanted and more, for pennies on the dollar. I just saw he had 17 points, which is on pace to totally smash his best season's point totals. I doubt his agent would let him do it, but bring him back for 2 more years at 2.5-3 million and I will be very happy. Just avoid the Jultz trap of too many years, too much money.

I think if Ceci walks, you just kind of assume that one of Ruhwedel or Friedman (or Riikola if he survives the purges) can work there until a better option appears.
Yup, those guys are pretty much ideal bottom pair options if Ceci walks. Maybe Will Reilly gets a look in next year.

That said, I think Ceci probably knows what side his bread is buttered on. With a UFA offer this summer giving him a "future securing" kind of money, he will be happy to come back for another year or two here, have another great season or two, and hit the market in Summer 2023 as a 29 year old UFA, having truly become a bonafide comeback player in the eyes of the league.

But just a random thought: I wonder if Ronny Francis is looking at the Matheson-Ceci pair here and thinking he could pick Matheson in the expansion draft (despite his contract) then sign Ceci as a UFA to to get them both as a set. Getting a ready-made pair that understand each other like that is almost like a two-for-one, and could go a long way to giving Seattle a little more stability in depth next year. Albeit at a cost of probably at least 7M AAV on the second pair.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yup, those guys are pretty much ideal bottom pair options if Ceci walks. Maybe Will Reilly gets a look in next year.

That said, I think Ceci probably knows what side his bread is buttered on. With a UFA offer this summer giving him a "future securing" kind of money, he will be happy to come back for another year or two here, have another great season or two, and hit the market in Summer 2023 as a 29 year old UFA, having truly become a bonafide comeback player in the eyes of the league.

But just a random thought: I wonder if Ronny Francis is looking at the Matheson-Ceci pair here and thinking he could pick Matheson in the expansion draft (despite his contract) then sign Ceci as a UFA to to get them both as a set. Getting a ready-made pair that understand each other like that is almost like a two-for-one, and could go a long way to giving Seattle a little more stability in depth next year. Albeit at a cost of probably at least 7M AAV on the second pair.

Honestly, in terms of future cap stuff, I think that would be one of the best possible scenarios. However, we'd still probably want to find someone with Matheson's kind of skillset at some point too, just because none of the other options (besides Letang) on the roster fits the need of having a mobile, transition defenseman. Or we'd have to hope that Petts - Marino grows into being a real second pairing and then hope that one of the young guys comes in from camp and has good chemistry with whoever our 3RD is going to be.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Honestly, in terms of future cap stuff, I think that would be one of the best possible scenarios. However, we'd still probably want to find someone with Matheson's kind of skillset at some point too, just because none of the other options (besides Letang) on the roster fits the need of having a mobile, transition defenseman. Or we'd have to hope that Petts - Marino grows into being a real second pairing and then hope that one of the young guys comes in from camp and has good chemistry with whoever our 3RD is going to be.

Yeah, that's a good point. It's been said in several of the PGTs that "nobody can do what Matheson does" in terms of skating, generating offense and creating an instant threat from the back end. I'm not in any hurry to lose that at all, and of the likely D losses to Seattle, on talent Math is probably the one I would least like to give up. But oooh dat cap flexibility if we managed to ditch his contract....

That said, I dont think there is any way in hell Seattle passes up on DeSmith. He's a guy we cant protect (or shouldnt with any bribery) and looking at the expansion draft options at G he is a standout. Unless of course Francis plans on throwing a big deal at Rask or Antti Raanta or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad